Do you cook at home?

• 53 replies
Re: Do you cook at home?
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2010, 06:20:28 PM »
IIRC, most recipes call for powdered milk; since I usually have milk at hand anyway, I just use that instead, and slightly reduce the amount of water called for.
Don't worry about making something that tastes like toly bread. You'll be fine. If you want to throw in some oatmeal and sliced apple, or some grated cheese and some green onion, or some dried fruit and crushed nuts/seeds, go ahead. Once you can make your own bread, it's all good.  ababababab

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2010, 10:28:46 PM »
Bread is flour, water, sugar salt and yeast. No powdered milk in the standard recipe. Chinese flour holds more water, need to add more than back home. Their flour is for steaming.

two cups of flour to about three quarters a cup of water to one desert spoon of sugar to one teaspoon of salt and one of yeast. Always needs more salt than most people think.

Double these measurements for most machines, I have one with two small loaves so I can make two different kinds of bread. I usually make one into spicy fruit loaf, the other plain. Best to add the extras after the first rise if you want the ingredients (like fruit or nuts) to not be minced up fine, at least in my machine. It beeps at that point for that reason.

The bread is not too good for toasting due to the amount of water the flour absorbs. I have to experiement more with types of flour see if there is one that works better.

Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2010, 05:58:49 PM »
Well, Mr.Nobody, I humbly disagree. I find that  if one uses luke-warm milk instead of water, the bread is  nicer. The flour here is not tremendous though.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2010, 07:20:30 PM »
Does anybody, or Nobody, know what they put into Chinese bread that makes it taste so terrible?   llllllllll  mmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmm

It can't be just sugar.  mmmmmmmmmm   However, when you buy bread that says low sugar or no sugar, it does taste like 'western' bread.   mmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmm
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2010, 02:40:28 AM »
Speaking of bread, is the Chinese bread made form wheat flour or rice flour? Can you buy wheat free bread in China? I ask because I have a wheat allergy and would like to know what to expect.  aaaaaaaaaa

If you think this tis too off topic, I can start a new thread.

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2010, 04:18:44 AM »
...China has Walmart? aqaqaqaqaq

Yes, Walmart is fairly widespread. I'm in Fuzhou, a provincial capital but a medium-sized city by Chinese standards, maybe two million in the city proper and six million if you count all suburbs. There are at least two Walmarts and one Sam's Club. The French chain Carrefour and the German Metro are also widespread; Fuzhou has at least one of each. In some places, there's the Japanese Jusco chain or Phillipino SM.

The Chinese branches of all these stores are naturally targeting the Chinese market and are not always remarkably useful for expats craving home goodies. In my experience, Walmart is the worst of the lot but still useful. Metro is the best but still not perfect.

Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2010, 06:06:53 AM »
I use a glass halogen oven type, rather than the fan forced "microwave" type. It's far better. I put up a lot of pics some time ago, including bread etc.
Do you remember what thread that was in? I can't find it.

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2011, 04:23:24 PM »
I don't recall the thread about halogen ovens, sorry. It was on a previous incarnation of Raoul's.

The bread here is made with wheat flour, but it's often a type that is happier with more water than the varieties used in the west. MOre for steaming. That's why it doesn't toast so well.

And I think they don't add enough salt to the no sugar bread either. And process it more like cake than like bread should be. That's why I make my own.

China is a terrible place for those with food allergies. They make no concessions.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

cobra

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2011, 07:44:42 PM »
I cook sometimes))) easy dishes mostly)))