Acronyms Used Here+Workflow

• 10 replies

old34

Acronyms Used Here+Workflow
« on: June 28, 2012, 12:45:16 AM »
Recurring questions plus in-accurate descriptions equals....more recurring questions. In the future, point newbies here first before they start trying to ask Legalities Board questions.

RP = Residence Permit
FEC=Foreign Expert Certificate
AEP=Alien Employment Permit
Z-Visa = the official Chinese "Work Visa" (K, that's not an acronym, but....)
LOI=Letter of Invitation-instructs the Chinese Embassy in your country to issue you a Z-Visa.
PSB=the Public Security Bureau. They issue RPs.
FEB= your local Foreign Expert Bureau. They issue "Letters of Invitation" to Chinese Embassies to issue Z-Visas, and once you arrive issue FECs which are needed to get your RP from the PSB.

Here's the workflow needed to teach legally in China:

LOI from FEB >Apply for Z-Visa (Embassy)
Enter China on Z-Visa (Z-Visa must be used w/in 90 days).
Apply for RP within 30 days after entering China on Z. This requires:
FEC (from FEB)-may require a med exam.
FEC issued>apply for RP at PSB.
PSB>issues RP
You're good to go/Bob'e your uncle.

Greatly generalized and there are lots of devils in the details, but this workflow hopefully informs the newbies and helps them ask more intelligent questions.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Re: Acronyms Used Here+Workflow
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 02:47:35 AM »
Great post 34, I made it a sticky for this board.  bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 04:59:36 AM »
yip, quality  agagagagag
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

old34

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 02:52:35 PM »
Thanks. Here's some more:

Many people view China as a monolithic structure. In fact, it's very, very polylithic (to coin a new term) consisting of many ministries, bureaus, departments and spheres of influence. Here's a brief (!) listing of some of the governmental units nationally and locally that may affect your life and/or work here in the PRC:

PRC = People's Republic of China (but you already knew that)

National Level:
Embassy/ Consulate -located outside China, handles diplomatic affairs, visas, etc.

State Council - oversees most administrative functions in the PRC. 35 members led by the Premier (currently Wen Jiabao)

FMPRC=Ministry of Foreign Affairs - sets some policy and rules affecting foreigners; also handles requests for mainland visas in HK and Macao. Ministry directly under the State Council

HK = Hong Kong

MPS = Ministry of Public Security - directly under the State Council they oversee the PSB

PSB = Public Security Bureau - they are at both the national and local level.

MHRSS = Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security - formerly called the Ministry of Labor, they deal with employment throughout the PRC. Directly under the State Council, they pass laws which affect your employment e.g.. the 2008 Labor Law, the recently enacted but not yet fully implemented Social Security law for foreigners, etc. Regarding foreigners, they interact with them through SAFEA.

SAFEA = State Administration of Foreign Expert Affairs - An administrative agency directly under the State Council but overseen by the MHRSS. They administer foreigners working in the fields of education, science and culture. They can issue standard forms such as the FEC (see above), standard employment contracts, etc. They operate locally through provincial and local FEBs. SAFEA can issue policies that are in some cases non-binding on local FEBs and schools which use FEC holding teachers. (Examples include salary guidelines, the Foreign Expert Handbook, the Standard SAFEA Contract,etc.) They also can arbitrate labor disputes between teachers and schools, though they prefer not to.

MOE = Ministry of Education - directly under the State Council, they oversee general education policy as well as directly administer a few universities such as the C9's (China's "Ivy League"), 985 schools (a group of about 35 select universities which include the C9) and certain graduate schools (GUCAS, GSCASS, etc.). Locally, they operate through Education Bureaus (see below).

Local Level:
FEB = Foreign Experts Bureau - the local branch of the national SAFEA. They issue the FEC required to work as a teacher at SAFEA authorized schools and centers. SAFEA gives the the local FEB great deal of autonomy. This explains the various applications of  various "rules" in various provinces and cities; for example The 2 Year Rule (can't work for the same school for more than 2 years), The 5 Year Rule (can't work in China for more than 5 consecutive years), The Over-60/65 Rule (must be under 60/65 to work here), etc. (Note: the FEB does NOT issue the RP. That function is carried out by the local PSB.)

Labor Bureau = a local branch of the MHRSS separate from SAFEA, they handle employment issues for non-teaching, science, culture posts. They issue the AEP which is a separate pathway to the RP.

Education Bureau = there's one at both the provincial and local level. They oversee the schools within their purviews. Some universities are overseen directly by the national MOE free of interference by local Education Bureaus. Most schools are administered by the Education Bureau at either the provincial or local level. Generally, before a school can get an FEC for a teacher, they must file a copy of the teacher's Resume/CV (in Chinese) with the Education Bureau who passes on the suitablity of the teacher (i.e. bachelor degree, two years teaching experience, TEFL cert in lieu of experience).

PSB = Public Security Bureau - under the direction of the national PSB, at the local level they deal with issuance of the RP, visa issues WITHIN China, and all manner of "security" dealing with foreigners. Regarding RPs, visas and passports, the local PSB has a sub-bureau called The Entrance and Exit Administration Bureau which handles these matters. The PSB will require either an FEC from the FEB or an AEP from the local Labor Bureau in order to issue an RP.

RP Workflow:
Ed. Bur. > FEB > PSB > RP   or    Labor Bureau > PSB > RP
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 09:11:10 PM »
Good info, Lao San! agagagagag
One I would add...

WP = Work Permit  It's less known than the visas or the RP, because it's not a document you ever see or hold yourself. But it's absolutely required to work legally in China, and a prerequisite for getting the RP, so it's definitely of vital importance!
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

old34

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 11:08:48 PM »
Good info, Lao San! agagagagag
One I would add...

WP = Work Permit  It's less known than the visas or the RP, because it's not a document you ever see or hold yourself. But it's absolutely required to work legally in China, and a prerequisite for getting the RP, so it's definitely of vital importance!

I believe the Work Permit is the same thing as the Alien Employment Permit mentioned above.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 03:16:01 AM »
Thanks for clarifying the terminology. I've updated the Visas/Permits guide with this and other info that needed to be included.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 06:30:52 AM »
Well done everyone this is REALLY helpful and will stop lots of cluttering  bfbfbfbfbf
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 05:53:54 PM »
One I would add...

My public university (Henan province) FedExed both the WP (original) and LOI to me in Canada. The Vancouver Consulate certainly required the WP in order for me to apply for my 'Z'.
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

old34

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 07:15:23 PM »
Just to keep things clear in this thread, the "Work Permit" (WP) of which Raoul spoke is the same as the "Alien Employment Permit" (AEP) of which I spoke. It's a little boo let that looks a lot like the FEC but it's a different color (red).

The "permit" of which cruisemonkey speaks is a single page chopped piece of paper which is entitled something like "Permission to Hire" which grants the school the right to hire you. That piece of paper is sent to you along with the "Letter of Invitation" which is a letter directed to the embassy to issue you a Z Visa. So you get two pieces of paper (single pages each) to take with you to the embassy along with all the other stuff you (may) need (i.e. your passport, photos, med exam (maybe), etc.

They certainly don't send you the WP/AEP booklet to take to the embassy. That item is created if and when you show up and enter on your Z- visa and get ready to get the RP.

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 01:27:22 AM »
The "permit" of which cruisemonkey speaks is a single page chopped piece of paper which is entitled something like "Permission to Hire"...

The single page chopped piece of paper refers to itself as "Working Permit" in English.

TIC
bibibibibi
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.