When Can China Import Expat Teachers Again?

• 28 replies

Ivyman

Re: When Can China Import Expat Teachers Again?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2021, 04:23:06 AM »
Thank you very much.

This process is difficult for me to understand.

But, I am trying to get natives and non-native English speakers to China.

I applaud the Chinese government for managing everything.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2021, 04:13:24 PM »
Focus on getting a couple of native speakers in first.  Those will be more straightforward and give you an idea of how the system of invites and visas is currently running.  Even then, some aspects of a new visa and permission to get on a plane to China will vary even within a country - based on which consulate the person goes through (not an issue if it's a smaller country with only an embassy and no consulates).

If you're successful with that, then if there's a place ready to consider non-native speakers, get ready for some really interesting paperwork.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Ivyman

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2021, 07:08:46 PM »
Thank you much.  Escaped Lunatic, and everyone else who is active, you make this forum quite informative.

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2022, 06:31:10 PM »
The risk of detention will need to be lessened too.  Right now, the risk of disappearing into "isolation" - quarantine + test positive + different regulations in different places..... Best case is you have two weeks quarantine when you arrive, but that best case is not guaranteed at all.

in my opinion, China has had it's opening phase. That phase was over about ten years ago. The kind of shutting down we've seen over the last two years is an acceleration of a trend.

Personally, I still have some things I want to do in China. But I'm starting to think even looking at a 2023 return might be ambitious. Depends on the 20th National Congress, I think. Zero Covid until then. Who knows what comes after
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2022, 04:43:04 PM »
No one is disappearing.  Q hotels have at least adequate WiFi.  Of course, having a phone with an international data plan is a good backup.

The time can and will vary.  Right now, a few cities are experimenting with shortening the quarantine period.  If some new variant pops up with a longer incubation period, then quarantine might be extended everywhere.  In general, you can get a fairly good idea at how long Q will be by checking the absolute latest regulations for your arrival city a few days before getting on the plane.  To be safe, the best bet is to count on all time of "home quarantine" or "community health monitoring" to really be more time in a Q hotel.

Yes, if you turn positive, you will be isolated (still with WiFi) until the local health department is sure you are cured.  Since different people recover at different rates, there's no firm answer on how long a positive person will be spending in an isolation ward or Q hotel.
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2022, 02:01:01 PM »
No one is disappearing.

Everyone is disappearing.

From the U.S. to China: A 3-Month Quarantine Horror Story

A lawyer flew home to China hoping to see his family for the first time since the pandemic began. Instead, he was trapped in three months of quarantine.

Q hotels have at least adequate WiFi.  Of course, having a phone with an international data plan is a good backup.

The time can and will vary.  Right now, a few cities are experimenting with shortening the quarantine period.  If some new variant pops up with a longer incubation period, then quarantine might be extended everywhere.  In general, you can get a fairly good idea at how long Q will be by checking the absolute latest regulations for your arrival city a few days before getting on the plane.  To be safe, the best bet is to count on all time of "home quarantine" or "community health monitoring" to really be more time in a Q hotel.

Yes, if you turn positive, you will be isolated (still with WiFi) until the local health department is sure you are cured.  Since different people recover at different rates, there's no firm answer on how long a positive person will be spending in an isolation ward or Q hotel.

It's not virus science that governs what happens to you in China.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2022, 09:28:14 PM »
The good news is there's a test run of 10 days inbound Q time going in right now in multiple cities.  If that works out well, we should see some more inbound traffic.
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2022, 10:40:06 AM »
10 days in Q I can understand. With periodic testing, that should be sufficient. 3 weeks or more? I doubt that is protecting anyone.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2022, 07:59:38 PM »
Let's hope there aren't any weird people or strains of the virus that take more than 10 days to show.

If we can get Q down to 10 days, I'm hoping the "must fly from your home country" starts getting some exceptions.  I've got a few places I'd like to go and I'd rather not have a mandatory detour to the USA in order to get back from every international trip.
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2022, 11:21:09 PM »
When getting sick is no longer immoral, that's when it'll be safe to go there.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2022, 07:31:45 PM »
Being sick isn't immoral.  Spreading a contagious disease when there are known methods to prevent the spread is immoral.

There's no safety issue going to China.  There is a quarantine.  If you turn positive while in quarantine, you'll be held until you are no longer contagious.  Quarantines have been used around the world for centuries for a very good reason - if they are done properly, they can be very effective at preventing a disease from spreading.  Try getting an active case of Tuberculosis and refusing treatment in the west if you want to see how quickly you can find yourself involuntarily isolated by the Health Department.

https://www.cdc.gov/tb/programs/laws/menu/emergencydetention.htm#:~:text=E.,threat%20to%20the%20public's%20health.

Mass lockdowns are what saved China when there was no vaccine and testing was still being developed.  This also worked well in New Zealand and would have worked better in Australia if protocols had been observed.  Restrictions and mass testing generally work faster and better.  My city had a limited lockdown recently and crushed Omicron fairly quickly.  A number of other cities did the same.  Jilin and Changchun dropped the ball, but are on the fast track back to zero cases.  I have no idea how Shanghai let things get as bad as they did, but the numbers are falling.  Other countries can complain about temporary supply chain interruptions, but they are ignoring their own larger internal supply chain issues that have been brought on by having so many workers get sick from wave after wave of uncontrolled Covid.

Meanwhile, doctors are still studying the Covid-related alterations to grey matter in the human brain, even in asymptomatic cases.  Maybe these changes are unimportant.  Maybe they will lead to far worse problems a decade or two later.
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2022, 02:39:01 AM »
Nah man. Quarantine, lockdown, and treatment for illness are all risky in China. It's ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

But then, China has always been a risky place to visit. And expat teachers have always accepted some safety and health compromises. It'd be super interesting to know how off-putting the current set of compromises really are. Maybe they aren't.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2022, 03:32:37 PM »
I'd still like to go back to China but I just can't see it happening for a while. Considering the mess in in Shanghai I've written off 2022.
It's pretty much back to normal in Europe, you can travel easily with a vaccine, I saw that south Asia is opening up again as well.  I suspect that the CCP kind of enjoys having an excuse

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2022, 08:39:49 PM »
Good news on a couple of fronts.

The experiment with 10 days in Q hotels must be going well.  7 days for inbound quarantine has been proposed (plus 7 of community health monitoring).  Let's hope that quickly moves from proposal to experiment to policy.

And the bigger news.  For the time being, Hong Kong is open to foreigners.  From many places, the tickets are cheaper and there's no "must fly from your home country" rule. If you already have a Chinese visa this is another way to get to China.  I know someone who's helped a few people do this, so it appears to be a valid option.

You would need to book your HK Q hotel in advance.  Once out, you'll likely need one more day to do testing to get into China.  There are two options.  1.  Land crossings (which currently allow 800 people per day and there's a lottery - I have NO idea how many people are applying, so can't guess how many days you would need on average to score a ticket).  Then you get a new round of Q in Shenzhen (check for latest info on how long this will be).  2.  Go back to the airport and fly from HK to the closest mainland airport you can get to your destination and spend round 2 of Q there.  Sadly, still no connecting flights from outside to China via HK yet, so there's no way to avoid HK Q.

It's not for everybody, but every new option cracks the door a little wider for those who need to get into China.

EscapedLunatic.com