HM Queen Elizabeth II died ...

• 5 replies

AMonk

HM Queen Elizabeth II died ...
« on: September 10, 2022, 12:46:16 AM »

... at her Balmoral home, in Scotland, on Thursday, 8 September, 2022. 

She was 96 years old, and had reigned for 70 years. She had worked right up to Tuesday, 6 September, when she  met the (latest) Prime Minister.

We shall not see her like again.

R.I.P., your Majesty.
Moderation....in most things...

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: HM Queen Elizabeth II died ...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 08:01:46 PM »
I've noticed something unusual about Charles.  Of course he's sad that his mother passed away, but I'd also expect some sort of positive emotions about becoming the new King.  In every photo I've seen of him since the queen died, he looks like his main thought is "I'm too old for this bqbqbqbqbq."

Another problem is that most of the world, including the UK, turned climate change from a science issue into a political debate - and the ruling monarch isn't supposed to get involved in political debates.  So Prince Charles the proponent of making the world a cleaner and greener place is now King Charles III, who doesn't get involved with political issues.  amamamamam
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

AMonk

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 12:40:25 AM »
It must be very hard to have to mourn, while the world watches and judges.  No, he's been around long enough to know that this next phase is not a walk in the park. Looks glamorous, but is really stressful and difficult work.  He and his family have made it look easy.  Power to them.  But would you really enjoy living in their fishbowl?

As for the rest, Charles did 'indoctrinate' his sons with his enthusiasm / dedication to the Cause.  I imagine that his work will still be going ahead, despite his self-imposed (tradition-dictated) silence from here on in.

Moderation....in most things...

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 04:23:23 PM »
I'd buy a round for the whole royal family if Charles stood up in front of parliament and said:

"As your king, I don't comment on political issues.

Climate change is not political.  It is science.  It is happening.  Many island nations will lose most or all of their territory if we don't make big changes now.  Many coastal cities around the world will be inundated if we don't make big changes now.  The Thames flood barrier won't be enough to protect London if we don't make big changes now.

For the good of the United Kingdom and the world, I expect each and every one of you to support efforts to reduce the emissions of CO2 and other greenhouse gasses.  You may have your political arguments over how to do it, but I expect to see real and sustained progress on the issue as soon as humanly possible."

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2022, 06:56:43 AM »
You can't hold power and not be political

If you join the army you have to swear loyalty to the Queen. When Sinn Fein which was the political wing of the IRA became legit and got elected in Northern Ireland there was a mini controversy because they would not say 'God Save the Queen'
I'm not even against the monarchy, 'it's complicated; but it is politics absolutely. Come on man..
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 07:20:36 AM by kitano »

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2022, 07:00:21 AM »
I'd buy a round for the whole royal family if Charles stood up in front of parliament and said:

"As your king, I don't comment on political issues.

Climate change is not political.  It is science.  It is happening.  Many island nations will lose most or all of their territory if we don't make big changes now.  Many coastal cities around the world will be inundated if we don't make big changes now.  The Thames flood barrier won't be enough to protect London if we don't make big changes now.

For the good of the United Kingdom and the world, I expect each and every one of you to support efforts to reduce the emissions of CO2 and other greenhouse gasses.  You may have your political arguments over how to do it, but I expect to see real and sustained progress on the issue as soon as humanly possible."

Charles actually has some very good views on a lot of stuff. Not just the environment, he is against badly designed housing and young people not being offered opportunities based on their family not being rich

He is unfortunately dumb because he grew up in a golden cage, but he might get to do some good. We shall see

In Britain we like to think that the royal family do nothing, but they do have a lot of money and get to talk to all of the world leaders, it will change the world