What Are You Reading??

• 1074 replies

moon over parma

Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2007, 05:49:06 AM »
God, what I'd give to be able to write like that.

Lesson one: Get a crazy, 300lb Chicano lawyer with really, really, really good connections.

Lesson two: see lesson one.

Final word of advice from the rumbling voice that lurks in the darkness that looms from dusk until dawn on the meadows of the heavily-fortified Owl Creek coumpound; out where the crazy never die, and maybe every blue moon a Brown Buffalo roams: "Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and then drive like a bastard from Hollywood to Las Vegas with the music at top volume and at least a pint of ether."
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 05:50:44 AM by moon over parma »

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2007, 06:11:44 AM »
Just reluctantly finished a re-reading of Hunter S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. God, what I'd give to be able to write like that. And/or to have his access to truly interesting drugs.  uuuuuuuuuu

China really isn't the place to be if you're into interesting drugs...
It is too early to say.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2007, 06:44:31 AM »
This is news to me, my friend. uuuuuuuuuu
Maybe it's all in Moon's connections thing....
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2007, 08:15:20 AM »
Reminds me - I have to take all my mom's books back.

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2007, 07:07:06 AM »
This is news to me, my friend. uuuuuuuuuu
Maybe it's all in Moon's connections thing....

Admittedly since meeting Mrs CD I haven't looked all that hard, but it appears to be all mongy Es, ketamine and very weak weed...
It is too early to say.

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2007, 11:35:01 AM »
I finished Shibumi which was great.

I'm halfway through with The Iliad.  I haven't read it in a long time, great stuff!

Any other Song of Fire and Ice fans?  George RR Martin spins a great yarn.
The things we touch have no permanence.

The Clan

• The Clan....hence the name.
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2007, 04:53:07 PM »
I just finished a fan book of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and I will so begin the real one afafafafaf.
GO BIG - OR GO HOME!!

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2007, 09:09:23 PM »
I just finished a fan book of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and I will so begin the real one afafafafaf.

I managed to get my hands on a few of those thinking they were the real thing... asasasasas asasasasas Now I'm just waiting until the official release! I've already pre-ordered my copy at one of the Beijing bookstores... Now, I'm re-reading HP and the half-blood prince to prepare myself.
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Mimi

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2007, 06:16:52 PM »
It seems like a lifetime, or at least a Main Era—that kind of peak that never comes again. San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run...

My central memory of that time seems to hang on one or five or maybe forty nights—or very early mornings—when I left the Fillmore half-crazy and, instead of going home, aimed the big 650 Lightning across the Bay Bridge at a hundred miles an hour wearing L. L. Bean shorts and a Butte sheepherder’s jacket ... booming through the Treasure Island tunnel at the lights of Oakland and Berkeley and Richmond, not quite sure which turn-off to take when I got to the other end ... but being absolutely certain that no matter which way I went I would come to a place where people were just as high and wild as I was ... You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning ...

And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave ...

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

HST.  At the time (was I 14? 15?) the most meaningful thing I had ever read. 

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2007, 08:00:47 PM »
Just finished Tiziano Terzani's 'A fortune teller told me'.  He is a journo with Der Spiegel and the book was the story of his travels for 12 months in Asia and across Europe only using land/sea transport and in the various countries visiting different fortune tellers.

Amazing story.

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2007, 03:32:26 AM »
Finished The Iliad

Now starting Laughing Sutra by Mark Salzman (Iron & Silk) and it's just a more updated version of Journey To The West, entertaining read.

The things we touch have no permanence.

anya

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2007, 04:06:29 PM »
^wow, you read the Iliad for pleasure? impressive!

I just finished Miss Wyoming by Douglas Coupland and now I am onto some cheesy Russian detective story. Actually, I thought I would be doing a lot more reading than I am in China... Time just seems to slip away!
"I want justice," I shouted.
"You'll get the law," he replied. "We gave up on justice long ago. The best we can do is law." -p. 207

Mimi

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2007, 04:22:41 PM »
I finished the new Harry Potter book today, which is why I am back on the internet.  Someone spoiled the last one for me, and I was bummed.

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2007, 09:09:08 PM »
I just finished the Deathly Hallows too. I thought it was absolutely brilliant. And now I am going to re-read Tristram Shandy.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

AMonk

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2007, 10:09:57 PM »
 asasasasas Amazon F***'d up my order (placed in February!!!), so I have to wait for HP book.  llllllllll Probably not here for another 2 weeks. bcbcbcbcbc

Presently in the middle of the Sackett family sagas (Louis L'Amour).  Some nice, light, Western time-fillers.
Moderation....in most things...