When Can China Import Expat Teachers Again?

• 28 replies

Ivyman

When Can China Import Expat Teachers Again?
« on: March 01, 2021, 04:09:33 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Since last year, things have been great for us foreigners.  Coronavirus means we are in high demand, short supply.  We get jobs easier, higher pay, and employers retain us more.

When will that all end?  June?  Or sooner?

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: When Can China Import Expat Teachers Again?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 04:32:42 PM »
It's possible for foreigners to get in now, just with a quarantine on entry to China (and possibly a second quarantine at the destination city).  That's enough to discourage some people from coming.

When will it end?  That really depends on how the virus situation goes.  Some countries are doing well enough that China may consider a travel bubble.  Others are not doing nearly so well.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 05:29:08 PM »
Multivalent vaccines.

Plus some believable program of booster shots available inside China.

Mid-2022.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 04:24:40 AM »
Yes need an update on this. We are double Pfizered as is over 60% of the population here in Israel so... looking to travel.
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 07:22:14 PM »
It's probably worth a quick visit to the Chinese embassy to get the absolute latest.

As I understand it, those who are fully vaccinated at least 2 weeks ago (not sure of the full list of acceptable vaccines) are entitled to skip quarantine, but do have to take 2 different types of tests no more than 3 days before flying to China.

If anyone has the latest info, please share.
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 01:32:00 PM »
Feb 2022 - Winter Olympics Beijing
Late 2022 - CCP 20th Party Congress
And reportedly the national vaccination program is moving slow too.

One should probably place their bets on rear entry covid tests and three week false positive quarantine well into 2022.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 07:06:27 PM »
It will be nice when the vaccination rate speeds up.  I think the problem in GZ will get it through people's heads that just because we have extremely few cases nationwide doesn't mean another big outbreak is impossible.  GZ got caught in time, but it could happen again.  Complacency is the enemy that took down so many countries that thought the issue was under control.
EscapedLunatic.com

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 11:24:59 PM »
Bumping this- how is the vaccination program going around the country? Can people chime in? Also will the lack of available teachers have any effect on things like upper age limit on visas? WE are in two minds as to whether it's even worth applying at this point.
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2021, 06:30:29 PM »
Vaccinations are available nationwide inside of China.  To the best of my knowledge, foreigners need an appointment and locals will need at appointment at some vaccination sites, but not others.  Right now, I don't see any big pushed to "Get vaccinated today!", must likely because it will take awhile longer to produce enough vaccine to get everyone one done.  Instead, promotions are small and local so that supplies can keep up with demand.

The latest data I can find shows 872 million doses administered, but doesn't break that down to how many people are partially vs fully vaccinated.  Assuming a target of 1.2 billion fully vaccinated (which would be a solid percent of the public) and 2 doses, we'll need to get 2.4 million injections done, so we're very roughly about 36% of the way there.  Considering the number went up over 500 million in the last month, even if things level off, it won't take too many more months to get almost everyone fully vaccinated.

My best guess is that not all teachers will want to come back, so I expect you could probably find some openings.
EscapedLunatic.com

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2021, 12:22:24 PM »
Hi again everyone

I am doing my visa now. I was contacted by a few agents and friends who I have on my WeChat who say that they can get me PU letters and so on. I don't have the visa yet so cross your fingers for me
Will keep you all updated

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2021, 05:33:50 PM »
 agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2021, 08:34:29 PM »
And then there was Omicron.

If Welcome mats do ever appear again, I kinda think it won't be until 2022 is over.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2021, 04:03:35 PM »
If you can get a proper PU invite letter, then you can get the visa and get in (don't forget to pack several weeks worth of snacks and a few novels to read during your time in Q).

Unless there's some major breakthrough on prevention or treatment of Covid, I do agree we're looking at least a year for a return to what things were like in 2019.

Look on the bright side.  At least it's not the centuries long struggle against massive waves of bubonic plague.
EscapedLunatic.com

Ivyman

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2021, 08:18:02 PM »
I agree.

1.  People from all over want to come to China.

2.  I will tell them to get a PU letter.  Isn't that the same as Chinese vaccine certificate from a doctor?

3.  Do they need to be from a native country, or can my other friends come in, too?

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2021, 03:52:24 PM »
A PU letter is some form of formal invitation letter.  It's needed to apply for a visa.  The hiring organization needs to be properly certified to acquire foreign employees in order to arrange one.

Vaccination is a whole other ballgame.  China does acknowledge some other vaccines, but the paperwork is a lot simpler for someone who's had 2 doses of the approved Chinese vaccines.

If it's specifically an English teaching position, it will be MUCH easier to get permission to hire someone from an English speaking country.  It may be possible to get the invite letter for someone where English isn't the native language, but it will likely be a far more difficult process convincing everyone involved to agree to issue the invitation letter.
EscapedLunatic.com