Move to China??

• 21 replies

The Clan

• The Clan....hence the name.
Move to China??
« on: June 04, 2007, 09:21:54 PM »
So I have this crazy notion to pick up my family (wife 2 children) and move to China to teach English. I have done some research and found a position that seems promising, but there always seems to be fear of the unknown and Shuangyashan is completely unknown to me and my clan. We were hoping for a few comforting words before we bail on the USA. blblblblbl
GO BIG - OR GO HOME!!

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Re: Move to China??
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 10:05:04 PM »
So I have this crazy notion to pick up my family (wife 2 children) and move to China to teach English.

You are clearly insane. You should fit right in.

How old are the kids? What about their schooling, medical, dentists etc.? Is your wife also clinical? Your present job and returning? There are many couples here but children depending on their age could be a big decision. There's a lot to learn here. Crossing a road is an experience.

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 10:12:56 PM »
They can do home schooling if they so choose.  Our Assoc. Dean has 2 children here.  The one is in Chinese Kindergarten the other will be next year.  They are learning Chinese.

Crossing the street is an experience that can't be described adequately.  Looking both ways isn't enough. You look for cars coming on your left.  Step off the curb and get hit by a bicycle going the 'wrong' way.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 10:29:22 PM »
You can get hit by a car stepping onto the curb.

The Clan

• The Clan....hence the name.
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 10:42:05 PM »
I have a son who is 2 1/2 and a daughter who is almost 8 months. Too young. Would you do it. My wife is clearly as Psycho she is all for it, but what the hell right?
GO BIG - OR GO HOME!!

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 11:05:39 PM »
I'm here alone so take the opinion with a grain of salt. I'd be worried about medical care for the kids, so I would want to be in or very near the big cities that have Western doctors (with western prices) if they have any food alergies, that can tough here. It seems like a lot of people don't understand this. Safety is an issue. Not really from other people but things like massive holes in the ground, shoddy eletical wiring, poor lighting, traffic etc. but your kids are young enough that they have to watched all the time anyway so......

If the kids are healthy (no breathing problems etc - air pollution is rough) I'd say go for it but check out the medical conditions wherever you plan to go.

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 11:42:28 PM »
I say go for it.  Lots of people here from other countries with their kids.  They all seem to survive.  Yes medical could be a problem, but bring stuff like cough syrup etc with you. 
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

ihealy

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 11:57:27 PM »
HI, My wife and I are also investigating a move to china. We, howeve, do not have children. I have had a few friends over the years that have gone to china to teach and they have all enjoyed it, although the only ones I am still in contact with are still in china  and communicating with them is difficult.

I am wondering if anyone could give some advice about finding positions for couples adn if there are any recruiting agencies that anyone might suggest. I so far have been looking at a lot of websites and this was suggested as a good place to come with questions. Everywhere I go it seems like there are warnings about shady recruiters, but I don't know the good ones from the bad.

Anyway, any advice is appreciated, and we are totally new to all of this. We don't know anyone who has been that hasn't reccomended moving to china and I am 25 so we don't see a reason not to.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 12:05:21 AM »
Try your best to contact school directly first. Many, many schools are very happy to have married couples teaching. They consider you married lot more stable. Crippler, of course being the exception that proves the rule.

ihealy

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 12:16:40 AM »
So then I guess my question would be: "How do I find the right school?" I have friends in Kunming, but I hear the labor market is slow there for foreigners. My wife is finishing a degree in English writing, and I hold a degree in International Studies. I am a banker by trade, but am probably looking to teach as I don't really like sales anyway.

Would it be worth it to get a TEFL certificate?

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 12:24:42 AM »
Will you both be teaching? If your wife finishes her degree than it's not necessary to have TEFL but it doesn't hurt when looking for work not to mention the practice.

The pay scale in Kunming is lower. It's a favourite place for foreigners so there is more competition. Also it's a major tourist area of China so you get backpackers coming through taking some jobs.

You know it depends on what kind of place you want to go. Major city, little town?

AMonk

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 12:26:12 AM »
Hello Ihealy!  You might want to sneak a peek at the Teacher's Tips room (the two threads started by Moon Over Parma), and also the Saloon Links room.  They have some of the answers you're seeking.  And, of course, the folks here always have lots to input!

Welcome aboard.  Glad to see you getting your feet wet!
Moderation....in most things...

Nakeshia

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 12:43:33 AM »
I'm a single Mom and came here with my daughter when she was 2 1/2. She picked up the language quickly and it seemed an easy transition for her (well she still doesn't like Chinese food...) We are just 1 hour train ride from Shanghai and in the 5 years we've been here I've needed to bring her to a western doctor twice. I would also advise to be in close proximity to a large city with western facilities just in case. Otherwise I say go for it and good luck.

ihealy

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 12:44:32 AM »
well, yeah I think we will both be teaching, and I am not sure where we want to go. I think we would probably lie to start for the first year somewhere that isn't really rural (since neither of us speak mandarin)but also somewhere that isn't a GIANT city. I guess a medium-sized city by Chinese standards? We don't want to be in a super polluted environment either, although it sounds like a lot of china is that way. We are still trying to figure it all out really. I really don't even know how much money we need to start, or how much plane tickets cost. We live on the west coast of the United states.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 12:57:14 AM »
As Amonk mentioned ihealy, there is a lot of info on this site about the logistics of getting started. Don't forget that a mid-sized Chinese city is huge population wise. Have a read and if you can come up with some specific cities you're interested in then ask because someone here will know a bit about it. There are really almost too many cities to recommend cold. Now please excuse me because i must go get drunk, bitch and whine about my students and chat-up some teachers  err meet with my peers and discuss the progress of our students.