Poll

Which of the following best fits your definition of Purgatory (Protestants may have to look it up...)?

An English Corner where no one talks at all
1 (5.3%)
A full Teachers' Meeting with the Chinese staff and admins
0 (0%)
Standing in line at China Post
1 (5.3%)
CCTV-9, especially when Da Shan or Yang Rui are on
1 (5.3%)
Reading some of the posts on Raoul's China Saloon
1 (5.3%)
Being stuck with another foreigner, usually a 'faced drunk one, who complains and moans about China for hours non-stop
12 (63.2%)
Other (Please specify)
3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Purgatory Is...

• 23 replies
Re: Purgatory Is...
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 11:34:24 PM »
Looks like I'm with the vast majority.  It's not just the tedium and irritation, it's the cringing as they get progressively more racist.  I like this country and these people, and having them summed up as "monkeys" both embarrasses me and makes me want to whip out the ol' coal shovel and do some reeducating. 
asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas bibibibibi
 asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas oooooooooo
 asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas adadadadad
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 01:50:23 AM »
I do rant and whine sometimes. But being with someone drunk or not who keeps only telling you how bad everything around is makes me feel depressed and makes me want to kick the person where it hurts the most. Especially those who have been here for a long time. Why staying if everything is so bad?  llllllllll

Ruth

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 01:13:41 AM »
It's not just the complaining about China, but the complaining about anything, especially the school and admin, endlessly... from a drunk, that's been purgatory for me recently.  George, Babe and Decurso know of whom I speak, as I subjected them to this particular person recently.  I guess I've led a sheltered life.  My parents and their circle of friends don't drink.  My friends who do don't drink to excess.  Now there is a person in my life who is an alcoholic and a mean, angry drunk, and he starts drinking early in the day.  I'm not sure how to handle it, other than to limit my exposure to him. 

What others have said: if you don't like China, go home.  I'd add, if you have to get drunk to survive another day here, it's really time to leave.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 02:10:09 AM »
Ruth, it has nothing to do with sheltered life. It has to do with the fact that some people are chronically unhappy. And more over they find a great satisfaction in other's unhappiness. Hell, we can all sit down and rant about stuff non-stop. After all, don't we all have tests and difficulties in life?

Acjade

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 02:15:10 AM »
No Dairy Cream only McD's.
No chocolate only MC's
No winter, only Autumn
No Spring, only Summer
No boys, only girls..
no forget that... that's hell!

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 04:45:49 AM »
 ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 04:47:30 AM »
No Dairy Cream only McD's.
No chocolate only MC's
No winter, only Autumn
No Spring, only Summer
No boys, only girls..
no forget that... that's hell!

There are parts of this I consider heaven.

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2008, 06:08:24 AM »
I fear I must agree with Stil....eeep....feel so dirty...must shower...
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2008, 07:50:13 AM »
...must shower...

Well, then, at least SOME good came out of all this. uuuuuuuuuu
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)