entry/exit permits for kids born in China

• 33 replies

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: entry/exit permits for kids born in China
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 11:49:44 PM »
It truly is quite accurate:

If the child ever returns to China, they are treated as foreigners and will need the same documents you do. They'll need the foreign passport and a visa or residence permit; generally small children get visas/permits as sort of attachments to one of the parents' papers.

Remember: China does not allow dual citizenship. Once they get a foreign passport and leave the country, any identity as a Chinese citizen immediately ends...at least in theory.

Only exception would be if you didn't give your child a Western passport, and retained full Chinese citizenship for your child. And only a real fiend would do that... bibibibibi
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 12:18:39 AM »
That's good to know Brandex, it would suck to only find out that fine point too late after we're out of the country. 

Raoul are you saying that you can confirm what Brandex said, that the visa for the child can only be gotten in my home country, not in any other place? For example, I have a friend whose school got her daughter a entry/exit permit when she was first born, but it expires in August. Since she's moving away from the city where her daughter is born soon, she's thinking of bringing her daughter with her when she goes to Hong Kong next month so that she can get her daughter on a visa and not waste the entry/exit permit that her school got.

I'll be sure to ask the PSB in Kunming about it before we go all the way down there. When we went to the Beijing PSB today we told them we wanted to go traveling, not go home to my country, and they didn't mention anything about that being a problem, but that is a really important point to clarify.

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 01:37:43 AM »
Yes, it's true.

I already explained it.

But once here, you can change it to another kind easily.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 05:01:17 AM »
Yea I got that Mr. N. Your explanation was really helpful and got me on the right track. I was more wondering about Brandex's point re: having to go to one's own country, rather than any country with a Chinese embassy, in order to get the "visiting relatives" visa for the child. I know that all of you guys took your kids to your own home countries, but I wasn't sure if that was a requirement, or if that's just what you did. I was just sort of working on the assumption that a Chinese visa could be gotten from another country as well and didn't even consider they might want us to go to America first. We were planning on traveling abroad, but not on going to the US. It doesn't matter terribly to us, as we can always go somewhere else over the summer, but a beach on Thailand would have been nice. Oh well, either it will work out or it won't I guess, and there's always ... Hainan instead! aoaoaoaoao

Because TIFC and you never know, I'm going to have my husband call up the Kunming PSB tomorrow and see what they say just to double (triple?) check. I did find a very helpful website from them with the exact requirements, forms and documents needed, time frame, etc. for this entry/exit permit. To answer my own question from before (in case it should benefit anyone in the future), the permit is called, in Chinese, a 中华人民共和国出入境通行证.

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2009, 04:22:18 PM »
I've been having a slightly different experience.  I am married to a Chinese girl and we had our first child this year.  We applied for and received the child's US passport and Certificate of Birth Abroad.  We also went to the Shenzhen security bureau for the child's exit/entry permit.

The exit/entry permit is a nice 10 page or so book with the child's picture in it.  However, it is only valid for 3 months and is only a single exit / entry.  I was told I can take her out of China using this permit and bring her back to China using this permit.  Next time we want to travel, we have to re-apply for another single exit/entry, 3 month, 10 page exit/entry permit.  Ugh.

I was also told I could get her a China tourist visa to put in her US passport when we were in the US next.  We might be able to get a multi-entry 1-year visa.  But that means renewing it annually and each stay can only be 30 days (need to leave and come back monthly).  This is quite burdensome.

I have a Resident Permit tied to the office I work in.  I am told that the child, since her mother is Chinese and does not have a US green card, cannot get a dependent resident permit attached to me.  More ugh.

There does not seem to be a easy way to get her paperwork straight so she can come and go easily.

Yokie
"A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for."  Grace Hopper

"Procrastination: Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now." Larry Kersten

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »

I was also told I could get her a China tourist visa to put in her US passport when we were in the US next.  We might be able to get a multi-entry 1-year visa.  But that means renewing it annually and each stay can only be 30 days (need to leave and come back monthly).  This is quite burdensome.

I would double check on the 30 days each stay part. Immediate family members of Chinese people can get 1 year multi entry visas with no limit to the number of stays. I have such a visa, as do my two parents (who, obviously, aren't even related to my Chinese husband by blood, they're just his in-laws). It is called a "visiting relatives" (探亲 in Chinese) visa. I think Mr. N has one for his daughter too, from what I gathered in this thread.

We decided to put the whole traveling abroad thing off for awhile though, because it is rather troublesome and for now our child is ok to stay here since he's a default Chinese citizen, having never used his Chinese passport.

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2009, 08:18:05 PM »
I would double check on the 30 days each stay part. Immediate family members of Chinese people can get 1 year multi entry visas with no limit to the number of stays. It is called a "visiting relatives" (探亲 in Chinese) visa.

This would be awesome.  I did not this thing even existed.  Thanks .... did you get it in China or outside of China?  Renewable while in China or do we have to leave to renew?

Thanks for the info, feeling better already (but not much)

YK
"A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for."  Grace Hopper

"Procrastination: Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now." Larry Kersten

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2009, 09:36:01 PM »
Sorry to possibly pour cold water, but depending on where you live and your wife and child are registered it may not be as easy as Local Dialect's experience. Here in Chengdu I was told I should be able to get a one-year tourist visa renewed indefinitely by my husband's (he's the Chinese one) hometown PSB. But when we asked them the same question, the hometown PSB said maybe yes maybe no. As they are not the head PSB for that area I would have to apply to them and they would then refer it to the head PSB (500km away) and I might or might not have to go in person to see them. No guarantees was what they were saying.

Meanwhile our kids, who are on UK passports, could get 6 month tourist visa but non-renewable in theory, although Chengdu PSB said that it was entirely possible hometown PSB would give them a year and renew it. Again, no definite answers, no guarantees. What Chengdu then said was that our kids could get some kind of certification from the UK linking them to their father (birth certificate translated, then approved by some UK body then approved by Chinese embassy as far as I understand it), if they have this then they can get indefinite renewal of 1-year tourist visa for sure (although even this I'm inclined to think "no guarantees"). Oh, and this is only possible because my husband has UK equivalent of green card.

So what me and the kids have currently are 2-yr multi-entry tourist visas, valid for 180 days each stay so we have to leave country every 180 days, although this could be as simple as going across border to HK, turning around and immediately re-entering China.

I would speak again to your office as your child is a US citizen and as such they should be able to get her a dependant visa attached to you regardless of her mother's immigration status. Really if they relocated you to China this is something they should be dealing with.

Mr Nobody

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2009, 10:56:18 PM »
We have the same thing, for our Oz daughter. Multiple entry visiting rellies visa. 11 montsh costs 400CNY.

Edited in later: She was born in china, we have gone home and back, so now she is on an Oz passport.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 11:56:10 PM by Mr Nobody »

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2009, 11:09:39 PM »
Isn't this quite the headache .....

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2009, 11:23:12 PM »
That's a good point, you're on a work visa, so you should be able to get her a visa attached to your visa, sponsored by your school.

LSS, your kids were born in the UK, right? My son has a Chinese birth certificate written in Chinese, so that would be the link to their dad. Yokie says his kid was born in China too, so he should have the same thing. Although we haven't gone abroad yet, so my son doesn't have the visa, but we were told by the Beijing PSB when we went recently to ask about these things that it would be no problem getting our son the same kind of visa that I have when we do apply. It might be that you were running into problems because your kids were born in the UK and they won't accept UK documents unless they've been through official translation (when I got married in China I had to have my freaking passport translated by an official translation agency with a chop and all!).

But to answer your question Yokie, I got my visa in China, but my parents got theirs in America. It might well be easier getting it from the States, you could look into it next time you go. My parents got their 1 year visas simply by having a letter from my husband -- with his ID card number -- stating that they were his parents in law and that we would be responsible for them during their stay in China. They did it through a visa agency back home. I got my visa in Beijing -- although my husband has a Kunming hukou --  and it was a relatively easy and painless process as well.

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2009, 03:15:58 PM »
Thank you for the clarification.

We asked the security bureau about having my daughter get a visa similar to mine.  I have been here for about 6 years and am a "representative" of the office I work in.  So I get a resident permit in my passport.  It gets renewed annually.

We were told that since my wife (the mother of the my daughter) is Chinese and does not hold a green card or passport from another country, then they would not give my daughter a dependent visa tied to me.  Until she is 18 then she is allowed to decide.  I hope when we apply in the US things are different.  I'll keep you posted.  We go to the US in Sept.

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2009, 04:13:03 PM »
Another update:  the people who can help get visas for us in the US say I can get her a "visiting relative" visa which is basically a tourist visa with better options .... multi-year validity.  But either a 180day stay and single entry/exit or multi entry/exit and 90day stays.

Mr Nobody

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2009, 05:28:37 PM »
It seems reasonable to me that since she is visiting you, and that she is a dependant, then her visa should have the same duration as yours.

Of course, reason is nothing to go on in these matters, nor do rules, regs or anything else with any kind of regularity. Only when it's convenient for the guy 'making decisions' (although I use that expression lightly).

We got our daughter's visa changed from tourist visa to visiting relatives when we got here. My embassy tells me with the recent rule change and more stringent enforcement, this is no longer possible. (tourist visa to any other, business  visa to any other)

However, my FAO says no problem, and so does my wife, who actually gets our visas for us, not the uni, although she uses the uni's paperwork, of course. Daughter's visa didn't use any paperwork from my employer at all this time, although up until then we always have. Mrs N says it's simpler without the uni's paperwork for Little Miss N, although, of course, necessary for mine - but she says she is working on that too. Actually, she started getting my visas and daughter's visas processed before the regs came in about having to front up in person, simply because our FAO at the time was a lazy incompetent baijiu swilling butthead - although a nice guy, and treated me well, mostly by leaving me the hell alone.

In the process, she has learned a lot about the rules, but I can't understand it half the time. Her English is great, but my understanding and patience with trying to comprehend the intricate details of Chinese bureaucracy is virtually nil. I don't even like understanding my own, and I worked  for the DoD for several years as a bureaucrat.

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2009, 06:15:25 PM »
He he ..... it seems reasonable to me too .... the little bit I can understand is that they do not want to acknowledge citizenship from another country until the kid is 18 and they decide what to be .... which kinda makes sense but still .... you're right, it mostly depends on who you talk to and how they feel that day.     bqbqbqbqbq