Shanghai Daily: Foreigners caught without work visa

• 13 replies
Shanghai Daily: Foreigners caught without work visa
« on: December 21, 2011, 01:19:02 PM »
http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article/?id=490597

SHANGHAI police are warning expats without work permits not to find jobs in the city, which will cause them to be fined or deported if they're caught.

The Exit-Entry Administration Bureau of Shanghai police said yesterday that they had found some foreigners with travel visas illegally working as English teachers in the city's language institutions.

"We'll crack down on the illegal working of foreigners in Shanghai, as always," an officer surnamed Li said yesterday.

The bureau did not say how widespread the problem of illegal employment of foreigners is, but it's known that the city's expat population is growing quickly.

In a recent case, a 19-year-old man from the United Kingdom visiting Shanghai on a travel visa was caught by the police while teaching English to Chinese children in a local foreign language institution, police said.

Officers said the Briton looked very young and attracted their attention, so they checked his passport. The man said he was traveling from Britain and had no qualifications to teach, according to the police. He did not even go to college, police added.

Through the investigation, the institution was also found unqualified. The names of the man and the institution were not disclosed.

The exit-entry bureau reminded that foreigners have to get a residence permit from it and a work permit from the city's labor authority before they are allowed to work here. For those who want to teach, they have to apply for a foreign expert certificate from the foreign experts bureau of the city and they must have at least a bachelor's degree, two years or more of teaching experience and the certificate of TESOL or TEFL, police said.

Shanghai has the largest population of foreign nationals among all mainland cities and provinces in China, with more than 143,000 expats living in the city, the Shanghai Statistics Bureau announced this week. Nearly one in every four foreign residents in the country lives in Shanghai.

The city is home to a total of 208,300 overseas residents, which adds people from Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan to the foreign nationals population.The overseas population constitutes nearly 1 percent of the city's 23 million residents.
RMB300/hour is the new RMB150/hour. Pass it on!

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: Shanghai Daily: Foreigners caught without work visa
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 03:56:12 PM »
Great catch! Thanks for posting this... bjbjbjbjbj

I can't say it often enough or loudly enough: In China,
be legal or be gone. oooooooooo
Crackdowns really are happening. Things are not like they were a few years ago. Trying to work without Work and Residence Permits just isn't worth it. kkkkkkkkkk
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

jpd01

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 04:12:56 PM »
I call shenanigans, this "new" article on Shanghai daily is a copy of an older one written last year. With an identical "19 year old Briton with no qualifications caught" the story might have been true now but Shanghai daily just lost all credibility with me over this one.
It might have been reposted as a new story because of a couple kind of nasty deportations in Shanghai recently.
Seems like the local police were out of beer money so decided to raid some schools and get some 1000rmb fines out of the laowai there. But seems they didn't know there were some Africans there so they gave the white teachers the beer money fine and gave the Africans (students in SH) a few days to leave the country.
I was reading about it at shanghaiexpat a couple of days ago. When talking to a couple of my Chinese friends in shanghai they said lots of people were buzzing about some black teachers getting picked up out of the blue and tossed out. Seems Shanghai isn't any kind of international city after all, if you are black you are second class to all those lovely shiny white teachers.
I'm guessing this repost of an old story (now inaccessible to me) is a stupid attempt at saying "hey we are kicking out some white people too" a pretty bad attempt at that.
I guess people are just kinda pissed about the blatant racism, hell maybe they forgot about it till it kicked em in the teeth.  
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 05:39:25 PM by jpd01 »
"I don't understand what I did wrong except live a life that everyone is jealous of." Charlie Sheen.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 07:26:29 PM »
OK, but please don't let their journalistic laziness dilute the core message of the importance of having legal papers...
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

jpd01

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 07:54:20 PM »
Yes of course, if you are going to work here it should be on legal papers. I personally like to remind people (especially in places like Shanghai) that just because some people (this can and often does include teachers) are telling you that no one in xyztown have legal visas and no one cares doesn't make it true.

"I don't understand what I did wrong except live a life that everyone is jealous of." Charlie Sheen.

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 08:05:33 PM »
...just because some people (this can and often does include teachers) are telling you that no one in xyztown have legal visas and no one cares doesn't make it true.

When I lived in xyztown, some people were working on tourist visas and claimed it did not matter. Some of them got deported.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 08:53:29 PM »
I call shenanigans, this "new" article on Shanghai daily is a copy of an older one written last year.

I have been shown factual proof that Shanghai Daily publishes false information. Not slightly incorrect, but false as in you visit the location of the story they covered you will see what they reported is impossible unless you go breaking fundamental laws of Newtonian physics.

Still- they are known to post stories more as an indicator of policies that are being put into place, rules that might actually start to be enforced, or even to put the minds of restless expat wives at ease that the police are taking firm action against whatever it is that bugs them this month.

Recall the western man with an expired visa they caught during a raid on an apartment containing 15 women from an unnamed SE Asian nation who were suspected of working at a bar in Central Shanghai?

It's exactly like that.

