Visa question

• 4 replies

A-Train

Visa question
« on: April 24, 2009, 07:19:20 AM »
I was supposed to go to Huainan, Anhui for a business trip but it never materialized.  So now I have a Category "F" visa good for one year with multiple entries.  I'd like to take a week or so vacation to a couple of cities in China, (not Huainan), late this summer or early fall.  Do I need to go through the b.s. of obtaining a different, (vacation), visa for this trip or should I just use the one I have and tell the authorities at passport-check that I'm there for business reasons?
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Re: Visa question
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 01:24:33 PM »
The "authorities at passport-check" are unlikely to ask or care why you are there as long as you have a shiny Visa in the passport. Don't waste time or money. Take what you've got and go.
You have to care for it to matter.
http://www.haerbinger.com - All About Harbin

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 01:28:09 PM »
Yeah, just go.

The problem is the other way. If you get caught doing business or working on a lesser visa, then they might jig up. But tourists, they won't even blink. If you like, you can think of your bizniz visa is an upgrade of the tourist visa.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

Ruth

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 01:42:59 PM »
The "authorities at passport-check" will likely look at your passport photo, look at you, compare your passport information to what you've written on your entry card (will be given to you on the plane, or you can pick up at customs/immigration), find a clean spot in your passport to put the stamp and send you on your way - with or without a smile depending on how their day is going.  I've been in and out many times and NEVER have they spoken to me, let alone ask questions.

Lucky you - a year's visa, multiple entry.  Use it and enjoy.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

A-Train

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 08:45:37 PM »
That's welcome news.  I'm used to being grilled just trying to get into Canada from the U.S.  I've been searched, grilled, background-checked, asked to produce business cards and letters from businesses I had intended to visit in Canada and other experiences I've pushed out of my memory.  And I don't have any black marks on my record.  As if anyone would actually WANT to go to Canuck-land if they didn't have to.

Now to decide which cities to visit.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck