Zhuhai American TPR School

• 3 replies
Zhuhai American TPR School
« on: July 04, 2013, 09:28:14 PM »
I am sorry about putting this topic in the wrong section

I have heard good reviews about this school on DavesESL. However the contract that they sent me seems to be one-sided in favor of the school . I do now have some doubts   about this school. I did request quite a few changes to their original contract considering it was also vauge and confusing.

I would like to here from former and even current teachers who have work at that school.

I was told the school is located across the bay from Hong Kong in a small city called Zhuhai. I am also hopping to here from anyone that lived in Zhuhai, Guangdong. This is my first time teaching in China, so I have steep learning curve.

Thanks, GeminiTeacher

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
Re: Zhuhai American TPR School
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 08:32:19 PM »
If you don't mind, it would be best to post the generic parts of the contract if case it's necessary to exclude any proprietary or sensitive info, which is unlikely.

I don't know much about Zhuhai, but I live in nearby Guangzhou. You are close to Macau and Hong Kong, which is a nice to have for most people, but not a super-fantastic, except for the convenience of the HK airport.

Guangdong is rapidly and massively expanding their public transportation system, mostly trains, so that it will be convenient to travel around the central and southeast and east part of Guangdong. It's probably the biggest public transportation project in the history of the world.

I've never heard anything bad about Zhuhai and not a lot of neutral. People seem to like it for a relatively not-huge city that has a reputation for being very clean and organized. If you like sea food and ocean swimming, those are bonuses. If you speak Portugese and Cantonese, those are bonuses. :)

BrandeX

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 04:11:18 AM »
Frankly I don't think anyone actually speaks Portuguese there. I've only noticed some writing on a handful of historical items. According to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macau#Demographics Portuguese speakers are only 0.6% of the population. For some reason people get even more impressed at a casual "lei ho" and some odd bits, than the average local does with a "ni hao".

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 12:32:09 AM »
I want to thank everyone for reading and also for those that took the time in replying to my post.

Thanks again, GeminiTeacher  agagagagag