Introductions

• 1851 replies
Re: Introductions
« Reply #870 on: March 18, 2009, 06:32:33 PM »
Welcome iannou! I don't think you'll have a problem finding a job here in China. Sometimes the work here also falls into the "if you're a foreigner that can stand upright you're in!" variety too, but there are respectable jobs in the mix too.  bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #871 on: March 18, 2009, 09:28:19 PM »
What they all said.  University gigs will be tough to get without a degree, and you might have more digging to do, but China will certainly find a place for you.  Actually, expect to spend the next 20 years of your life being offered jobs in China... long after you've left.

Your age is a big asset- they figure you'll be more reliable and responsible.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #872 on: March 19, 2009, 02:13:49 PM »
Hi All

Thanks for your kind words, and words of encouragement. Yeah, I'm sure I'll find my niche somewhere. I'm hopeful too that once I get a couple of years under my belt that the BA requirement will become more flexible. I had a taste of the corporate training end of things in Tunisia (as a wage earner for a private school), and I would like to work toward something like that. But I'm not expecting Daimler Benz to call any time soon ;)

I've already learned a lot from reading various threads on here. I post some questions in the bar once I get a handle on what I need to know.

Cheers
Ian

Newbs

« Reply #873 on: March 19, 2009, 10:41:45 PM »
Err hi, remember me.

Which is what I said in a PM to Raoul the other day. 

G'day, my name is Newbs.  I used to be a regular drunk poster at the saloon but then stopped.  Why?  Well, a whole lot of professional and personal reasons waaaaaay to numerous to mention here*.  I'm teaching ESL in Hoganland now but wondering if I should head on back to the Big Silly, as I heard it called here, on more than one occasion.

The last time I posted here
George W Bush was president of the USA
A certain little weasel in Australia called Little Johnnie was  :lickass: Dubya.
The football team that George supports were the premiers
The locals in Beijing were whipping themselves up into a frenzy over the upcoming Olympics.
The world's economy was going gang busters.

So, have I missed much mmmmmmmmmm

A big hello and welcome to all who have hopped on board since last I was here.  Barkeep, a round of your finest for all.  Of course it's on George's tab. uuuuuuuuuu

*But I am happy to sell the list to the highest bidder.

AMonk

« Reply #874 on: March 19, 2009, 10:46:41 PM »
Nice ta see ya back, Newbs agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

DaDan

• Yeppers! We`be livin now!
« Reply #875 on: March 19, 2009, 11:00:42 PM »
you haven't missed much*...  agagagagag

*was a bunch of these "*" posted while you were away though...
me pappy sayd... 
Once ya get past the smell... ...:P ... `You got it licked...

George

• My view of China
« Reply #876 on: March 19, 2009, 11:39:47 PM »
Welcome back, Newbs. Feel free to use my tab...I'll be drinking on yours in July! agagagagag agagagagag
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #877 on: March 20, 2009, 12:50:57 AM »
Welcome back, mate.   agagagagag agagagagag  I'll even cough up for your first taste of the new improved civet juice.

« Reply #878 on: April 12, 2009, 04:04:24 AM »
I am another of the new saloon members who is currently in the process of planning for / preparing for a move to China in August/September.  I am Australian and looking for a job in a University in Harbin (and I do understand how cold it gets there in winter!!) I have worked for most of the last couple of years (with a break in the middle) in South Korea but am now very much looking forward to the move to China. I have found the saloon to be a great source of information and very very helpful and encouraging.  All I need to do now is to find the right job for me ... and to know which job to accept.   And that includes knowing what questions to ask and how to approach things when an employer after reading the resume and looking at the other things they need sent with it (and without an interview) says that they'd like to employ you/accept you.

Jennifer

bxbxbxbxbx
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #879 on: April 12, 2009, 05:51:20 AM »
Welcome Treacherous. Any particular reason you want to be in Haerbin?

« Reply #880 on: April 12, 2009, 12:27:09 PM »
Welcome Treacherous. Any particular reason you want to be in Haerbin?

Actually the thing that started me looking at the northeastern part of China was the weather, which I know is a reason why at least some people decide they don't want to work in that part of the country.  I would much rather live in a cold place then a hot one.  And as I started to look more into jobs and other things in that area it ticked my other boxes as well so I decided to specifically look for jobs in Harbin and narrowed my search down.  I think I read somewhere on this site the suggestion that you think about the area that you'd like to live in - what was most important to you and then approach some employers directly.  Before I started trying to track down contact options for universities in Harbin I did apply through some recruiters for advertised jobs in Universities there.  And so far the direct approach has been the most successful.

Teacheraus
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

Ruth

« Reply #881 on: April 12, 2009, 01:39:14 PM »
Welcome Treacherous.
  kkkkkkkkkk

Well Teacheraus, that's your introduction to Stil.  Welcome to the Saloon (and to China soon, if all goes as you wish).
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

DaDan

• Yeppers! We`be livin now!
« Reply #882 on: April 12, 2009, 02:04:35 PM »
new members;

Please note that our own wonderful Ruth   akakakakak will be celebrating her 50th birthday All year  agagagagag

help us, help her not forget to enjoy this once in her lifetime year (a year Many never see/saw) by wishing her well in the HaPpY B-DaY thread  as often as you wish agagagagag

if you notice one of the Many B-DaY threads for George, not Many as in he's been here many years... you'll learn that it's best to ignor him  awawawawaw
unless you need a mug for flowers & such, then he's the go to guy here  :lickass:

me pappy sayd... 
Once ya get past the smell... ...:P ... `You got it licked...

George

• My view of China
« Reply #883 on: April 12, 2009, 02:12:51 PM »
Danny boy.  bibibibibi  One day I'm going to Sanya!  agagagagag
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #884 on: April 29, 2009, 12:46:52 PM »
Hello,

My name is Sara and I am 26, Canadian and living in the US. I am getting married this summer to my fiance and working through my citizenship as well. For the past few years I have been seriously thinking about living and working in China. I love the culture and language and have been researching it all, but there is nothing better than actually talking to people that are there or have done it. We have been trying to teach ourselves Mandarin for awhile now in preparation for when we go (without much luck lol), but it's fun. Our plans have been put off before but now our newest 'hurdle' is we are expecting a baby in Dec of this year and they have been put off for a little while longer. We still want to go more than anything so I am not discouraged in the least but now I will likely have more questions. We would love to go in maybe another year and are working towards it.

Anyway, nice to meet everyone and I'm happy to be here! :D