Bank of China - Online

• 9 replies
Bank of China - Online
« on: December 09, 2012, 03:15:54 AM »
How does an honest man register for the BoC's online services?

I have an account. I presume it to be savings. I want ultimately to buy things online (well, one thing online, a plane ticket) by having money move directly from my account to... wherever, their account, I guess.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

babala

Re: Bank of China - Online
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 04:56:11 AM »
I just walked in and told them I wanted to shop on taobao afafafafaf

It was an easy process (for once) getting the online hooked up to my account. I did it at the regular teller and the whole thing took about 5 minutes.
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 01:27:33 PM »
That's good news. (And tomorrow's errand sorted.) I wonder if it works for ICBC too.

Any limits for online transactions? (My first purchase is going to be in the 10,000 yuan range.)

old34

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 02:26:37 PM »
That's good news. (And tomorrow's errand sorted.) I wonder if it works for ICBC too.

Any limits for online transactions? (My first purchase is going to be in the 10,000 yuan range.)

I use ICBC and it was the same thing-register for it at the counter. ICBC's online banking has an English interface and is easy to use.

Also, if you have a Mac, you can use ICBC's online bank. Other banks require Internet Explorer only. (You'll need a special dynamic password thingie which they'll give you instead of a USB key-just tell them if you're going to be using a Mac.)

As for the limits, you set your own limit when you register as a security precaution.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

BrandeX

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 05:50:50 AM »
How do you work that one? My ICBC internet log in is IE only, you can't enter the random code letters w/o IE.

old34

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 06:04:05 AM »
How do you work that one? My ICBC internet log in is IE only, you can't enter the random code letters w/o IE.

Do you have a Mac?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 12:40:40 PM »
They all operate pretty much the same way in that you'll have to go to the counter and set up internet banking. You choose your limit. With some banks, higher limits are going to require more security rigamarole.

Merchant's Bank actually has an app for android phones that is really easy to use. I was able to purchase train tickets when I was in the countryside with no real internet thanks to that and a 3G connection.

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 10:30:27 PM »
So I decided to try ICBC first since there's a branch across the road. From them I acquired a magic calculator. It's about the size of a matchbox and the width of a coin. During online transactions magic input numbers will appear on the computer screen, and these I enter into the calculator, which will then produce some magic numbers of its own. The calculator numbers I enter into the computer screen and--bingo, blammo--transaction approved. It did in any case work. I booked a flight.

(Booking the flight took a freakin hour though--the first login to ICBC had a lot of steps and missteps. But that's another story.)

BrandeX

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 01:59:59 AM »

Do you have a Mac?
Windows 7. I can't enter the random letter spam prevention thing unless I set Firefox to IE mode; I can't click the cursor into the entry box.

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 03:27:12 AM »

Do you have a Mac?
Windows 7. I can't enter the random letter spam prevention thing unless I set Firefox to IE mode; I can't click the cursor into the entry box.

Chinese banks appear to have some IE fetish.  It's the same thing with Agriculture Bank of China.  Maybe Microsoft bought them out. :D