At Present, Where is the Best Place To Buy a Computer?

• 5 replies

Ivyman

At Present, Where is the Best Place To Buy a Computer?
« on: December 26, 2020, 01:42:16 AM »
Hi Guys,

Before we get into specifics, thanks for being a supportive forum.  Other major forums, like Dave's ESL, may be great in number.  But, I have not found the focus, help, and support on here.  Thanks again for making living in China that much better.

1.  My current situation is, my computer is dying of old age, about 4 years old.

It was given, on special order, on a trip to Hong Kong.  It has been great, and exceeded all my expectations.  That is a good and rare thing.

2.  However, I need a new computer.  Normally, I would simply fly down to Hong Kong, go to the big centers, or small centers, and bring it back.

But, with all quarantines, that is not feasible, even if money was no option.

3.  I should say I have never really cared about brand.  I will even buy new or used.

Rather, I just want good "bang for the buck," "value," or "purchasing power" for whatever money I send. 

4.   My contact, in Shenzhen, who got me the good deal last time, and has some experience with technology, says just to use JD.com.

5.  What do you guys think?

a.  Try to contact well-rated sellers in HK, and have them mail me a computer?

b.  Buy in China, on JD.com?

c.  Buy used, from a vendor?

6.  Of course, a detailed answer will be more convincing than a simple answer.

Thanks

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: At Present, Where is the Best Place To Buy a Computer?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 06:22:54 PM »
Are you in one of the Tier 1 or Tier 2 cities?  If so, find out where the nearest "Computer City" is.  No, not the US retail chain.  Instead, it's a big place with hundreds of shops.

Once you find one, you've got 2 choices:

1.  Look around the front entrance.  Each major brand will have one or two authorized sellers.  If you don't see computers on display when coming in the main entrance, you either came in the wrong door or else accidentally ended up at the electronics market.

2.  If you want a big customized tower computer, go in deeper.  You can find places that will start with an empty case and fill it with whatever hardware you desire.

The drawback is that either you get the Chinese release of Windows 10 or a not quite legal version of the English release.  It's usually possible to add a language to Windows, but it may be fun finding that option if you don't have good skill reading Chinese.

I usually go to Hong Kong to buy laptops (for some reason I've never figured out, they often have more RAM than similar ones in the mainland), but if mine develops problems anytime soon, computer city is better that one (or two!) quarantines getting into and out of HK.

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Ivyman

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 03:40:01 AM »
Thanks, EscapedLunatic.

You have always been a resourceful and generous wealth of knowledge.

1.  While jewelry, precious metals, high end watches, etc. are better deals in HK, it sounds like computers are a better price in HK, but only marginally so.  I will look.

2.  I can at least contact people in HK.

They can probably mail it across the border.  I know, it must look used, so as to not be taxed.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 07:19:44 AM »
Also keep in mind that there is a lot of HK stock in the mainland so even on taobao, some vendors do offer HK models with your choice of language as far as the OS goes.

alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Ivyman

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 06:49:15 AM »
Thanks.

1.  I bought a computer on JD.Com. 

I simply typed in "computer" in Chinese.  I looked at the top with the best "average customer reviews".

2.  JD.com is great.  Even in lockdown, delivery within 48 hours.

3.  I did buy an English version of Windows, from MyPengYou1, for 65 RMB. 

4.  In all, I am happy to be online, with all the stuff.

Thanks for the advice, on my midterm computer.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 05:48:39 PM »
 agagagagag
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com