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 05:13:56 AM »
False info or not, we had a little friendly visit from our local cop today here in Shenzhen, checking up on our visas & living permits etc. We have to provide our boss with copies by Friday, even though they already have it all on file. The usual end-of-year crackdown so the boys in black can make their bonuses!
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 01:18:08 PM »
Coppers showed up at my door yesterday too. Young. They asked if i had my papers, I said yes and gave them some smokes. They didn't bother looking at my passport but just asked questions about my iMac and filled my house with smoke. Then they invited me out for drinks Thursday night. They'll send a car.

I like the cops here, hate them in Canada.

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 02:14:16 PM »
Coppers showed up at my door yesterday too. Young. They asked if i had my papers, I said yes and gave them some smokes. They didn't bother looking at my passport but just asked questions about my iMac and filled my house with smoke. Then they invited me out for drinks Thursday night. They'll send a car.

I like the cops here, hate them in Canada.

awesome job Stil, that's the way to do it!  agagagagag

I hear you about hating the cops back home.  kkkkkkkkkk Cops in Dublin are usually from some backwater town in the midlands of Ireland, just the sort to have a violent hatred of young capital city dandys like me.
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

xwarrior

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 03:18:16 PM »
Question: What do you do when a man carrying a small keg of beer brings 2 girls to your table in a bar and announces, as they sit down, that he is a policeman .

A. ask to see his ID
B. drink his beer for the next 2 hours
C. fail to remind him that he had left one of the girls with me as he departed with his girlfriend 

Answer: A and BCD
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 09:22:39 PM »
http://www.shanghaidaily.com/nsp/National/2011/12/27/China%2Bto%2Bcrack%2Bdown%2Bon%2Bexpats%2Bworking%2Billegally/

CHINA aims to curb illegal entry, stay and employment of foreigners, something which has developed into a "prominent problem" in the world's second largest economy.

The State Council yesterday submitted a draft law on exit and entry administration to the National People's Congress Standing Committee, the country's top legislature, for its first reading.

The existing law on exit and entry administration, established 26 years ago when China was far from "the world's workshop," barely mentioned illegal employment of foreigners in China.

Under the draft, foreigners must get work permits and residence certificates before being employed.

Foreigners who work illegally in China will be fined between 5,000 yuan (US$792) and 20,000 yuan, and may be detained from five to 15 days for serious violations.

Those who illegally provide job placement services for foreigners or illegally employ foreigners would be also fined.

"We shall put forth efforts on regularizing foreigners who are working in China, do better in visa issuing, and strengthen residential management of foreigners," Yang Huanning, deputy minister of public security, said yesterday.

As a populous country, China would like to introduce more high-end professionals and limit the inflow of low-end workers, Yang said.

If a foreigner holds a visa allowing a maximum stay of 180 days, he or she will not need to apply for a residence certificate. If the visa allows a stay longer than 180 days and indicates that a residence certificate is needed, he or she must apply for it within 30 days after entering the country.

According to the draft law, the period of validity of a residence certificate will vary from 180 days to five years.

During their stay in China, foreigners should carry valid identity documents and submit to police inspection, according to the draft law.

It also stipulates that foreigners can apply to the police for a permanent residence certificate if an individual makes a significant contribution to China's economic and social development, or meets relevant requirements of permanent residence.

Foreigners who apply to stay in China as refugees will be granted a temporary-stay permit during an investigation and receive a refugee identity document for living in China after an application is approved.

An article about the collection of biological information for the use of border control is in the draft. It grants police and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs the right to issue regulations on the collection and storing of biological information, such as fingerprints of travelers entering and exiting China.

Collecting biological information will help identify travelers, improve the efficiency of border control and protect state security, Yang said.

According to the government, the number of people entering and exiting China has increased by 10 percent annually since 1990. In 2010, the number reached 382 million, including 52 million foreigners.

Reading between the lines- this is clearly being brought up again as a bit of forewarning to expats. The introduction of biometric controls at entry/exit will mean an end to the dodge of getting a new passport number for those who are banned from China. I can easily imagine the central government is looking forward to when they can implement something similar for general registration of all citizens.

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 05:05:19 PM »

CHINA aims to curb illegal entry, stay and employment of foreigners, something which has developed into a "prominent problem" in the world's second largest economy.

Reading between the lines- this is clearly being brought up again as a bit of forewarning to expats. ...

It may also be partly retaliation against the US who have taken to fingerprinting people at the border, claiming this is required to fight terrorism. The US, UK and others are also introducing machine-readable passports with biometric data and applying pressure to other countries to do likewise.
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/passports1/passports-a-to-z/b-topics/biometric-passports

Some passports now do RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) so they can be scanned as you walk by:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biometric_passport

Of course this leads to problems, notably identity theft by criminals who read details as you pass:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/storage/rfid-passport-identity-theft-made-simple/713
Wallets that block such scans are available:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/8cdd/

I can easily imagine the central government is looking forward to when they can implement something similar for general registration of all citizens.

Yes. But China already has a general citizen's ID card, required for things like renting a hotel room or buying some train tickets, The US, UK and other governments have prposed something similar and faced stiff opposition over it.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 03:47:40 AM »
I would imagine that China will soon get their act together and issue all foreigners working in China some sort of State-issued ID card, hopefully with an ID number. I would much prefer that to needing to always use my passport.