Apostrophe Police!
« on: January 26, 2010, 12:00:21 PM »
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Foscolo

• Boom boom!
    • ELTpublishing
Re: Apostrophe Police!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 02:15:50 PM »
Thank's for the link. A great piece - I like it's style.
Free stuff for teaching English with jokes: ESLjokes.net.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 02:46:52 PM »
A brilliant little piece indeed! bfbfbfbfbf
Don't think it will have an impact, though. People will continue to use an apostrophe like the guy pictured at the top of the Oatmeal piece- shown wielding it like a club- and I will continue to weep profusely.

I can't help it. Anytime I see apostrophes repeatedly misused, here is the mental picture I get of the author:

Anyway. Others on the Oatmeal pages might be more useful, like "I'm The Motherf**king Pterodactyl" or "6 Reasons To Keep Your Tyrannosaur Off Crack Cocaine"
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 04:09:30 PM »
A nice little poster indeed. I think most of us could use that at some point.
Some of the other (less teacher oriented but still fun) stuff on that site. They have a quizz to tell you how likely it is that your family wants to eat you. (There's a 63% chance that my family wants to eat me. I think the giveaway was the teriyaki sauce in the bed sheets)

xwarrior

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 05:25:08 PM »
for George

bfbfbfbfbf

The war of the apostrophe

English council under attack for anti-apostrophe street-sign policy.

By Toby Manhire In The Internaut Print Share 25th March, 2013 Grammar  

Its an outrage.

An English local authority has upset right-thinking lovers of grammar the world over with its policy of removing apostrophes from street names, to “avoid potential confusion”.

Reports BBC Online: “Mid Devon District Council said its new streets had not contained apostrophes for many years, but the policy was now being made official.”
The famous Times of London, was undelighted, and swiftly drew the editorial pencil from its scabbard.

The punctilious urge to tidy up the language by excising apostrophes from proper names is admittedly found outside Devon and it appears to be spreading. But there are good reasons for avoiding that temptation …

The apostrophe is a punctuation mark that drives out ambiguity. It allows the reader to tell immediately if a word or name is a singular possessive (“Baker’s View”), a plural possessive (“Bakers’ View”) or a plural noun followed by a verb (“Bakers View”).

The apostrophe occupies a small space in print or on signs but performs an invaluable role by its presence, position or absence. There is no more versatile, precise and economical mark in the language. Writers who use it accurately can be sure of being understood. Those who use it heedlessly or dispense with it will, contrary to the aims of Mid Devon’s municipal authorities, provoke disarray where they intend only neatness and comprehension. Mark it well.

Or, as others have put it, notes the Times, “knowing your apostrophes is the difference between ‘knowing your s**t’ and ‘knowing you’re s**t’”.

The cause has been taken up outside England, too. Harvey Morris in the International Herald Tribune explores the current “grammar war”, and surveys the long global history of “skirmishes over the wayward apostrophe”.

And at Foreign Policy, Uri Friedman notes the passions apostrophes can rouse.
In 2009, for instance, the Daily Mail profiled a “punctuation hero” who was accused of being a vandal after he painted a missing apostrophe on a sign near his home (the man also refused to get in the “five items or less” line at the supermarket because the notice should read, ‘five items or fewer’).

That same year, the Birmingham City Council got in a feud with the UK’s Apostrophe Protection Society – yes, the Apostrophe Protection Society – after authorities refused to add apostrophes to the city’s road signs. “I have done my own research into the use of the possessive apostrophe in place names,” one council member declared in defending the decision.

As for the latest punctuation dustup, the Mid Devon District Council’s statement declares that “our proposed policy on street naming and numbering covers a whole host of practical issues, many of which are aimed at reducing potential confusion over street names.”

Careful readers will notice that the statement does not include a single apostrophe.

http://www.listener.co.nz/commentary/the-internaut/the-war-of-the-apostrophe/
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 05:58:40 PM »
 As a confirmed Grammar Nazi I love it  ahahahahah bfbfbfbfbf
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 06:02:09 PM »
El Jefe would have been all over this like white on rice. The Grammar War...like the Cold War, only without the whole nuclear holocaust scare... agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 07:09:04 PM »
The apostrophe is a punctuation mark that drives out ambiguity. It allows the reader to tell immediately if a word or name is a singular possessive (“Baker’s View”), a plural possessive (“Bakers’ View”) or a plural noun followed by a verb (“Bakers View”).

Or, as others have put it, notes the Times, “knowing your apostrophes is the difference between ‘knowing your s**t’ and ‘knowing you’re s**t’”.

I might be old school, but I also try to do things the right way. Even with kids from >8, I explain and emphasize "The Apostrophe's Place in English" I trully am a grammar nazi.

For those who are familiar with Toronto's CNE, there are two gates. One is called "The Pinces' Gates" in honour of the 2 (male) Prince Edward, Prince of Wales (later Edward VIII), and Prince George (later the Duke of Kent). Most people believe it's called "The Princess Gates"  kkkkkkkkkk

Image at http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/40/Canadian_National_Exhibition_2012_Entrance.jpg
or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Canadian_National_Exhibition_2012_Entrance.jpg
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 06:44:40 PM »
For those who are familiar with Toronto's CNE, there are two gates. One is called "The Pinces' Gates" in honour of the 2 (male) Prince Edward, Prince of Wales (later Edward VIII), and Prince George (later the Duke of Kent). Most people believe it's called "The Princess Gates"  kkkkkkkkkk

I thought the Pinces' Gates was named in honor of the Tim and Jack Pince, the inventors of the Pince-Nez. ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 07:44:13 PM »
then there's the pinches gate, where the gate pinches your butt because it closes quickly.

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 08:38:50 PM »
I kepp teling yu, I no gramerr, I can't sppel
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion