Dongbei University of Finance & Economics

• 6 replies
Dongbei University of Finance & Economics
« on: June 11, 2013, 04:54:08 PM »
Hi All,

Does anyone have information on their joint venture program?

I wrote to them and got some details about the size of the EAP department (about 30) and the number of contact hours ( up to 20. However they were very cagey about the level of pay.

Anyone got any experience of this lot?

Monkey King

Re: Dongbei University of Finance & Economics
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 07:24:05 PM »
If its the JV with Surrey, I remembered seeing an ad with salary for head of EAP a couple of years ago, which I have dug up for you.  Might give you a general idea of pay levels there (needs Very Passable Nicety):

http://web.archive.org/web/20110128083438/http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/ACD655/head-of-eap

Head of EAP
DUFE-SII China
University of Surrey - Surrey International Institute, DUFE

Attractive package

In the region of USD $30,500 (205,000 RMB)

(plus relocation assistance, accommodation, flights, plus annual & end of contract bonuses)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 07:31:54 PM by MK »

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 02:09:56 PM »
Just an FYI, when I loaded the URL into my browser that's not VeeeeeeePeeeeeeeNnnnnnnnnnnn'd, it worked fine.

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 02:51:33 AM »
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 01:32:45 AM by Isidnar »

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 04:38:37 AM »
I did a single semester with the SII program many years ago, cannot pass fair comment on it now. At the time pay was average for Dalian, (which is on the low side nationally), but in terms of students, colleagues and materials, a rather decent 2+2 joint program. Which for some might mean a pretty girl with a few warts, for others a dog in need (but not desperate need) of a flea bath. I left for a corporate gig (= more rmb), not because of the warts/fleas.
What I have heard, over the grapevine, (and as such this is completely unreliable), is that a great upheaval is taking place, and that a lot of people are leaving. Once the dust has settled it will be a very different program. But who, what, why, how, are all questions to ask someone else. I'm an outsider, and have been for a long time. Come to think of it, that's no doubt true for many of the people working there now. That's always been my take on teaching in China. We foreigners are always outside the loop, even when dealing with the foreign partner unis in England, the US, Aus, etc. We rely too heavily on the rumour mill because reliable info is so hard to come by.

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 09:29:03 AM »
Check with A-Train.  bjbjbjbjbj He is currently working there and may be less than underwhelmed by the British management.   aoaoaoaoao agagagagag agagagagag
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

A-Train

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 02:40:54 PM »
DUFE is the oldest continuing university in China as it, somehow, survived the Cultural Revolution. The JV with the University of Surrey, (recently ranked 8th in The U.K.) mmmmmmmmmm, has a 2 + 2 where the students apply for a dual degree, (DUFE and Surrey), for their junior and senior years.  If you teach in that program you can expect high pay, few hours/weeks and nightmarish encounters with the administration in England.  If you are in the single-degree program , (SII), the pay is still relatively good with more hours/weeks.

The SII English Language department had remarkable continuity in its teaching staff, but as Latefordinner mentioned, there has been a giant upheaval at SII at all managerial levels and blinding turnover; this is probably why you came across the job opening.  He is also quite right when saying that even the staff doesn't really know anything until about six weeks after it happens as the Chinese like treat them like mushrooms, (keep them in the dark and feed them manure), but that's probably par for the course in China.

That said, as a language teacher you could a LOT worse.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck