2 Recent Books About China.

• 2 replies
2 Recent Books About China.
« on: November 29, 2007, 03:04:20 PM »
Among the many,

1) China Syndrome by Karl Taro Greenfeld
Basically a book about the saga of SARS. Meant to build suspense ala Outbreak and is quite good reading especially if you were in PRC in the spring of 03. Good writing on what is was like in Taiyuan and HK at the time. SARS went away quietly and mysteriously but at the time no one knew what was coming. A new virus in humans is (I find) a fascinating topic. We are one small virus mutation away from another plaque.

2) Beijing Confidemtial by Jan Wong
Just bought this and will start asap. Most of you know REd China Blues, a fine book anbout China.  Wong I have been reading my whole adult life as she was a China correspondent for Canada's Globe until recently. As for this book---in her RCB era she ratted out a Chinese girl who confided to her she wanted to defect. Wong carried the guilt for years and recently went back to track her down. Which she does and find s the lady is happy. (I think.( anyway I'm really looking forward to this.

I may have posted some of this before---if so forgive me I'm getting senile. offtopic

Newbs

Re: 2 Recent Books About China.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 08:01:13 PM »
I may have posted some of this before---if so forgive me I'm getting senile. offtopic
Mate, you've been senile for a long time, it's just that we are all too polite to say so. uuuuuuuuuu and also  offtopic  But seriously, thanks for the heads up on these 2 books.  I'm going out this weekend to buy myself a few books as Christmas presents, and I'll keep my eyes peeled for these ones. bfbfbfbfbf

Re: 2 Recent Books About China.
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 08:38:25 PM »
OK Newbs. I think at 44 I'm not senile I'm dronk.

And maybe high being in the free world.

Carry on with your threads about Best Simpson Quotes.   I've had it with yuz.

Fear And Loathing In America. Yeh.