For those starting in September, have you got your invitation letter yet?

• 23 replies
I'm starting to get a bit worried about my school. They say they're still processing paperwork, but they've had it for nearly 2 months now.

So...for those starting in September...do you have your invitation letters already? Is it normal to wait this long?

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
Yes, it's normal. Your employer has to obtain the necessary paperwork to allow you to apply for a visa from two different government branches and it takes some time (and expense).

Don't 'sweat it'. If you're late you're late... no biggie!

bfbfbfbfbf

EDIT: In China (and Asia in general) one has to cultivate the ability to 'hurry up and wait'.  ahahahahah 

One thing I would advise is to not buy a plane ticket until you have the Z-visa in your passport. The employer should be reimbursing the full amount... so don't 'panic' while watching airfares rise as the start date of your contract approaches.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 03:01:57 PM by cruisemonkey »
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

It's just they've had the paperwork they need for literally ages - almost 2 months! How long does it usually take to get the stuff for the visa?

Getting worried because although there's been communication with the school, it's going to take me a week to get the visa from the embassy after they sent the stuff I need, and probably another 4-6 days for them to mail the paperwork from China to my home country in the first place.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
It's just they've had the paperwork they need for literally ages - almost 2 months! How long does it usually take to get the stuff for the visa?

During the summer holiday when no one really works at the school, it's difficult to get the head of school's chop when he's on holiday with his mistress.

As cruise monkey said, get used to the hurry and up wait. That's how it is here.

babala

It's true you have to wait but it does seem a bit long. I hired a teacher in May/June and we processed his paperwork ASAP. It takes about 1 month in China to gather all the documents. We sent him his documentation around mid July and he has now gone to his embassy to get his Z visa.

I would check with the school again.
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

It's true you have to wait but it does seem a bit long. I hired a teacher in May/June and we processed his paperwork ASAP. It takes about 1 month in China to gather all the documents. We sent him his documentation around mid July and he has now gone to his embassy to get his Z visa.

I would check with the school again.

Thing is, whenever I check with them they just tell me the paperwork is still being processed. The last time I checked was a couple of weeks ago.

At what point do I cut my losses? Should I just apply elsewhere, give another school my documents, and then just sit back and wait to see who actually gets the Z visa stuff first? Because I can't really afford to be sat here for months without an income, and while the timescale for public school positions has probably passed, I could get a job for a year with a training centre just so I've got some money coming in if that's the only option.

Is there any downside to applying with another school and just waiting to see which one gets me the visa first? Kinda wishing I did that originally now...

Downside potentially if both are in the same city you end up with neither.

Things take time... A month is not uncommon. If they are processing for multiple people it would be possible they waited a little for someone else's paperwork to come in before they submitted yours... But what you are describing is quite simply not out of the ordinary.  You speak as if all they need to process your paperwork is what you sent them. That is not true. There is other paperwork they do that needs the right person to be there to sign it.  Honestly, I would not be afraid to ask them again where it is up to, but unless you have some reason to doubt the truth of what they are saying... it could be true.
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

Digicig

• Newbie to ESL and China - Reiki assisted!
124china
Not in a dissimilar position as far as my comfort zone being pushed - though i am in contact with the college representative and it has apparently been posted - then 2 weeks to get the visa before i can book my flight  aoaoaoaoao

The College has stated that i can arrive later than the September 1st start date if visa is adelayed at least  bibibibibi

Good Luck with the Invitation and Enjoy China  bfbfbfbfbf
Convictions create convicts!

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
Should I just apply elsewhere, give another school my documents, and then just sit back and wait to see who actually gets the Z visa stuff first? Because I can't really afford to be sat here for months without an income, and while the timescale for public school positions has probably passed, I could get a job for a year with a training centre just so I've got some money coming in if that's the only option.

Is there any downside to applying with another school and just waiting to see which one gets me the visa first? Kinda wishing I did that originally now...

Accepting a position at another school would probably be the worst thing you could do. Once the bureaucratic paperwork process has started, you're 'in' the nation-wide system (in all but a couple of provinces) and you're tied to the employer. If another employer tries to get you a LOI and WP those applications will be 'red flagged'... and you could find yourself with not two, not one, but NO job (and unable to apply for others).

