apple: update iOS but not to the latest iOS?

• 3 replies
apple: update iOS but not to the latest iOS?
« on: January 15, 2017, 02:09:32 PM »
I'm holding an iphone in my hand. (And my flesh is not burning!)

This is an iphone 4s currently running iOS 5. The software update function has alerted me to an available iOS 9 update, bu I don't want that. I want iOS 7. People say iOS 9 on an iphone  4s has some speed issues/compromises. They also say iOS 5 is a bit to old and that iOS 7 can be good on such an iold phone. So, can I? What part of my soul will I have to sell?
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Re: apple: update iOS but not to the latest iOS?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 07:35:20 PM »
At the risk of looking like a shill....... can you up/downgrade to whatever iOS you want so long as you have some data recovery software and an IPSW file?

old34

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 03:55:22 AM »
I think so within limits. Apple sometimes limits the ability to downgrade at a certain point. Never had that issue as every upgrade has gone relatively smoothly. I think the ones who have that issue are those who like to jailbreak, of which I suspect you would be one. Apple tries to break the jail breakers with successive iOS updates, which is when the jailbreakers start scrambling to downgrade. don't now for sure, because it's not an issue I've had to deal with.

Ask the Internet.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 01:48:52 PM »
Ideally, no jailbreaking. I'm just tinkering. But I'm not seeing how I can do this without venturing to the dark side. iTunes tells me the only signed update I can get is iOS 9.

My flesh hasn't burned but I may be developing a rash