Recommend a laptop

• 88 replies
Re: Recommend a laptop
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2012, 04:57:55 AM »
The Dell XT2 looks good. In fact, with 3GB RAM it looks great but I think it's disco'ed.

« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2012, 06:37:20 AM »
Tablets? Pffft. I'm not a big gamer, but I have my Halo and IGI2 and maybe one day I'll work up to CoD, so gotta be able to play the FPSz.

Yeah, that Transformer's a tablet I think. A bit limited for my purposes too.
We done now.

fox

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2012, 11:39:46 PM »
Tablets? Pffft. I'm not a big gamer, but I have my Halo and IGI2 and maybe one day I'll work up to CoD, so gotta be able to play the FPSz.

Yeah, that Transformer's a tablet I think. A bit limited for my purposes too.

once you have tried one you will never look back. the transformer outstrips the xt2 in pretty much all respects. android is the future and more and more apps are being written for it.  microsoft is heading for the graveyard with the new linux being android. Heck you can even run windows 7 on the a good tablet if you wanted.

A tablet isnt a gaming machine - you can do all your work on it and more.
regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value.

« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2012, 01:15:34 AM »
What I have learned about laptops these days:

Lenovo's commitment to quality in the Thinkpad line no longer exists. They have high-end laptops with very desirable specs that also come with issues that cause much anger in the community. Fans and lcd screens are issues.

Acer can't brand for shit. They may have fabulous laptops but the only thing differentiating them is a string of letters and numbers. Acer Aspire 3478956dbv vs Acer Aspire w458u vs Acer Aspire 34785g DOES NOT HELP ME CHOOSE YOUR PRODUCT!

Other kinds of computer exist too, such as Toshiba and Dell. And, dear companies, I know your names but I don't know your products. YOU AND EVERY OTHER COMPANY MAKE UGLY BLACK AND SILVER AND, FOR GOD'S SAKE, MATT WHITE?!?!?! FOLDING THINGS THAT ARE SUPPOSED TO BE COMPUTERS BUT HOW WOULD I KNOW?!?!?

And Macs are some kind of totemic object that I don't understand either.

I WANT TO SPEND MY MONEY. WHY DOES EVERY COMPANY OFFER SUCH BAD DEALS>!@
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2012, 03:34:51 AM »

Only if you decide to make it so. I use Macs. They are well built, easy to set up and easy to use.

They're just computers.

« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2012, 03:57:18 AM »
Perhaps something happened in my childhood. I know there was an Apple II where my father worked and later there was a "1984" Macintosh that lay in wait in the postgrad room in my department at university. I COULD BE BLOCKING OUT SO MUCH!

In other news, was considering the Thinkpad E420. Fried my brains most of today trying to make sense of what compromises it entails. Gave up.

So I don't want to jinx it, but maybe I like the Lenovo Y470p Ideapad now.

Borkya

« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2012, 03:38:16 PM »

I was a PC'er for my whole life. I also didn't understand mac's. But this winter I found myself in the apple store, and with Hong Kong prices (cheaper than US) in addition with a "education" discount I found myself buying my first Mac ever.

There was a period of adjustment, but it was surprisingly short and now I love, love, LOVE my mac.

« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2012, 04:04:04 PM »
Oh yeah? I think there may in fact have been something in my youth. That Macintosh in the postgrads room was the only computer on offer (it was a small room) and try as I might, I couldn't make it actually do anything. Well, excluding making run a very attractive program called as I recall Moire. The patterns it drew on the screen were configurable and that was kinda fun. Hypnotic too, now that I think on it... aoaoaoaoao

MacBooks appear to have similar specs to Y470 Ideapads at roughly double the price...

It's ironic, I suppose. I teach branding. Well, an introduction to branding anyway. So I have the tools to know I'm not actually arguing product merit here.

ETA: the basic thing any laptop I buy will do is sit on the corner of the desk and be plugged into everything else: usb keyboard on a long cord, usb mouse on a long cord, 22in lcd monitor (on a short cord), and the woofer and speaker system. I wish it mostly just to run fast, not get too hot, have enough usb ports, and be quiet. And once in a blue moon, be carried somewhere new.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 04:10:44 PM by Calach Pfeffer »

« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2012, 05:48:26 PM »
I don't have a Mac but I will by the beginnng of next term...I know nothing about computers, Calach...but a Mac is just so....so...shiny agagagagag agagagagag My brother, who is an IT wiz-kid, swears that Mac is the dog's bollocks...so I recommend a Mac...Come now, Calach....join the cult...drink the Kool-Ade...you know you want to agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2012, 07:55:05 PM »
Shiny dog's bollocks?

THIS MAY NOT BE AS TEMPTING AS YOU THINK

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2012, 01:04:58 AM »

MacBooks appear to have similar specs to Y470 Ideapads at roughly double the price...

Specs for what? How fast the CPU is? How much RAM? Hard Drive Space?

What about the quality of the components rather than the numbers? How's the build quality?

When the hardware is built with the software together, do the specs need to be as high to to have the same result?

Lenovo is a good brand. I like them but you are no longer paying a tax if you get a Mac. The build quality  is really damn good.

You don't have to join the cult. The meetings are not mandatory. We won't tell if you don't pay the tithe.

« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2012, 02:56:18 AM »
Specs for I DON'T KNOW WHAT!

Computers have been disappointing me since the very first one I ever bought, a noname 386 pc. The disappointment is not in the interface or the usability or whatever. It's in.. I dunno... the permanent compromises. The cutting edge or the newest thing is never like it is in movies. It's never super fast and special. There's always something it doesn't do. IT'S ALL A LIE! TECHNOLOGY IS A LIE!

There was actually a news article I forget where recently, about that very thing. We don't live in an especially innovative age. Great leaps forward aren't happening. What is happening is incremental.

So I can't invest in a Mac. They cost too much and will deliver too little, just like any computer. I WAS GOING TO BUY A T420s THINKPAD FOR GOD'S SAKE. Spec'D out the way I wanted, it would have been about 24,000 yuan. And it would have worked too. If it weren't for the stupid fans they have in them. There's just too many bad reports and I'm not an IT department. I can't afford to buy 100 of them and send back 15.

CAPITALISM IS TOO CRUEL AND BRANDS ARE CAKE!

Monkey King

« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2012, 03:22:26 AM »
My friend who is into that sort of thing built my desktop PC for me from scratch...when it broke and of course I couldn't fix it (and he wasn't around), I took it to the local computer market and while they were fixing it they told me it was a really impressive computer.

« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2012, 04:47:18 PM »
Desktops imply a settled life.

THIS WAS NEVER ABOUT TECHNOLOGY

« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2012, 08:12:10 PM »
Ideapad 470p: purchased. 5,200 yuan.

And that's game over for another two-to-four years.

The actual selling point on this'n for me was it's spec'd out enough and reports say it's particularly easy to install an aftermarket mSATA SSD. But that's for some other day.