Is this likely to suck?

• 12 replies

A-Train

Is this likely to suck?
« on: August 26, 2009, 08:24:30 AM »
http://www.safea.gov.cn/english/content.php?id=12742892

I may go anyway, just to get my feet wet, use up some vacation time and a $500 airline credit that expires this year.

The 2009 Job Fair for Foreigners (Shanghai)

Want a Good Job? Find it from Chinajob.com!

The 2009 Job Fair for Foreigners (Shanghai)

Zurich Hall, Swissotel Grand Hotel, Jing An District, Shanghai, 31st October 2009, 9:00 am—16:00 pm

"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: Is this likely to suck?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 02:46:33 PM »
I hope this proves to be an exception, but as a general rule, I find that if someone feels the need to ask "Is this likely to suck?" almost always results in a definitive "YES" no matter what the subject matter.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 03:00:04 PM »
Yes, no, maybe.  Depends on your expectations.  If you are desperate to find a high-paying, low hours, perk filled job... it will suck.  If you are planning on seeing a fair bit of what is available in different areas, it will be fine. 

And how can anything in China really suck - it's all good experience, you get to eat interesting food, see LOTS of people, and wander round the rest of the city.

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 04:15:44 PM »
I went to a job fair in Shanghai in the spring 4 years ago.  Found a good job and am returning for my 4th year.  It might be good and might suck depending on which companies and schools are there.

Beware, the largest booths will be for the worst jobs.  English First, Web etc etc etc will be there.

Bring a lot of resumes as everyone will ask you for one. bibibibibi
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 04:34:59 PM »
They are being inundated with resumes already--one of their representatives just told me that.
blblblblbl
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges. - Jack Handey

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 04:54:19 PM »
Perhaps many of those resumes will be likely to suck.   ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 06:05:49 PM »
Lotus is right...it all depends on your expectations. My rule of thumb is expect nothing and you will never be disapointed. Yes, it will likely suck, but it may suck in a funny way, in which case it will still be worthwhile. Any experience you get a good story out of is worth having, IMO.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 09:41:41 PM »
I hope this proves to be an exception, but as a general rule, I find that if someone feels the need to ask "Is this likely to suck?" almost always results in a definitive "YES" no matter what the subject matter.

Thanks, EL. bjbjbjbjbj

It's worth a go, sure. Stay away from the chains and the recruiters, and see what else the cat drags in. You just might find a great job; only way to find out is to try.

And how can anything in China really suck

Aaaauuuggghh! Aaauuuugggghhhh! Aaaaaauuuuggggghhhh! <gasp, choke, sputter...> aoaoaoaoao bibibibibi ararararar apapapapap ssssssssss aqaqaqaqaq llllllllll bqbqbqbqbq
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 01:19:14 AM »
Comes down to your definition of 'really sucks'. 

For me, if you get something out of it, learn something new, see something different, meet someone interesting - then it doesn't really suck! 

You will find out what is out there, be able to make enquiries, drop off your CV at places that interest you.  You will meet other people doing the same thing - and be able to check their experiences and they may give you good ideas.  Then - you walk outside and you are in one of the great cities of the world, with a massive variety of food, good bookshops, places of interest.

HOW can it totally suck?? 

A-Train

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 03:49:01 AM »
"You will meet other people doing the same thing - and be able to check their experiences and they may give you good ideas.  Then - you walk outside and you are in one of the great cities of the world, with a massive variety of food, good bookshops, places of interest."

Thanks.  I didn't mean to suggest that the entire experience would suck, I was only referring to the Forum itself.  I must confess that having heard so many negative comments about employers and their toadies that I've become extremely wary and even jaded about the supply side of the Chinese employment market.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 11:04:10 PM »
Comes down to your definition of 'really sucks'. 

For me, if you get something out of it, learn something new, see something different, meet someone interesting - then it doesn't really suck! 

HOW can it totally suck?? 

I can't imagine spending any time in China without seeing something cool, interesting and/or fun.

That said, let's put this to the test:

PRISON.  It's different, the people are colourful, you can learn to make a weapon out of a sharpened toothbrush, and they throw in a free gym.

FAMINE AREA.  Lose weight, learn how to kill hunger pangs by eating dirt, certainly experience something different.  Mind you, starving people generally don't provide very interesting conversation.

WAR ZONE.  Learn to avoid packages lying on the road, and atrocities, say what you will, are never boring.

STAR TREK CONVENTION.   aoaoaoaoao
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 11:14:34 PM »
STAR TREK CONVENTION.   aoaoaoaoao

I'm sure there will be something there that doesn't suck.

Or maybe ....

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 09:09:04 PM »
I've spent plenty of time in China WATCHING it suck. I don't need to defend my position. bjbjbjbjbj
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)