Poll

How do you feel about using strong/vulgar language in Saloon posts?

Doesn't bother me; cuss all ya want
35 (71.4%)
I find it offensive and I'd rather not see it here
14 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Cussin' in da Saloon

• 73 replies

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
Re: Cussin' in da Saloon
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2009, 06:02:26 PM »
 I just really don't understand why people are offended by swearing. I understand that some people are and censor myself here accordingly (no point in offending people when I can express basically the same idea with milder language) but wonder why I have to.

Having said that, excessive swearing is pointless and takes a lot of the power out of the words. However I would say the same thing about anyone who says "cool" or "awesome" too much. I am pretty much in a permanent state of hostility and anger, so I swear a lot...but I would like to think it's not excessive.

Bottom line...it's just words. You know, I met a girl a few years back who couldn't abide the word "fart". The "f word", the 4 letter "c word"...no problem. Say "fart" and she would get really upset. What does that tell you?

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2009, 07:35:08 PM »
Having said that, excessive swearing is pointless and takes a lot of the power out of the words. However I would say the same thing about anyone who says "cool" or "awesome" too much.

I think we have our answer!  To avoid concerns about censorship, and to appease the anti-fucker brigade, LET'S TAKE THE POWER OUT OF THE WORDS!  Institute an excessive swearing regime now!!!  Every post in every topic for any purpose should include at least one "fuck".  Awards will NOT be given for creativity.  Start desensitising today, people!

It'll be like surgery: a little pain now for a harmonious benefit later.  We are the world.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2009, 08:31:49 PM »
Damned bastards swearing in the saloon.  We should kill all those fucking assholes.   ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2009, 11:24:02 PM »
Talking about the 'Holy Fuck' thread - this was a poor choice for a title because it tells us NOTHING about what is in the actual thread.

As the author of that thread, let's provide context for the folks downstairs: that's a thread that's upstairs. It is not in the public forum. It is an appropriate title of the thread because it was the genuine feeling and words I used when referring to the subject of the thread, which was posted in one part of the forum that was devoted to a singular, particular subject. Its title was not gratuitous and mirrors exactly the content of the initial post. Taken into context it was absolutely not gratuitous and not at all used in an insulting, trolling, attacking manner.

Sorry to the folks downstairs about the vague nature of what I refer to; I think it's bad form to bring up discussions the general public won't be able to see, and I think it's doubly unfair because you're making a direct example of something they cannot see for themselves and thus form their own opinion after examination, though members can view the thread one day, upon earning barfly status).

concerning the actual topic on hand: the vote at the top of this thread pretty much says it all. A vocal minority cannot find it in themselves to simply ignore a few words that upset them. If we police ourselves for their sake, shouldn't they be able to police their morality from infringing upon the privileges of others by having the gumption and maturity to simply ignore the posters or the posts that seem to offend them? I do that all the time with the propaganda all over this fine country and still manage to enjoy a good chunk of my life here, in China. It's omnipresent, often offensive, and inescapable, but I don't feel the need to run up to Beijing and tell them to turn down the volume. I adapt, I survive and I thrive.

It's easier done than said, actually. Such a rarity.
"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2009, 11:36:25 PM »
And there are members no longer posting in the Saloon because of that attitude.  bibibibibi

I like the Saloon.  I have been a member here for a long time.  I like and respect Raoul and the other moderators.

However, the general tone of the forum has changed in the last few months.  I can't say who, because it isn't any one specific person.  However, many members no longer feel 'safe' to post any longer.

There is a general lack of respect of other members now, not just the ladies.  I won't say there are any specific attacks, but yet the camaraderie is gone. Before if we made a mistake it was ignored or we got a 'laugh' pointing at us.  Now it is different.

The bantering between George and Stil and Raoul and Eric was common among many other members. No longer.

Yes maybe I am  offtopic here, but it fits with the general attitude being expressed on this thread.   bibibibibi

Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2009, 12:09:34 AM »
I think that if a close examination was taken, we would find that most of the swearing would be in the frivolous threads. Any personal cussin would have been jumped on very quickly...and rightly so!
This IS the Saloon, remember, and conversations usually reflect that. We occasionally have little brawls, but the Bartender drags out his baseball bat and things cool down. I don't feel that swearing has gotten any worse than it was in the Saloon MK1. It's just that there is no Robocop here.
Calmeth downeth, peoples. There are worse things happening in the world!
However, the general tone of the forum has changed in the last few months.
That's because we are growing, DS, and the membership has become more diverse. Shit, we even let Danish people join!! ahahahahah ahahahahah
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Schnerby

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2009, 12:29:17 AM »

However, the general tone of the forum has changed in the last few months.  I can't say who, because it isn't any one specific person. 

I agree. Some more aggressive members are certainly impacting on the overall vibe. This is linked to an increase in aggression and vulgarity. Notice I don't say an increase in swearing - because swearing is not necessarily vulgar (IMHO).

And, Spag, my example from upstairs was silly. Of course general members can't see it, so it makes no sense to post it here.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2009, 01:11:12 AM »
I found this when I was researching cuss words today.  Very interesting discussion about origins.  I also noted that democracy is not intended to be rule by the majority - ie mob rule - but also intended to protect the rights of minorities.  However, as RD will point out - this is NOT a democracy.  But it is a community.  When people are not feeling safe about posting, because of negativity, perceived aggression, lack of respect, loss of camaraderie, then maybe this is a symptom of a bigger problem?  mmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmm

http://madfishwillies.mu.nu/archives/011066.html

I've already said I use these words at specific times.  Therefore I cannot swear I never use them, and find them so offensive I would never use them.  I do and have.  BUT ... I voted against their use here, because I know it offends some people, people I value.  So for me, it's no biggie to not do something that others will find offensive.  Just like not smoking in someone's house. 

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2009, 03:09:30 AM »
Curbing language...  it's not an exercise in domination?

Perhaps we could have a dress code too.

(I vote for Speedos and a halter top.)

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2009, 03:14:03 AM »
Here's the summary: no one can make anyone not to cuss. But just as we are considerate to people in our real life and know when to cuss, we should do the same here. Especially because we call ourselves teachers, educators. Some respect in general posts and heads up about special post wouldn't just be nice, but would be an appropriate thing to do.

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2009, 03:27:52 AM »
So it's not a domination move by you... it's respect for ourselves and our roles?

Because we're not the ones who define our roles.  Our roles are a given as part of one larger, modest, harmonious togetherness?

Dude, you're pushing your luck.

(And so too am I.  High heels with the Speedos.)

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2009, 03:46:15 AM »
I'm not pushing my luck. I have been here for a long time and the quality of threads and the language has been going down. I know a few people who stopped even reading because of that. And I personally have very little desire to read or post.

Anyway, I am still posting about it because I care. I have great friends here and I hope for this place to be pleasant for anyone who lurks or posts.

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2009, 03:59:39 AM »
Yeah, you are.  For example, you didn't see that I denied my role as teacher can have a wider claim on my life.  That I am a teacher does NOT preclude me from using vulgar language outside of a classroom.  I don't need to keep up appearances.  I remain a teacher however vulgar I choose to be largely because I do not rely on moving the students to love and respect me as a precondition to being effective.  They love and respect me after I teach.

Likewise, I don't totally need to have people respect me here before I post.  I take it to be that if I post something true and useful, then perhaps something comes to pass resembling wanting to jump my bones.

Content before image.

And besides, in real life I curse, like, once a week.  I believe in understatement and a low voice because it doesn't matter what other people think, because I'll be wanting to convince myself before I convince anyone else... and I'll be wanting to convince myself of truth.  That done, it isn't necessary to have another person's agreement.  I won't, in principle at least, need to please or appease them, the ideas'll speak louder than me.

(Hardly ever works that way, but I like it as a theory and I'm stuck with it as a practice.:))
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 04:08:22 AM by Calach Pfeffer »

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2009, 04:25:03 AM »
I am not pointing finger though :) Anyway, I am out of this thread. Time to click *mark all read* yet again. Cheers :)

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2009, 04:34:23 AM »
What a load. Might be time to jump off this sinking ship.