Poll

My computer wants me to udate to Windows 10.  What is YOUR thought on this?

Go ahead and let it.  It's DaBomb!
1 (50%)
Delete the option.  TOXIC!  Danger, Will Robinson!
0 (0%)
Wait a while (like 6 months) before upgrading. Can't be too hasty with new stuff!
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: June 18, 2015, 11:21:44 PM

Windows 10

• 23 replies
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 02:15:58 PM »
Ahem. The term of art is "tinkerer" - has no hacking skillzors, but likes to google product info anyway. For instance, I just discovered you can get Macs in black.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 06:41:31 PM »
One thing about Windows 10 (and I guess this was true of Windows 8 too), is rather than being an operating system you add things to, there's shit you have to remove. Well, you don't have to. But if you wish to retain control over what gets communicated from your PC, then there's a lot to be suspicious of. For starters, every version of Windows 10 except Enterprise will send information about your computer and your computer use back to Microsoft *and their partners*.

Furthermore, Microsoft provides a lot of apparently simple apps as default and who the hell knows what they do once they're finished displaying your pictures, movies, documents, etc. How closely are they tied to this "telemetry" Microsoft collects, and why are they so simple to use you can't change any settings? Replacing them with genuinely useful programs is easy(ish). Removing them is difficult. You have to screw around with Powershell.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not new. Google and Apple do this too. Further than that though, large scale exploitation of unowned resources is not in the least new. Oil, coal, gas, fisheries, forests, the goddamned air you used to breath... and now "telemetry". As with all unowned resources, a generation too late we're going to discover that, well shit, all that crap the companies collected and exploited for profit, we did own it, no matter how often they said it was just stuff they found.

I think probably Windows 10 can be made mostly safe to use. I'm annoyed at all the crap I have to learn first. What set me off this time was discovering that Microsoft has finally done it, they've included directories on your computer that you can't access without complicated shenanigans akin to the gaining of "root access" in Android. (\Program Files\WindowsApps) The difference with Android is huge numbers of people do it. In Windows, it's a throw your hands in the air kind of deal and you have to ask is it all worth it.

And it is all worth it? It might not be. I haven't worked out what benefits Windows 10 offers yet.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 06:48:48 PM by Calach Pfeffer »

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2015, 04:22:44 PM »
I'm gonna give it a miss until we get to 10.1
Much like windows 8, Microsoft will bow to pressure and remove some of the useless and invasive crap IMHO.

Problem is and will continue to be that no matter what they do, a lot of the world is still running on XP like ATMs, POS machines etc... yes, you money is hidden behind an XP interface. aoaoaoaoao aoaoaoaoao
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2015, 04:50:44 PM »
Nolefan and Calach -->  What about Apple?  Is it better or the same thing with a different name?   mmmmmmmmmm

If I was to buy a new computer, which would offer the best system?
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2015, 08:41:20 PM »
Of Windows 10, I would say it is presently a system in transition. Functionally, it is presently no worse than Windows 7. That is likely to improve with software updates. But be that as it may, Windows itself has changed. Or is trying to. In fact, Windows 10 is a mutant of sorts. The basic, independent operating system meant to make one machine work for you like it always did is still (mostly) present in Windows 10. But, seems to me, influenced heavily by the story of phones, Microsoft is also offering simplified default apps (so that more complex, more capable apps can be held back and offered for money in the App Store), and making internal operation of the os invisible while hoping consumers will move more of their content into "the cloud" (which by default Microsoft would prefer be the OneDrive cloud, offering perhaps sign-in services like Office360). I am suspicious of these changes. They put a lot of control into Microsoft's hands. Which isn't really an issue if you're not as paranoid as me. But it is still true that Windows 10 is two kinds of system squished together. I don't know how it rates compared to OS X.

Windows 10 is not bad. It just seems to require more thinking about consequences than other Windows have seemed to in the past. It's making me angry, because I actually would like to try the newy newish newness of it for real, but I want to know what I'm losing in the bargain and I'm not sure.

Probably Apple does this stuff better. Seems to me synchronising every device and connecting all the things has been the Apple province for a while. Every Apple person seems to talk about their toys in that way anyway.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 08:51:55 PM by Calach Pfeffer »

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2015, 10:44:19 PM »
Nolefan and Calach -->  What about Apple?  Is it better or the same thing with a different name?   mmmmmmmmmm

If I was to buy a new computer, which would offer the best system?
I'm an IT guy by trade... I recommend the best solution to every user based on their need, may it be windows, linux or mac. for my own personal purposes, I've used macs since 1992. that should mean something.
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2016, 02:07:11 AM »
Anyone using Win10 yet?

I've had it for a while on the number two laptop, mostly just to see how awful it is. I've got Win7 on the main laptop and don't think I'll be changing soon. Win10 even looks shady. It's chunky and has no sheen. The browser, Edge, lacks extensions, and does an odd thing where it never remembers where it opened last. I often have to move it back into place. Plus, the sheer number and variety of things you have to turn off before the OS will stop calling home is unpleasant. I sincerely doubt I found them all. So how many apps want to check in with servers? What telemetry is collected? How many chunks of your actual data are sent off for inspection? What are all the settings you have to watch? I'll never know.

I reinstalled the whole thing yesterday, Windows 10 Enterprise this time, mostly just to see if I could, and to see if there really is an Win10 that doesn't track.  That last little tricky bit where you have to use the group policy editor.... and I still don't know if everything's turned off.

Also, when the new installation starts up, instead of the "Windows is starting..." message, you get this:

Hi

We're happy you're here

Lots of great features to get excited about

Getting everything ready for you

Let's start

We're happy you are here?! It's my computer in my apartment.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:12:24 AM by Calach Pfeffer »

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2018, 12:42:58 AM »
Two modestly tweaky tools for making Windows 10 less hateful...

Disassembler0's Win 10 Intial Setup Script - for when you first run Windows 10 and want to do most of your settings tweaks and bloatware removal in one hit. It won't break anything, but it definitely changes things (for the better, imo). read up on what it changes before you run it.

and

Open Shell (a continuation of ClassicShell) - a start menu replacement that allows among other things the replacement of that weird touch screen-centric Win10 start menu with a very much more familiar Win7 Start menu.

In coming days I'll definitely use the Initial Script, but I might see if I can get used to the Win10 Start thing before getting too nostalgic for Win7.

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2018, 11:49:44 PM »
This I didn't know, Windows 7 end-of-life is one year and two weeks away - January 14, 2020... Technically, development support for Windows 7 has been over for some time. The upcoming EoL is for security support.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsforbusiness/end-of-windows-7-support

So... Windows 10. You can still get it for free if you want to do an in-place upgrade.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Meanwhile...

now being the proud owner of a skylake processor driven laptop, I basically have to use windows 10. (As I understand it, Windows 7 can be installed on skylake processor machines, but driver support technically doesn't exist, meaning it's just you and Google if you want to find drivers for your hardware...)

The easiest way to chop out all the windows 10 crap and leave behind the essential stand alone os is to get the LTSB version, now currently being called "LTSC" if you get the one based on windows 10 version 1809, but that requires an enterprise volume license....

Second easiest way is to get Pro or Enterprise and run some powershell script such as Disassembler0's. They tend to disable OneDrive, uninstall Cortana, cut out the ads on the Start menu, remove weird stuff like the Candy Crush and XBox hooks, and so on. After a while you can more or less have a Windows 7 look-a-like that's Windows 10 underneath, and it's mostly okay except when you try to change any settings (and you get the stupid Settings app instead of Control Panel) or you use the Start menu at all...

I'm wondering what my mother will like.