• 1851 replies

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1485 on: November 29, 2011, 10:21:18 PM »
What...aren't New Zealand and Australia basically the same thing? mmmmmmmmmm
uuuuuuuuuu
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #1486 on: November 30, 2011, 10:18:21 AM »
Welcome maverickoconnell. agagagagag Looking forward to hearing about your impressions of and experiences in China. bfbfbfbfbf There are a lot of people here with a lot of knowledge. You will find them very helpful. By the way, I'm from Brisbane, Australia. Where is your home town?

« Reply #1487 on: December 01, 2011, 09:14:11 AM »
Hey Maverick ---

Welcome to the Saloon!   agagagagag agagagagag

All the best,

Sam
"Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same."  (Oscar Wilde)

xwarrior

« Reply #1488 on: December 02, 2011, 04:42:45 AM »
What...aren't New Zealand and Australia basically the same thing? mmmmmmmmmm
uuuuuuuuuu

About the same as Canada and the USA I reckon.  agagagagag

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #1489 on: December 06, 2011, 03:39:35 PM »
Hi all,
I am skippyteach. I am an American from the southeast US although educated in the northeast. I am in China--at 55 and not sure exactly how it happened--as a result of the US economy and the laying off of teachers in my state. I have been in China since October and I am now in Jinan. I am adjusting and like it here. I made the trip by myself--wife refused to come. Nice to meet everyone--Cheers.

zero

« Reply #1490 on: December 06, 2011, 05:00:10 PM »
Wait, so as I understand it, you were not able to make your wife come?

zero

« Reply #1491 on: December 06, 2011, 05:01:14 PM »
About the same as Canada and the USA I reckon.

So, pretty much the same?

« Reply #1492 on: December 06, 2011, 08:25:50 PM »
Yep, tied to force her into the luggage but she kept making noise....nope in China on my own.

AMonk

« Reply #1493 on: December 06, 2011, 11:52:07 PM »
Welcome.  Nice to meetcha. agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

zero

« Reply #1494 on: December 07, 2011, 06:19:35 AM »
Yep, tied to force her into the luggage but she kept making noise....nope in China on my own.

Does she realize that you can't swing a dead cat in China without hitting a beautiful female? (You shouldn't swing dead cats, though.)

« Reply #1495 on: December 07, 2011, 10:24:24 AM »
G'day skippyteach and welcome to the Saloon. agagagagag  I like it when our new members tell us a bit about themselves. bfbfbfbfbf If you had not done this, I would have assumed you were an Aussie like me, because of the skippy in your name. We had a well known television  program, here in Australia, called "Skippy the bush kangaroo". I'm ten years older than you and unfortunately ill health stepped in and prevented my dream of teaching in China. I'm glad that you were able to follow your dream before it slipped away. agagagagag  The folk here are very helpful and I am able to at least hear directly about their experiences as well as see some really great pictures. Thanks again and I look forward to hearing more about your China experiences.

« Reply #1496 on: December 07, 2011, 06:16:12 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome! Sorry to hear about he health issue.  It is nothing short of ironic that I am in China--was never a place I was burning to go--finished my under grad in ancient near east history and culture and lived and worked in Mexico and central america as a journalist but never studied anything about Asia--and here i am, in the one place on the planet where I have no real training--but I love it so far--in spite of the quirks and silliness. I have, without doubt, the best teaching job of my life--either university or secondary and I've been here over a month and no student has tried to whip my ass in the halls. And yes, I don't think you could make one rotation with said dead cat without smacking a host of hotties. So, thanks again everyone--looking forward to meeting more of you and getting to know whazzup. Best wishes from Jinan.

« Reply #1497 on: December 07, 2011, 06:28:46 PM »
Scotto,
I finished high school in 1973 and finished my B.A. in 1997--I left school several times in that process either out of annoyance or because I was offered a job that I felt was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Each time I left it cost me--not just in $$$ but in many other areas. So, I can affirm what everyone else is saying--gut it out. The rewards are both in esteem and cash--especially if you plan to teach/live abroad. Best of luck.

CaseyOrourke

• USAF TACP
    • Yankee Texan In China
« Reply #1498 on: December 20, 2011, 05:44:07 PM »
G'day skippyteach and welcome to the Saloon. agagagagag  I like it when our new members tell us a bit about themselves. bfbfbfbfbf If you had not done this, I would have assumed you were an Aussie like me, because of the skippy in your name. We had a well known television  program, here in Australia, called "Skippy the bush kangaroo". I'm ten years older than you and unfortunately ill health stepped in and prevented my dream of teaching in China. I'm glad that you were able to follow your dream before it slipped away. agagagagag  The folk here are very helpful and I am able to at least hear directly about their experiences as well as see some really great pictures. Thanks again and I look forward to hearing more about your China experiences.

Skippy, The Bush Kangaroo was a populular Saturday morning TV show in the US back when I was younger (I'm also 55), but Skippy is also a popular nickname too along with a brand of peanut butter.

Skippy, welcome to China.  I hope you will enjoy your time here. 

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1499 on: December 20, 2011, 07:04:26 PM »
Welcome Skippy

here's a Skippy I love

Here's a Skippy i don't love