Maintaining BOC account, Chinese phone while outside CN?

• 6 replies
Maintaining BOC account, Chinese phone while outside CN?
« on: July 20, 2020, 12:32:57 PM »
Hi guys.  I worked in CN 2016-18 and I've been back in the UK since.  I decided as I left, to keep my CN phone sim card going (with the min. monthly payments thru wechat) and also to try and keep my BOC bank account open.  I left 100 RMB in there just to have something in it.  I have been logging in occasionally since I left CN, just to show some activity.  I do plan to return to working in CN one day. 

Recently when I logged in to online BOC banking, it started showing a pop-up message asking me to update my details.  Should I update them all to my current UK status, or is it ok to just leave them as they were when I was in China?

Also, what are your thoughts ok keeping a phone and bank account active after leaving CN?  Is that the standard thing to do, or do most people just close everything down?
Thanks for any advice!

Re: Maintaining BOC account, Chinese phone while outside CN?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 12:36:56 PM »
Oh by the way this is the message, with the two options:

"Dear customer, as your customer information reserved in our bank has not been updated for more than one year, please verify and confirm whether relevant customer information has changed. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!(00001)

- Go to Confirm                  - Not to Confirm Temporarily"

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 07:01:52 PM »
Probably need to know bank policy, and for that probably have to call them. I'd personally be super surprised to see a bank close an account just because of inactivity, that kinda seems like it must be illegal or banks would be doing it all over.

Probably though you just need to confirm details as unchanged, especially if your China SIM still works and can be worked from where you are now.

/opinion, not fact

when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 09:54:25 PM »
I think Calach may be right.  If you account is still tied to that SIM, if the confirmation goes to that SIM, and if you can still get messages on that SIM, it should be possible to just say "Nothing's changed" and then update them when you get back to China and can do it in person.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 11:00:23 PM »
BoC has been changing procedures quite often over the past year.
Now they keep track of visa and passport expiration date and will block your account if your passport expires.
Other than that, it's just fun business as usual.
I'd keep the information the same as it is to avoid any issues stemming from maybe new procedures tracking registrations and god knows what.
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 03:26:11 AM »
Thanks a lot for the info guys.  I'll update in this thread if something else arises

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 03:01:43 AM »
I left China in 2017 and left a bank account with about 7000rmb in. I lost my bank card and told them, I went back last year and was able to get a new card and everything no problem in 2019 so the account shouldn't be a problem
They probably recycle phone numbers though, I always get a new number when I go to China