A brief report from Nepal

• 49 replies
Re: A brief report from Nepal
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2007, 08:58:27 PM »
chalk me up as another jealous one. i had the good fortune to be able to go hiking in nepal for a school trip when i was young, and absolutely fell in love with the country. i have to admit that one of my (many) reasons for wanting to come to china was its proximity to nepal, and i can't wait until i have enough money to get back there.

« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2007, 05:41:10 AM »
chalk me up as another jealous one. i had the good fortune to be able to go hiking in nepal for a school trip when i was young, and absolutely fell in love with the country. i have to admit that one of my (many) reasons for wanting to come to china was its proximity to nepal, and i can't wait until i have enough money to get back there.

Yes, it is a wonderful country...if you can cope with some of the typical problems here. As a tourist, you may perhaps not be so aware of them. But like in China, when working here and staying here for a longer period of time, things may look a bit different. Actually, there many Western volunteers working and living here for some time (in addition to those very few in paid positions by Nepali employers. Very clearly, as a foreigner you will need enough money to live on.... 300 - 400 USD a month at least! And going outside the big city of Kathmandu is a good thing to do if you want to experience the "real" life in that country. I recently have been to a typical Nepali village, and this is still where the major part of the population lives..illiterate...poor infrastructure...struggling hard to survive.... but very, very friendly people....beware of other parts of the country (North West) under the contoll of Maoist guerilla. They may point a gun at you and ask you for a "donation" of several 100 USD and even give you a receipt. I have avoided these "hot" and somewhat risky places, and if you do, you will be absolutely on the safe side and have a most pleasant and enjyoable stay. Another area whete you should not go at present is Terrai (southern part) of Nepal...There are many diseases and even malaria, and there is also some political unrest with shooting and a civil-war like situation. Nobody can know when these things will change for the better. But there is a good reason to warn all those to travel to those parts without someone you can absolutely trust and who is from that area to guide you. Other parts of the country are OK and no problem to go to.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2007, 02:13:05 PM »
Abu - I was talking to the US debate people yesterday and they tell me that the ESL teachers (not sure if they meant local or foreign) have started a debate project in the schools/colleges in Nepal.  Could be fun for your students to be involved.

« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2007, 09:19:22 PM »
Abu - I was talking to the US debate people yesterday and they tell me that the ESL teachers (not sure if they meant local or foreign) have started a debate project in the schools/colleges in Nepal.  Could be fun for your students to be involved.

Thanks for the info. Have you got more details so that I can communicate it to our school and students? How can we locate it/find it, and which way is it "delivered"?
I appreciate any info you could provide. Thank you.
I will keep all of you updated.....
Have a great day!

« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2007, 04:27:53 AM »
Any Canuck could relate to that "Two Big Brothers" state of affairs.  Seems to me Nepal should do what we did: play them off against each other.

And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com