We Got 'GONGED!

• 80 replies

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: We Got 'GONGED!
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2011, 08:15:28 PM »
Just saw another sign of those crazy gongheads a few days ago.

I was sorting my stray 1 RMB notes after shopping, getting change on the bus, etc. and notice that someone had decided to redecorate one of them.  They added a zero to change it from a 1 to a 10 (also edited it in Chinese) and drew glasses on the Chairman.  Very middle-school, but still slightly amusing.  I showed it to my fiancee and she turned the bill over and started reading some additions to the back side of the bill.

It was a message from the gongsters calling on officials to leave the party and join their cult.  I'm pretty sure a defaced 1 RMB note is not going to have any effect as a recruiting tool, but it's kind of creepy knowing they are around and trying.

I'm not sure what to do with that piece of money.  I'd hate to be reported as the one who spent it.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2011, 07:53:44 PM »
EL, either use it to pay for a bus trip or hide it amungst a pile of others when you pay for a cab or groceries (not at your local hang out)

The g/f went home last weekend, about 2 hours by bus. On the return one of them sat next to her and "chatted". She said he was about 80 years old placing him around 1930 or 19 y-o when 1949 rolled around. She said she never spoke a word to him, played her MP5 and dozed off. She hates them!
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2011, 10:18:50 PM »
During winter break my (Chinese) fiancee and I visited the US, and went to the Chinatown in my city. A little old lady on a street corner gave my fiancee a "How to leave the Comm. Party" pamphlet, published by the Gongs. She was pretty upset by and about the whole thing.

Edit: Which reminds me: When I taught in Changchun I lived in an apartment block populated entirely by Chinese retirees. One of the old couples in the building was arrested by the police for being Gong activists, and all the flats had multi-page letters glued to the door, telling us who was arrested, why they were arrested, and that we would be arrested if we did the same.

Frankly, both sides of the equation leave a bad taste in my mouth.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 02:49:31 AM by El Macho »

« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2011, 10:53:52 PM »
I was in HK recently, and there was an open (small) display with FG stuff out in the middle of a very busy street.  My (Chinese) missus stopped and looked at it, she wasn't sure what it was, written in the old language as it was, but I saw the words and pulled her away. 

Even though it didn't seem to be a big thing down there, I wanted nothing to do with it!

www.ChinarensBlog.com - My blog
www.TomeCity.com - Writing/story site

fen

« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2011, 04:40:32 PM »
I usually say that I don't believe in any specific religion.  I believe you should treat others like you want them to treat you.  If you are nice to someone and they aren't nice back - their loss not my loss.
    bfbfbfbfbf  philosophic.

Paul

« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2011, 04:45:49 AM »
I usually say that I don't believe in any specific religion.  I believe you should treat others like you want them to treat you.
    bfbfbfbfbf  philosophic.

And complicated.  Maybe you're a masochist.  Then the Golden Rule is a little inadequate.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2011, 09:32:03 PM »
Well, isn't that special. mmmmmmmmmm
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2011, 08:42:24 AM »
bümp
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2011, 11:33:56 PM »
Our house was Gonged today! Some guy dropped off FG literature on our doorstep, I saw his back walking away just as I was leaving my house. When I came back home I didn't really look closely and thought it was just advertising and brought it inside and put it on the table. My husband was leafing through the stuff on the table and was like "where did you get this?" Told him some guy left it at the door and he proceeded to tear it up, then burn it.

These FG folks are pretty balsy, I would have thought they'd have been more circumspect. It was about 4:30pm, so lots of people are at home or just coming home, and it is snowing today some folks are mostly inside. He could easily have been caught.

« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2011, 01:12:04 AM »
A year ago I was stopped on the street in Dalian by 3 people who gave me some DVD's about Spring Festival (and maybe some papers).  I was with my Chinese teacher at the time.  He said throw it away it is bad.  It was FG videos.  They are everywhere!!
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

xwarrior

« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2011, 03:12:44 AM »
It was FG videos.  They are everywhere!!

Yes. A woman on a bike pulled alongside me in the street and gave me one of those 'entertainment' videos. I had no idea of the contents until I had a look later that night.

The next day I dumped it in a rubbish bin a block away from my college.
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2011, 03:13:26 AM »
It's pretty pathetic that they're as good as the CIA can do fomenting dissent.

Those anonymous phone calls they're able to make are pretty impressive, though.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2012, 12:35:25 PM »
The next day I dumped it in a rubbish bin a block away from my college.
Noooo! Save it to use in blackmailing your school owner. uuuuuuuuuu

« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2013, 02:51:14 AM »
Has anybody else received 1 yuan notes with FG stuff printed on them?

Got one a while back that had their three word mantra printed on it.

They are getting really creative! I kept one for a while as a sort of souvenir, which I now realise was a little stupid. Luckily I absent-mindedly spent it one day and got rid of it.

« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2013, 03:17:29 AM »
What's that? Is it legal tender? Where is this wording you're talking about?
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.