Just double checking the power of s residence Permit (and another question)

• 19 replies

Borkya

So I know the answer already, but I get all neurotic when I take a big trip so I just want to be re-assured by you guys.

I have a residence permit that expires in July, no visa (cancelled obviously when I got the permit). I can go to the US and back to China again this February with no problem, right? I don't need another visa cause the residence permit should cover it, right? So I'm all set?

Also, has anyone actually used their Chinese atm cards in America? That's how I'm planning to transfer a bunch of my money (withdraw it on a ATM and deposit it in my US bank). Just checking to see if anyone has actually done it and if it works no prob (like do i just put in the first 4 numbers of my 6 number pin code?) 

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
No problem for you to travel on the Residence Permit. I'm assuming you haven't left the school and they haven't cancelled it.

I wouldn't trust that I could get money from my Chinese account in America with an ATM card even if my Chinese bank bank guaranteed I could. I'm not from the States though, check with your bank.

randyjac

• 老骥伏枥
Outside China, I haven't tried to get cash, but my friends assure me, "No problem!" See http://en.unionpay.com/
I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
Outside China, I haven't tried to get cash, but my friends assure me, "No problem!" See http://en.unionpay.com/
I wouldn't bet my life on it.

I've been to Macau several times, Hong Kong & Canada once each with a Residence Permit in my passport. No problem returning to China on any occasion.

Chinese bank cards work fine in Hong Kong & Macau, let you withdraw cash in local currency. I do not know if they work anywhere else, or if the exchange rate they give is good.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

xwarrior

Glad to know someone else gets worried about re-entering China. You have no problem.

Rest assured - your Residence Permit will get you in as many times as you like during its currency.

re. the money thing. Times do change! My first reaction was that there was no way you could use a China debit card in another country. The information from randyjet put me right on that.

After that I was rather dubious about the integrity of the system - would you trust all the hype to deliver the dollars when standing in front of an ATM in the USA? From what I can see (esp on Wikpedia, which mentions US Citibank specifically) it seems that the answer is that I should.

The Union Pay site notes that:
"Nearly 90% of the ATM machines in USA accept Unionpay debit card for USD cash withdrawal."
It also notes a daily limit of RMB10,000.That kind of limit is never going to trouble me!  xxxxxxxxxx

Again, from the 'times have certainly changed department' I would not worry about the RMB side of the deal. I would worry that the US banking system collapsed while I was trying to locate a Citibank ATM.

That is because I am neurotic about banks.   agagagagag       
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
What are fees going to like though? I think I'll just convert some RMB in Dollars know exactly what it's costing me in exchange.

If you have a look at the union pay website it does explain how it works. It doesn't look any different to what happens if I use my Austalian card in other countries. It does explain some of the fees or in some cases no fees - and for others things it depends on your bank. I didn't realise that it was even possible - I remember how very hard it was to get any Korean card to work internationally if you were a foreigner - and didn't realise that it is at least possible (easier) from China).
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

Borkya

Thanks for the info guys! I feel much better regarding the visa.  bjbjbjbjbj

As for the bank card I found out that my bank (China Construction Bank) has a deal with Bank of America. I don't do my banking with BoA (I mean I'm not stupid after all!) but I can definitely hit up some BoA ATM's and bring the cash to my happy little bank so I don't have to pay any extra fees (just the exchange rate which is pretty good on ATM's right?)

I just wish someone here had done it, so I know it works. I mean, it seems like it SHOULD, but then, this is china ( ababababab) and who knows if it actually will.I'm gonna try to bring a bunch of cash with me, but there is a limit and I've been saving for a long time. Plus even with a money belt I get nervous carrying a couple grand of cash. (Plus there is the problem of getting US dollars in the first place in China. I guess I could bring a HUGE stack of RMB and exchange it, but then the rate isn't the best.)

I guess if worse comes to worse I am going to New York City for a day and I could hit up the China Construction branch there. The only problem is they totally messed up our names when entering our bank info and somehow both mine and my hubby's last name ended up being my middle name. So actual interaction with people won't get us too far cause one look at our ID and they will cry foul. So I want to try to stay with machines. 

xwarrior

so I know it works.

Maybe you could email Citibank in the US and ask them straight out questions about the system, procedures (eg the PIN requirement, etc. If it all stacks up you could carry a printout of their reply and show it if any problem arises.

It could make for some peace of mind on the venture

- Bette Midler

AMonk

Can you do a direct wire transfer from your Chinese bank into your account at the American bank? .... you would need the US Bank's ID number, as well as your Account number

OR

What about using Western Union to send money to yourself?
Moderation....in most things...

Borkya

Can you do a direct wire transfer from your Chinese bank into your account at the American bank? .... you would need the US Bank's ID number, as well as your Account number

OR

Well, if I do the wire transfer I've heard it takes FOREVER and pages and pages of paperwork to prove I've paid taxes and legally emplyed and all that.

And as for western union, yeah, I've done it before, but the while buying US dollars thing is a pain in the ass as well as the $2000 limit.

xwarrior

Western Union is a great system for receiving money.   xxxxxxxxxx

The problem I see in sending it to yourself is that the receiver has 3 days to pick it up or it will be returned to origin.
- Bette Midler

the biggest problem with the banking (like Korea) some banks issue cards to foreigners that are valid within china only. The cards usually state on them that there is no international use allowed. I have one from the BofChina like this. This way they can make yuou do the endless paperwork to get your money.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
I can confirm than an ICBC card works on several semi-randomly selected ATMS in the US.

Check your Res permit.  Most are unlimited multiple entry, but I've heard rumors of some that do have a limited numbers of entries.

Other powers conferred by a residence permit vary.  You need to have a Chinese friend translate the "Powers Conferred" section of yours.  I was personally hoping to be able to fly with mine, but it was limited to modest level of levitation.  If I want to fly, I still have to go to one of those low-gravity bamboo forests like in the movies. ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

seanf

I haven't got a Chinese bank account, so am not sure, but is Paypal an option?  If so, you can register an account and add your US and Chinese bank accounts and then transfer money between them

Sean :-)