You have made a commitment, stick to it. The employer has an investment in you (both in time and money). It takes a bit of a 'leap of faith', but remember things don't happen in China the way they do in the West... so relax, hurry up and wait. All will be well in the end. The employer knows you can't come before you have your visa.

The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

Should I just apply elsewhere, give another school my documents, and then just sit back and wait to see who actually gets the Z visa stuff first? Because I can't really afford to be sat here for months without an income, and while the timescale for public school positions has probably passed, I could get a job for a year with a training centre just so I've got some money coming in if that's the only option.

Accepting a position at another school would probably be the worst thing you could do. Once the bureaucratic paperwork process has started, you're 'in' the nation-wide system (in all but a couple of provinces) and you're tied to the employer. If another employer tries to get you a LOI and WP those applications will be 'red flagged'... and you could find yourself with not two, not one, but NO job (and unable to apply for others).

You have made a commitment, stick to it. The employer has an investment in you (both in time and money). It takes a bit of a 'leap of faith', but remember things don't happen in China the way they do in the West... so relax, hurry up and wait. All will be well in the end. The employer knows you can't come before you have your visa.

Don't get me wrong, I want to go to the first school. The location is good, the hours are good, the pay is good (considering the hours), and the foreign teachers I've spoke to there are all happy with the place.

It just feels like it's been an awfully long time, and as I'm sure we can all understand - it would be nice to have the uncertainty removed and 'know' that I have a job and an income coming in for sure.

If there is a nationwide system (didn't know that before, so thanks) I guess my only option is to trust the current school. I emailed them today, and they emailed me back saying not to worry, they'll let me know when they get the paperwork finished, and if I'm a week or two late it doesn't matter. I was just getting worried and wanted to see if this is common or whether I'm almost certainly getting dicked about. Looks like it's common enough not to worry yet.

Just wondering...is there some phone number I can call to check whether the paperwork has actually been submitted or not? If it's a nationwide system there must be someone who I can give my name and school to who can check if they've submitted the documents, right? If I knew the documents had been submitted I wouldn't be worried since I'd know I'd be arriving eventually. Or would this be impossible unless I can speak Chinese? (I can't).

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
I'm unaware of any way you can 'check' (even it you could speak Chinese).

I know what you're going through, and it's difficult not to worry - because I went through exactly the same thing. The employer is responding (a good sign) and telling you not to worry. I'm telling you not to worry... so DON"T WORRY (easier said than done... LOL). As I said, "All will be well in the end"... and you'll soon be in China 'looking back' thinking WTF was I so worried about?
 bfbfbfbfbf

I'n the mean time, while you're waiting, eat lots of your favorite 'Western' foods - for me: cheddar cheese, Doritos and smoked farmer sausage. The foods might be extremely expensive, difficult... or even impossible to obtain depending on where in China you're headed.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 12:04:49 PM by cruisemonkey »

I'm unaware of any way you can 'check' (even it you could speak Chinese).

I know what you're going through, and it's difficult not to worry - because I went through exactly the same thing. The employer is responding (a good sign) and telling you not to worry. I'm telling you not to worry... so DON"T WORRY (easier said than done... LOL). As I said, "all will be well in the end"... and you'll soon be in China 'looking back' thinking WTF was I so worried about?
 bfbfbfbfbf

Right, suppose I can just sit tight and wait. It's good to know other people faced similar issues and it all worked out for them. I've never been through getting a job online and trusting some people on the other side of the world, so it's easy to start panicking a bit.

I was told to expect mine in 6-8 weeks from the day they start processing. Oh,I am moving back to China (Dalian) in October. ;)

Digicig

• Newbie to ESL and China - Reiki assisted!
Got sent a pic of a piece of paper with Chinese writing on it, via Wechat from my contact at the college - which he has indicated is my Invitation and was posted the same day.
With my incapacity to interpret what i an see - i'll take his word on it - plus he keeps on asking, on Skype, if i've received it yet? ;)

Convictions create convicts!

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
I've psychically translated the piece of paper with Chinese writing on it. It says -
'Help! I'm being held captive in a fortune cookie factory.'

ahahahahah