The New Fast Trains!

• 81 replies

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
The New Fast Trains!
« on: May 31, 2007, 07:24:14 AM »
I recently had to make some trips to and from Shanghai...sick daughter and some exploratory job interviews. All of my trips, as it turned out, were on the much-ballyhooed fast new "bullet" train.

It's called the "CRH", which stands for "China Railway High-Speed". I don't know if "CRHS" just didn't sing for the Marketing people, if they save money by only having to paint on 3 letters instead of 4, or if they just couldn't think of a catchy shorter name, but there it is. Here's a photo, courtesy of China Daily, minus the impressive nose cone they remove to hitch 2 8-car trains into one 16-car train:

It's currently on its maiden route along the Golden Crescent between Shanghai and Nanjing. With top speeds of around 250 km/h, it makes the Suzhou-Shanghai trip, platform to platform, in 24 minutes- down from the 48-70 minutes the old trains need. The Shanghai-Nanjing run is now 2 hours- down from the 3.5 or so it took before. (These times vary with the number of penny-ante two-bit no-count diddley-sqattin' chicken-scratch staring-intensive farm towns, such as Kunshan and Wuxi, one is forced to endure stops at along the way.) Runs between Shanghai and such areas as Beijing and Hangzhou are under testing and construction.

It's an interesting experience. A lot of passengers are still videotaping and photographing the trains' arrival. The cars are gleaming new and clean, almost to the point of being blinding. And it's classy train travel again...apparently the higher ticket prices (The Suzhou run is 25 RMB (~$3 US) for 2nd class, as opposed to 22 RMB for the old soft seats and 15 RMB for hard class) have deterred those local cognoscenti who normally choose to board trains clutching plaid plastic bags full of live pigs. (For more on Chinese train travel, check our Library area!)

The outer car doors open on both ends, so you no longer have to board on the Seat 1 end to fight your way down to Seat 118. There are little touches like diaper-changing tables, handicapped-accessible toilets, and canteen areas. Don't worry, though, there are still a few of the ubiquitous China Railway pushcarts hawking their wares along the aisles. Best of all, there doesn't seem to be any standing-ticket sales on these trains, so the aisles and endcaps are actually clear instead of bursting with swarms of miserable humanity as seen on the old trains.

China Railway seems to be working hard to instill the ambience of flying in its CRH train experience. In many ways the passenger cars resemble the cabin of a jetliner. There's even an airsick bag!:

As with an airliner, the CRH is profusely documented. There are several informational pamphlets in the back of the seat in front of you- a set of which I, with my superior foreign manners, immediately kyped. uuuuuuuuuu

Of course, only the finest English talent available has been pressed into service on these documents. The opening of the Service Manual's train introduction (quoted here verbatim; I can't write Chinglish this well) makes key points perfectly clear: "You are aboard the "harmonious" motor train unit, which is a high speed train that China owns the brand, was produced by independent innovation based on matured high speed train technology introduction from abroad." (In other words, "China may have gotten basic and inferior train technology from other countries, but don't even think those countries have anything to do with this baby! Hunh-unh!")

Big strides call for big promises...and big sentences: "With humanized design, automatic lavabo, toilets for the handicapped, infant care table and so on a series of modern facilities and services, the compartment provide you fashion, elegant, ingenious combination of quality services, make you feel that taking train is no longer a simple travel, it has been sublimed as a more comfortable, more fashionable, more environmentally and more wonderful experiencing of life of moving."
Fairly takes the breath away, doesn't it?  ajajajajaj

The CRH isn't a maglev...it's the compromise China went to when they got a load of what it would cost to install a maglev train system beyond a showboat line between Pudong International Airport and the nearest inhabited fringes of Pudong (Pudong is the easternmost and newest district of Shanghai). It's a good old-technology train with a dramatic, high-tech shell wrapped around it, riding on more carefully-installed track. But it clearly IS a significant step forward in train travel in China.

Hope you yahoos in other towns are riding one soon!  agagagagag
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 07:33:08 AM by Raoul Duke »
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

George

• My view of China
Re: The New Fast Trains!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 11:10:22 AM »
I haven't seen the fast train that operates up here in Jinan, but it cuts 2 hours off the trip to Beijing. Even has it's own section of the Railway Station. Shall have to try it out.
BTW, is that your photo, or did you steal it from somewhere??
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 01:48:26 PM »
Here's a photo, courtesy of China Daily, minus the impressive nose cone they remove to hitch 2 8-car trains into one 16-car train:
agagagagag

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 03:26:42 PM »
George typically surfs the internet with one hand (usually his own) down his pants, so his attention wanders a bit.
For example: Jinan doesn't even have its own train station.  ::)

These CRH babies are definitely getting into service down the Beijing-Shanghai-Guangzhou route surprisingly fast, though...
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

George

• My view of China
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 07:00:55 PM »
Well, there was so much waffle in the post that by the time I had sieved out the facts, I had forgotten the pic attribution.
And what is this??
Jinan doesn't even have its own train station.
I said there is a special section of the Station, newly built, to accommodate the new trains!! llllllllll llllllllll

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 07:26:25 PM »
Hey, I like waffles. Stick with your bowl of oat bran if you want, Gerge, but waffle is good.

I said there is a special section of the Station, newly built, to accommodate the new trains!!
You did...but you're making the whole thing up. Or perhaps confusing Jinan's central landmark grain silo. uuuuuuuuuu

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 09:42:45 PM »
Well, yeah, OK...but those only haul livestock. Which may explain poor Gyorgi's confusion. agagagagag

George

• My view of China
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 10:14:12 PM »
Pack of bastards, both of you!!  asasasasas asasasasas Actually, I have seen some vintage Steam engines in Jinan. Very pretty and polished they were, too.

Bugalugs

• If we are what we eat, I'm easy, fast, and cheap.
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 10:24:50 PM »
How can 2 be a pack????
Good girls are made from sugar and spice, I am made from Vodka and ice

Do you have and ID Ten T error??

George

• My view of China
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 10:32:41 PM »
 afafafafaf afafafafaf I was going to say a small pack....but re-considering..... ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah

Bugalugs

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 10:34:55 PM »
Was gonna say some thing but this is an on-topic area.

So getting back on topic, i love these trains wuxi to suzhou in 20 min it takes that long to get from my school to the train station. Quick, easy and efficient, almost makes you forget that you are in China. :)

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 11:40:37 PM »
So, Bugs, I s'pose we can expect you in Beijing as soon as they start running those trains to this direction  afafafafaf

Bugalugs

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 05:53:52 PM »
Yeah zoom up there for a weekend to get away from the STINK here....

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 05:39:16 PM »
Other areas have new tracks for these trains coming. I've seen construction work on Zhuhai-Guangzhou and Xiamen-Fuzhou routes, am sure there are plenty of others
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

moon over parma

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 01:41:34 AM »
I think these high speed rail lines are a great initiative and I'm happy to hear that China's getting more aggressive in establishing them. I was impressed with Shanghai's Maglev (not exactly the same, but a great perk). Slightly off topic: Isn't the government building another Maglev in Beijing?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 01:25:42 AM by moon over parma »