Introductions

• 1851 replies

Motzie

Re: Introductions
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2007, 12:44:36 PM »
Well if the bar doesn't stock any good wines ....can we order it :) I promise to be on  jjjjjjjjjj

Thanks for the warm welcome back guys

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2007, 01:42:06 PM »
Australian, took leave of absence for one year from my job and came here to teach.  Went back home after the 12 months saw my boss, took an extra 2 years and then decided I was kidding myself, I didn't want to go back to working 10 hour days when I could work 12 hour weeks and still live well, so resigned.  Been here over 3 years now.

Have ball travelling in China, taking  a few thousand photos each trip, and living the youth I spent in working raising 3 fabulous daughters.  Don't have plans to return any time soon - and am even finding it difficult to wing my way to Oz to see family and friends - I get them to come to me.

Motzie

« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2007, 02:02:44 PM »
Never had rice wine....is one of the things I plan on finding when I'm on my too few days in China during July  afafafafaf

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2007, 04:32:57 PM »
Rice wine is OK - not brilliant, but don't try to pretend it is "wine" - think of it as another beverage altogether and you'll manage it well.  Shaanbei-ren like rice wine as well, and I've had it, warmed, in restaurants here.

Best rice wine I had was in Vietnam.  I had gone up into the hill-tribes area to the north-west and stayed in a small village.  At night half the population popped in and started to celebrate - local dances and plenty of drinking.  The rice wine was in a large pottery vat and to drink it we used maybe half-a-dozen long bamboo straws.  Knelt beside the vat, drank what we wanted, moved out, sat back, watched others drink, danced, came back for another turn.  It was a great night, and one of the dancers gave me her sash that she had worn.

No - the bamboo straws weren't washed between each turn.

phets72

« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2007, 04:43:00 PM »
Welcome Lotus to our new home.

We are still awaiting with baited breath for our ll. But it's nice to see you finally made it here!

A drink on the brains! agagagagag

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2007, 11:40:01 PM »
Never had rice wine....is one of the things I plan on finding when I'm on my too few days in China during July  afafafafaf

Been treated to a nice amber rice wine by a local civic official and was quite surprised by its pleasant taste.  Have also tried opaque white rice wine - very difficult to appreciate.
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2007, 11:42:29 PM »
LE, glad you finally arrived at the new digs.  Have a drink on LT, a second drink on George, and finish up with as much as you want after those courtesy of good ol' Raoul, hisself.

« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2007, 11:42:47 PM »
I didn't know it came in Amber ???
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2007, 11:20:47 PM »
BK, congratulations: you're the first new member to announce themself since we moved to this new spot. ababababab aiaiaiaiai

Fair enough, I'll cough up this drink.  agagagagag Prairie fire, right?  aaaaaaaaaa
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2007, 05:11:51 AM »
I am 33 and still living in the States. I will be finishing school next year about this time and plan on teaching overseas. At the moment I am researching everything as best I can.

My job right now is sitting around doing nothing because of a workplace accident. After having time to think about things I realized the jobs that involve accidents and surgery are not for me. bibibibibi

« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2007, 05:13:03 AM »
Of course, many people (including myself for a long time) make the mistake of thinking that baijiu is rice wine.  It isn't.  Baijiu is made from wheat.  Rice wine proper is stuff like sake, which is about as near the the perfect alcohol as you can get - weak enough to be pleasantly drinkable, yet strong enough to get you on the floor.
It is too early to say.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2007, 07:02:03 AM »
Of course, many people (including myself for a long time) make the mistake of thinking that baijiu is rice wine.  It isn't.  Baijiu is made from wheat.  Rice wine proper is stuff like sake, which is about as near the the perfect alcohol as you can get - weak enough to be pleasantly drinkable, yet strong enough to get you on the floor.

Most Baijiu is actually distilled out of sorghum with some notable exceptions depending on the geographical area.

Rice wine, commonly available in Hebei around winter time is also called mijiu and tastes pretty good hot. Absolutely no realtionship to baijiu or whatsoever. almost good stuff.
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

George

• My view of China
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2007, 12:20:47 PM »
Welcome aboard, Allen. 33 and still in school? Duzzenmatta, there is always a place in China for slow learners!! agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2007, 02:38:10 PM »
Yeah. I have had so many different rice wines it is hard to group them. I have had them from clear to amber to white to having floating bits of grain to dark brown and one that is black and tastes salty. Many are quite sweet, but I am told that isn't sugar added, but comes from the fermentation. Some from the north, I am told, are more like saki. Some are sort of like a rice beer.

Most aren't too  bad, except I think the last dark one was trying to taste like soy sauce and succeeding far too well.

Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2007, 04:06:41 PM »
I noticed a new member, Noel Murray.  Welcome!  Is this a new ID or is this a true newbie?  Here, have a drink on my friend, Con.  When he is tapped out, the two of us can find someone else to set up a round.  Hey LT, is it your shout again?