Now That China Has Done 0+0, Will Foreigners Rush In?

• 3 replies

Ivyman

Now That China Has Done 0+0, Will Foreigners Rush In?
« on: December 27, 2022, 07:04:32 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I heard 0+0 will take place on January 8th.

Interestingly, I feel intimdated. I realize that most of us got jobs we would not get before, with 10-20% pay raises, just because of demand vs. supply. I predict that will change.

Any ideas?

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: Now That China Has Done 0+0, Will Foreigners Rush In?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2022, 05:26:11 AM »
I doubt there will be an instant massive stampede of new foreign teachers.  A lot of people who wanted to come to China over the last few years have found other things to do.  Also, Z visas require paperwork and Spring Festival is nearly here.  There will likely be more competition for FT assignments later, but my best guess is that we're looking at Fall 2023 before competition levels begin to rise significantly and 2024 before it reaches a level comparable to 2019.

What I do expect to see a lot more of is reps from foreign companies showing up to check out the factories of Chinese partners.  A lot of these used to make several trips per year, but quarantines were enough to make many reduce or eliminate visits.  Once Spring Festival is over, business class seats on airplanes will be in much greater demand.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 06:29:54 PM »
with the recent surge of new cases, and the attendant coverage this has gotten outside, don't expect a sudden surge of new teachers. Even the first class business travelers will be looking to postpone their already overdue visits until things settle down. That may take some time.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023, 02:49:51 AM »
I'm one of the 'wait and see' crowd.
I still have a part time job teaching for a Chinese university and they still want me to come, but I'm not going to plan anything until next September at least. My current main job is decent and who the hell knows what the current regime's idea will be over the coming year. It depends on things that I'm way too dumb to predict like their economy, how Covid pans out, and of course Chairman Xi