Canucks fail test

• 85 replies

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
Re: Canucks fail test
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2007, 05:40:02 PM »
  Canadians are a different kind of people with a different sense of identity (which isn't based on comparison with America). 

Are Canadians anti-American?  Generally no

At the risk of stirring things up on a thread that has calmed down somewhat I have to say as a Canadian I strongly disagree with the first statment and partially disagree with second statement as far as the average blue collar joe goes.

The fact is most other countries see Canadians as Americans whose money is worth less and fair enough from their perspective. The notion that wearing a Canadian flag on your backpack is going to get you better treatment in other countries is both ignorant and superior. I would think if anything it would get you worse treatment because coming into another country waving your flag is really kind of obnoxious.

moon over parma

« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2007, 08:33:24 PM »
as far as Canadians are concerned.  Damn right we don't want to be mistaken for Americans, not because they aren't good people, but simply because we aren't Americans.

But that's not the argument nor the point. That's spinning it away from the bone of contention:

Why the hositility? Why the insecuridty? Why the need to bash them? Why the offensive statement from earlier in the thread?

Canadians are a different kind of people with a different sense of identity (which isn't based on comparison with America).

Tht's a contradiction. Why else the flag waving in other nations? First hand experienc tells me it's to say, "I'm not American." I've yet to witness Canadians being offended at being mistaken for Brits, Kiwis, or Ozzies. I've also yet to meet one who explained the patch on their backpacks/jackets/shirts other than to tell the world, "I'm not American."

I personally don't appreciate your blanket statements about Canadians as I am sure you don't appreciate blanket statements about Americans.

I didn't  make "blankent statements" about Canada. I talked about experiences I had abroad, and had you read all of my posts you'd see I always went out of my way to point out the different experiences I had between the few bad apples abroad and experiences within the nation itself, and the contrast.

However, you did make a blanket statement about Americans and left it as a general truism. You've yet to address that point or even express regret about it.

I include most Americans in this state of non-awareness of provinces.  Within country, we do identify ourselves by province.

And abraod many - far too many, imo - do it by waving flags in people's faces. They're not Sir Edmond Hillary. There's no need to make any territorial claims. So why the jingoism?

I don't know anyone in Canada who identifies themselves in comparisons with Americans.

In Canada - that was my point. I never experienced rabid jingoism, insecurity, and outright hostility in Canada. However, a vocal minority seem to go abroad and export insecurity with an amped up jingoism that rivals the saber rattling of redneck and conservative crypto-fascist Americans.

Are Canadians anti-American?  Generally no, not anymore than many Americans are anti-American.

I agree with that statment. However, travels abroad lead me to wonder if many of the  jingoists are being exported. That's why I'm stymied. American uber jingoists tend to stay put. The U. K. - more of the same. However, my experiences abroad lead me to believe there is something odd about how many get exported. I'm struggling to understand why this phenomenon happens. I also don't say it's all Canadian expats. Not once have I said that. However, my experiences tell me it's an uncomfortable number. Far too high a number to make sense. Your comments earlier in the thread only added to that depresssing lump.

I'm also trying to understand how a government would finance a program whose sole existence is to belittle Americans to bolster Canadian identity, especially when such rehtoric isn't flowing from the mouths of many of its citizens in-country.

Most Canadians have little interest in their gigantic and powerful neighbour to the south other than as a tourist destination, a shopping experience, a sporting event host, or even as a place where we go to visit our extended family members.

And vice-versa. 

Lighten up, life's too short.  Have a beer (Raoul's paying).

jjjjjjjjjj
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 08:55:30 PM by moon over parma »

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2007, 08:45:19 PM »
I'd been under the impression that this issue was pretty much settled out and done. I sure hope so.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

moon over parma

« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2007, 10:27:50 PM »
I was chatting with a friend the other day about things we miss from Canada. 

One of the things on my list were the Molson Beer Commericals

Which ones? The "My Name Is Joe" ones (which perpetuated the "I do not live in an igloo" and "I do not speak American" myth that no sane American would sincerely believe), or the one where the American runs out of Molson and walks over a mountain into Canada to get more (complete with Irish band The Proclaimers' "500 Miles" in the background), or the hip, sexy young 20-somethings saying "I am proud to be a Canadian" as American punk band The Ramones' "Blitzkrieg Bop" (about Germany in WWII) plays in the background (it should be noted that Bud in the U. S. was using the same song in a racing commercial around the same time, and the only direct beer promotion the Ramones ever did while active was for Steel Reserve High-Intensity lager)? ahahahahah

I collect beer commercials (there's 18 hours of Beta-SP tapes full of 'em sitting next to me on a shelf, from 1960-the present; American, British, Ozzie, and Canadian). agagagagag

« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 10:43:04 PM by moon over parma »

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2007, 11:02:28 PM »
Don't forget the Hinterland, Who's Who commercials too, I grew up with those and was happy to see them revamped for the new generation.
I happen to like the I am Canadian commercials and let's not forget the Alexander Keith's guy but we won't talk about the actor's personal life.
Cheers to those both sides of the border agagagagag
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 11:04:24 PM by kcanuck »
I am still learning. Michelangelo

moon over parma

« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2007, 11:21:16 PM »
Don't forget the Hinterland, Who's Who commercials too, I grew up with those and was happy to see them revamped for the new generation.

I loved the SCTV spoof of them when the "network" was out of programming and ran "a day" of "CBC Programming." Their spoof of HWWwas pretty spot-on. On one of the recent DVD sets of SCTV they included one of the original HINTERLAND: WHO'S WHO shorts (as well as part of an epsiode of a program that inspired the late, great John Candy's "Gil Fischer's The Fishin' Musician" segments as well) so new generations can enoy the brilliance of SCTV's more Canadian-accented segments (though the HINTERLAND spoof was written by Americans: Joe & Paul Flaherty!)

Get your HINTERLAND on:
http://youtube.com/results?search_query=hinterland%20who%27s%20who&search=Search

« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 11:25:11 PM by moon over parma »

Vegemite

« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2007, 01:20:39 AM »
I collect beer commercials (there's 18 hours of Beta-SP tapes full of 'em sitting next to me on a shelf, from 1960-the present; American, British, Ozzie, and Canadian). agagagagag

What about good ol' Kiwi commercials?

moon over parma

« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2007, 01:48:35 AM »

I'm working on it! ;) I'm struggling to remember the name of a Kiwi brew, though.

Vegemite

« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2007, 05:32:13 AM »

I'm working on it! ;) I'm struggling to remember the name of a Kiwi brew, though.

So, any good Kiwi booze ads out there MoP?

moon over parma

« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2007, 06:02:40 AM »
This - which I believe may be a legitimate advert -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u85S2m5WUNg

Reminded me of this SNL advert from 13 years ago:
http://www.dailymotion.com/search/gay/video/53625

Which was taking the piss out of a Bud Light commercial of its time (same music, same cinematography, same set-up, but with one twist).

Funny stuff.

Vegemite

« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2007, 06:18:36 AM »
This - which I believe may be a legitimate advert -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u85S2m5WUNg

Oh, I'd forgotten about the ol' Speights' adverts - they were good. This one, and many more, is poking fun at the stereotype of the South Island farmer.