How To Get Jobs Without Recruiters? What To Tell Others?

• 0 replies

Ivyman

How To Get Jobs Without Recruiters? What To Tell Others?
« on: October 01, 2022, 12:53:03 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I know this forum is dead set against Chinese job recruiters. I can understand why, as there has been so much shady behavior in the past.

Thank the Lord that I am happy at my current job, and am not currently meandering.

But, I still have the question: what is the best way to job search?

1. My guess is, if someone is already in China, just ask around to friends, contacts, etc. who is hiring?

The best news is that we are in high demand, and seemingly perpetual short supply.

In other industries I have seen, such as mining, oil, lumber, etc. there can be

(1) a boom, where people such as oil rig workers can make 2-5x their current US salary working abroad
(2) people rushing over to these lucrative areas
(3) an equilibrium, where very high salaries go down, and costs of living over there (rent, food, etc.) go up. So, what was a sweet deal is not quite so sweet.

Saudi Arabia reminded me of this, as oil engineers, oil workers, and ESL teachers once made far more than at home.

But, oil revenues have generally been declining, average pay has been declining, Saudi king's subsidizing everything has been declining (higher cost of living); so, saving huge amounts is much harder now.

2. If someone is not in China, my guess is paid forums, and lots of email?

3. I do ask this because I was thinking back to about 10-15 years ago, in the Great Recession in the US, UK, Europe, etc. It seemed like nothing young people could do could get most university grads hired, and earn them a living wage.

Although chances are low that we, or these people, would get into such a situation again, I wonder what we could do differently?

4. In my case, if I knew then what I knew now, I would probably get a public teaching job in China, do side businesses in a growing economy, and do lots of online education for a teaching license, master's, etc. As China's economy grew, hopefully my bank account would grow.

Simple "demand versus supply" would ensure I would always have a job as an English teacher. On the side, maybe I could find tasks and business relationships that were more lucrative than just teaching English.

5. Your thoughts on how to get people jobs in the current situation? Or more general strategy on helping people launch their career?

I guess they are two separate questions; but, the specific leads to the general.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: How To Get Jobs Without Recruiters? What To Tell Others?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 05:31:34 PM »
It depends on what kind of teaching job you want, where you want it, etc.

I have a suspicion that paid forums are nothing but recruiters in disguise.

1.  Comb any free forums that have active job listings.
2.  Look for lists of universities (or whatever level of school you want to teach at).  Then find their contact addresses.  Most won't write back, but you only need one job and emailing is free.
3.  If you know anyone teaching in your target geographic area, ask them if they know schools that are hiring and for any school contacts they have.
4.  If you don't have a target geographic area in mind, you'll be sending a LOT more "Hey, are you hiring FTs?  Here are my credentials."  This will be a lot of work, but your odds are better.

Yes, avoid recruiters like the plague, but read their advertisements.  Some ads are total fakes just to get your info, but some contain just enough info to narrow down or even directly figure out the school the job is at.  In cases like that, if the job sounds promising, email the school directly.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com