eggcluck

• Still standing
Visa cancelation.
« on: November 21, 2013, 09:47:38 PM »
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 04:40:03 PM by eggcluck »
Still standing

Re: Visa cancelation.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 12:14:33 AM »
Absolutely no reason I can think of for them needing to do this. So no in that position I would not be giving them the passport. It is not going to be a visa they are cancelling... is it? Usually the visa gives the entry... and then becomes a Residency permit. You are probably right that they are trying to make things difficult for you... but there is definitely no need for them to cancel anything in your passport. Is it possible that you have misunderstood them?
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 04:49:01 AM »
It sounds fishy to me. I don't understand why cancelling your visa should require them to take your visa for several days? It shouldn't involve more than a trip to the local PSB and a stamp.

If you trust them (hah!) you might accompany them to the PSB now and ask them to switch your visa over to a tourist visa for the remainder of your time. This used to be done pretty regularly for teachers who wanted to travel a bit at the end of their contract.

The whole thing sounds fishy to me. I can't say for sure, but I really want to say that cancelling the visa doesn't even require your passport to be physically present. They can call up and have it cancelled after you leave, surely, if they're that concerned about it.

When does it expire on its own? Is waiting it out not an option?

eggcluck

• Still standing
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 05:42:10 AM »
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 04:30:54 PM by eggcluck »
Still standing

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 09:33:15 AM »
It is also true that right now you are giving them power that they simply do not have. The fact that people have believed them in the past and let them get away with it, and with the threats does not mean that they actually have that power. It is not for them to decide whether or not you can be given a tourist visa by the PSB. They do not have to help you to do this. You do not have to wait for the RP to expire.
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 02:40:22 PM »
teacheraus is right. You can go down to the PSB on your own and ask for a tourist visa yourself. However, if you're leaving before your contract is finished you may have difficulty there. The PSB will ask why you're leaving early. Do you have proof that they've breached your contract in some way? Can you threaten them right back?

They're full of shit (no way does it take 2 weeks to cancel a visa) but if I understand your problem correctly, you need them to cooperate so that you can leave the school ahead of time and move on to a new school that does not treat you like shit. That means basically going along with their B.S. What solution do they propose to this problem? Or are they basically trying to strongarm you into staying?

Take blacklisting threats with a grain of salt. Yes a blacklist does seem to exist, but it also does not seem like any old school can just add anyone to it willy-nilly. They can probably make things difficult for you if you want to stay in the same province but that's usually as far as these things go, barring really extreme circumstances.

eggcluck

• Still standing
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 05:16:52 PM »
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 04:32:25 PM by eggcluck »
Still standing

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 01:22:05 AM »
You're really in it deep like I am at the moment. My old school is refusing to cough up the paperwork to transfer my RP as well. I just left, didn't give them anything and have been working on the old RP. Illegal yes, but they won't budge and I've got a few more months to go before the original RP expires. I got the same line of BS from them about blacklisting, not being able to come back to China, etc. Good luck.

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 08:24:44 AM »
The problem that you have is that when you left the job that led to you getting the RP... assuming that the RP was related to working, then you have actually been staying and working illegally. The RP does not to my understanding give you the right to stay once you stop working for that employer.

BrandeX

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 08:32:30 PM »
I would almost guarantee that both of you, and others that get this exact kind of response from your employer, from this sort of situation - have had your visa/RP's obtained in a less than legit manner. As mentioned in eggcluck's post a month ago, the city listed on your documentation not matching the one you work in may be an indicator. Another is threatening you in a manner that would discourage you from handling the issue yourself at the PSB, which normally you could do.... however it may bring up any shady dealings they made to light.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 01:54:45 AM by BrandeX »

eggcluck

• Still standing
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 02:52:27 AM »
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 04:33:24 PM by eggcluck »
Still standing