Being overweight in China

• 111 replies

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
Re: Being overweight in China
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2009, 04:01:53 PM »
Who are you asking? Is it a general question, or specifically for one person to answer?

If it is me, then it is curved but fit. Not like a 10 yo boy.

Different standard I suspect than local people. My wife is considered too masculine by local men. She is bigger than normal, strong and quite fit, with curves. Plus independant, smart, and pushy. Not desirable by Chinese standards, I understand. That's OK, she is perfect for me.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

paddyfields

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2009, 06:25:28 PM »
Everyday my students tell me I am fat! bibibibibi

Probably because I AM!!! aoaoaoaoao

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2009, 10:37:06 PM »
The boob thing can get a lot worse than staring. I know quite a number of Western women in China who have reported having Chinese men approach, grab and squeeze their, uh...assets, and then run away. asasasasas

However, don't believe that all Chinese women are flat-chested! While rather flat is indeed the norm, and there is apparently a considerable amount of padding/surgical augmentation going on, while in China I saw QUITE a number of balconies I could have performed Shakespeare from.
And in some cases, actually did. agagagagag

The curvy Chinese girls are out there. Our mission, should we choose to accept it.... afafafafaf
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2009, 11:51:11 PM »
No, it's the arms that do it. I had to FIGHT to stop the Tans squeezing my biceps in Lhasa when I went there  ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah!
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

Sir Fudge Loving

• I got your back...
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2009, 02:56:20 AM »
I know quite a number of Western women in China who have reported having Chinese men approach, grab and squeeze their, uh...assets, and then run away.

I witnessed that happened one time to my wife (btw a Chinese) as we left a department store and were going to the bus stop. One of among four of the drunken lout brethren grabbed her rear. Of course, I spewed my arsenal of Chinese profanities at them, and of course, they went into the cloud-flying-xenophobic-victimized mode, and frankly, I just didn't give a BLEEP. Now, if they had touched my rear-end, the outcome, I dare say, would have been more pleasant. akakakakak :lickass:
Are you packin'?

Schnerby

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2009, 03:16:33 AM »
So true about the lack of coordination!

I went to the park and played on the balance things and whatever. I kicked the locals butts. I ran in sports carnival and they made me look like a super sprinter.

Nice little ego boost...  bfbfbfbfbf

But yes, some local girls carry a bit more bulk. They probably cop it for that too.

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2009, 03:19:45 AM »
Im 5,10 and have a 52 Inch chest, I come in at 110Kg and i can pick up a small car at a push. In other words i am a barrel shaped man, my nickname at home was TANK, My Nickname here is Panda and I play up to that its fun being a panda.
Im layd back, like to play silly with kids and i love food.
I have had no problems at all here in fact I like the way others bounce of me when im shopping.
Being in Dalian tall is common here and yes some of the locals are fat. But not meny are my shape so i sand out.

its cool and i dont mind being called fat even cuz if they p*** me of Ill eat hum.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 03:24:49 AM by spuglyfuglet »
Yours
Spugly Fugley
(I am Dyslexic sorry for any spelling and Grammar Mistakes)

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2009, 02:46:31 PM »
I always get a kick out of being called fat in this country. I'm 176 cm and weigh about 73 kilos. I really do find the concept of being fat in this country is, to put it mildly, odd. Met girls here who are not taller than 163, weighing what, in Denmark, would be considered a few kilos less than they should and even they will say "I am fat. I must eat less". However, is it just us foreigners who are lamnasted for being overweight? I mean, look at the street come summer time and observe all the pear-shaped local men walking around with their shirts half off. They could obviously skip a plate of fried noodled or two, but they don't seem to be self-conscious or ridiculed at all. It's so strange...some refer to me as fat here and when I went home my Mom, who is not fat at all, took one look at me and asked "What have you done? Are you not eating anything in China?"
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

babala

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2009, 03:11:41 PM »
The Chinese will call each other fat. I think the only people who are upset by being called fat and those like myself who are not happy with the way they look. In these cases even innocent remarks can hurt and stick with you. I think this applies to both foreigners and Chinese. I taught a Chinese girl who was very sensitive about her weight. I also know others who seem fine with it and laugh and tell me their nickname is "Little Fat".

This is why I started this thread so people who are considering coming to China and having weight issues decide if this is something they can live with.
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2009, 03:28:27 PM »
I witnessed that happened one time to my wife (btw a Chinese) as we left a department store and were going to the bus stop. One of among four of the drunken lout brethren grabbed her rear. ...

Happened to my (now ex-) wife in the bazaar in Istanbul. She hit him, hard, and he took off. I disentangled myself from the two-year-old and pursued. At the time, I was about 30 and in fair shape. He was fatter & older, so I caught him, cornered him in the doorway of a closed shop. I was going to clobber him, but then I realised there were about a dozen young men right at my shoulder, so I limited  my action to telling him off, unfortunately in English since I did not speak Turkish.

One of the young men translated, then several of them yelled at him. He was quivering, almost in tears. My wife arrived, carrying the kid, and joined in.

He then fled again. When we lost sight of him, he was running through the bazaar head down and hands up to shield his face, with half a dozen young men running alongside and beating on him. I think it was mostly for show; they did not trip him and really pound him and they were using the side of the fist not punching. However, they were definitely not being gentle either.

I wonder how a Chinese crowd would respond in that situation.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2009, 07:45:24 PM »
I wonder how a Chinese crowd would respond in that situation.

The would react like do for everything. They'd watch with lots of pointing and some laughter, nervous and otherwise.

solongtinik

• tryin to complete my life's journey
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2009, 03:06:37 PM »
try joining this site : sparkpeople.com
if he does not struggle against what is wrong-even if it seems beyond his strength-he will bever find the right road

babala

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2009, 03:45:04 PM »
I had mentioned before about people assuming they will have a big weight lose when they come to China. I just realized that in one year in Suzhou, I gained 20 pounds  aoaoaoaoao You really have to make sure you stay active. Sounds easy doesn't it? There is so much to see and do in a new country, who sits around? The answer, many of us.

Here are things that are cheap that cause weight gain
-taxis
-beer
-fried street food
-more beer (it's the same price as a bottle of water in places)

Let's not forget that many of us spend our leisure time either hanging around cafes or pubs. Another thing that makes us go indoors is the weather. In the east the summers are humid and the winters are cold and damp not to mention the fact that it's always bloody raining llllllllll

Things to watch out for.
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

Schnerby

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2009, 04:14:28 PM »
That's a good point Babala.

It is easy to not exercise because of the climate. Too cold, too humid...

I find that I am getting out exploring my new home, but this will eventually wear off as a fun thing to do. I have my bike and that is still quite enjoyable. I loved riding my bike in Australia and that is no different here.

I definatley don't stand out as overweight in China, but I have hips and broad shoulders - things foreign to the Chinese. If you have body image issues China may not be the place to be.

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2009, 07:07:10 PM »
I had someone do the lose weight thing to me yesterday. A little bit of a girl, about knee high and body shape of a ten year old boy. (college age, about 22 in reality.)

I couldn't be so nasty with the boobs thing. So I said,

"yes, I have thought about it. I am losing some weight, little by little. Have you thought about eating better so you will grow ... (failed the test) ... taller?"

It worked well enough.

Actually, I have the body of a twenty year old.

I keep it in the cellar, in a bathtub full of ice, under all the beer.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.