Introductions

• 1851 replies

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
Re: Introductions
« Reply #885 on: April 29, 2009, 01:10:52 PM »
 Welcome aboard. agagagagag Gotta warn you though, that while moving to China with a kid is not impossible, it makes life infinitely more difficult. Healthcare, babysitting issues, sanitation and general privacy are all a concern. Not saying it can't be done, but this is a rough place to be a foreign parent.

AMonk

« Reply #886 on: April 29, 2009, 04:25:34 PM »
Nice ta meetcha, SilvanaRose agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

Schnerby

« Reply #887 on: April 29, 2009, 04:32:22 PM »
I second AMonk.

Not being a parent myself I don't know what that would involve in China, but it sure would be a great experience for both the adults and the little one.

If you can make it work I say have the adventure.  agagagagag

« Reply #888 on: April 29, 2009, 07:32:08 PM »
We had a husband wife start after Spring Festival.  They had a 4 month old baby.  She lasted about 1 month and left for the states. We had to replace her with another teacher.  She didn't like the Doctors etc. and was worried about the baby. He is leaving this weekend to be with her.  Somehow he will finish teaching his course - not sure how but ...

What I am saying is be very very sure you want to come with a baby  bjbjbjbjbj
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #889 on: April 29, 2009, 10:51:56 PM »
Sorry to be another sour note, but personally I would recommend that anyone with kids under school age not come to China, and anyone with kids at school age, think very very carefully.

Medical care is substandard, seriously. If neither parent knows medicine, it is a risk to bring kids here. They seem to be OK with the actual birth, but they seem to WANT more to die off. Young kids NEED good medical care. This is not the place for it.

Education is substandard, mindless copying. Teaching methods are barbaric. If primary school, kids can be punished for doing something different (eg colouring the moon blue, or drawing a different picture) from other kids. If high school, punishment is severe and seemingly pointless.

If under school age, then nannies etc are important, but you won't like their ideas of childcare. Without someone to explain seriously in English what you want, you get some weird shit and they will administer weird medicines etc without telling you.

It has been a struggle for us, even with Chinese language and medical knowledge.

The ones I know that are happy have their kids in western style schools which are expensive unless you contract to them.

Of course, for a year with teenage kids, this could be the experience of a lifetime. Depends on why you are coming.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

« Reply #890 on: April 30, 2009, 05:06:19 AM »
Good points from everyone. I am trying to do as much research as possible because this is something that we really want to do. I am glad to get honest feedback. I am not sure if I should start a new post for this or keep it in introductions but I do have a few questions...maybe I will start a new post.

« Reply #891 on: April 30, 2009, 06:17:38 AM »
I have a kid and live here, but of course it is a bit different too, as my kid was born here and is half-Chinese. I don't think we'd be much better off in the States at this point, since I'd go back uninsured and unemployed, not really the best place to be with young children either!

I think in the bigger cities, like Beijing and Shanghai especially, people live very happily with their kids and seem to have very few concerns about the standard of living. The thing is, if you want Western standards for things like medical care and education, it costs loads of money, more than most of us teachers can afford.

I think that once your child is a bit older (past the infant stage), but not school age, coming over for a year or two would be fine. I know lots of teachers who have brought over young kids. Staying here and making a life of it is one thing, doing a year or two abroad is another. There are a lot of things to consider, of course, and you do have to be aware of certain realities.

« Reply #892 on: May 20, 2009, 03:07:39 AM »
Hi everyone!  Guess I should have posted here first, but I missed this thread the first time around.  Anyway, here I am.  I've dreamed of living in China since I was about 7.  Don't know why.  At 16 I convinced (or rather tricked) my parents into signing permission for me to get a passport and made my first trip to China.  I spent the better part of 2 months in Nanning, Shenzhen, and Hong Kong before running out of money and returning to the States.  After graduating from university and getting my feet a little wet in the US working world, I returned to China (Guangdong).  Now at 26, I'm married to a local Henanren and recently gave birth to our little girl here in Henan.  We are looking to move onto another location in China (and hopefully a more decent salary) in the new contract year.  I still have plans to return to the States one day to get my masters, but not until my husbands visa comes through.... such a long tedious process (but I'm sure that's another thread)!  I'm thrilled to find this Saloon... just reading your posts makes me feel more connected to the English speaking world of home!  I confess my English is has really gone down the tubes since being here.  My husband never learned English so we don't spend much time with other foreigners, and I'm afraid my English is starting to resemble my students' English aoaoaoaoao.  But it's worked wonders for my Chinese bjbjbjbjbj.  And let me just say, I love all these smilies... so fun!  Nice to meet you all! agagagagag

George

• My view of China
« Reply #893 on: May 20, 2009, 03:24:01 AM »
About bloody time we found out something about you.
At 16 I convinced (or rather tricked) my parents into signing permission for me to get a passport
Sneaky!
After graduating from university and getting my feet a little wet in the US working world, I returned to China (Guangdong).
   Gullible!
recently gave birth to our little girl here in Henan.
  Sons are more important!
I confess my English is has really gone down the tubes since being here.
You'll fit right in, here!

ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah
Welcome aboard, Seeking. Everything you ever wanted to know about China, right here at your fingertips! agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #894 on: May 20, 2009, 04:47:34 AM »
Have to say SeekingInfo, you sound suitably mad to a. fit right into China and b. be right at home here in the Saloon! So welcome  agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag I of course want to make you particularly welcome as you are, like Local Dialect and myself, married to a local. Plenty common among the men, not so common among the ladies.  agagagagag So when you have a moment between teaching and looking after hubby and littlie come by the Saloon.

babala

« Reply #895 on: May 20, 2009, 05:16:46 AM »
Don't forget Babala aoaoaoaoao While she has no plans to marry, she does date the locals afafafafaf
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

« Reply #896 on: May 20, 2009, 11:15:10 AM »
Ah Babala you may be joining our select group one of these days, it's a slippery slope - I for one never planned to even date a local, let alone marry one!!! Ten years and almost 3 kids later, I tell people it was fate!

Ruth

« Reply #897 on: May 20, 2009, 05:33:39 PM »
Welcome aboard, Seeking. Everything you ever wanted to know about China, right here at your fingertips!
Let me also say 'welcome'.  Not sure there's much we can tell you about China that you haven't already figured out for yourself.  Surely you have things to share here that others won't/don't know.

And the other main function of the Saloon - friendship and keeping our sanity.  That's quite possibly what you need.  Welcome and good to get to know you  agagagagag
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #898 on: May 20, 2009, 05:53:16 PM »
Well here's my official welcome too. I only found the saloon after living and teaching in China for nearly 6 years, so it is never too late to get started! Like LSS said, there aren't many of us Western women out there who have married locals (and have experienced giving birth in a local hospital -- you and do share that rather dubious honor!), so it is always good to have another on board. Do hope you stick around!

agagagagag agagagagag

« Reply #899 on: May 20, 2009, 07:35:28 PM »
Tinkerty-tonk there, welcome to the Saloon which, as stated in some other posts, can give you information on everything you want to know about China and, quite possibly, some things you really rather did not want to know. Always nice to see new wallets..errr..faces agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.