Translating name into Chinese....

• 52 replies
Translating name into Chinese....
« on: April 19, 2007, 11:22:54 PM »
I have a friend who needs to impress his boss. Boss is going to China and wants to know how to say his and his partners name in Chinese. He wants to learn how to write it too. Anyway, I have been asked to translate these names and have met with moderate success. That is, I found a page where there are some names translated into Chinese characters but not pinyin.
Now, would any of you know how to translate these names into Pinyin/charcters: Anders and Jurgen?
If you can, then beer is on me....indefinitely... agagagagag agagagagag bfbfbfbfbf

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: Translating name into Chinese....
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 02:52:46 AM »
Anders: an1 de3 si1  ???

Jurgen: you3 er3 gen1  ???

Beer: Guinness is fine. Or a good Irish porter.  bjbjbjbjbj

RATS! I forgot...we don't support Chinese characters here yet. Working on it. One of the many logs in Noles' fire. I have the names saved as GIF files and I can e-mail them to you...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 02:58:52 AM by Raoul Duke »
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 03:43:32 AM »
Raoul, thou art a God among men.  bjbjbjbjbj xiexie, hen cong ming lao ban.
 agagagagag agagagagag Barkeep, line up the drinks...
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

teleplayer

• Ni you hen duo xiao qian. Gei wo yidian(r)!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 12:38:51 PM »

RATS! I forgot...we don't support Chinese characters here yet. Working on it. One of the many logs in Noles' fire. I have the names saved as GIF files and I can e-mail them to you...

I'm glad Eric got this response from you. I forgot to ask for this.
Xiexie, Nin, Eric-the-pinkglasses-red  bfbfbfbfbf

AMonk

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 01:17:37 AM »
Query....

When you translate your name into Chinese, do you try for similar sounds as your Anglo name (and can't that get awkward with the Chinese meaning, sometimes)?
Or do you translate your name-definition into Chinese?  (e.g. Frank = Man; Peter = Rock; Brian = Strength; Amy = [be]Loved One; Laurel = Winner's Crown)
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 01:30:27 AM »
I think it is the former. As for as I know, my Chinese name is Mao Teng, which has no logical meaning in Chinese. It just vaguely sounds like Morten.

AMonk

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 01:42:21 AM »
OK.  But if I prefer for people (outside of family and close friends) to address me as MRS. MONK, will this be a problem?  I tend to favour the formalities over the familiarities in my day-to-day dealings......old-fashioned, British influence, doncha know.

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 04:43:33 AM »
Sure thing, Mrs. Monk.

I prefer to hailed as the Prince of Squirrels, Champion of Gerbils and Defender of Hamsters...sadly, no-one does address me in this manner.

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 04:44:42 AM »
I wonder why?
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

AMonk

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 05:20:34 AM »
Sure thing, Mrs. Monk.

But aren't you in the category of "family and close friends" ???oooooooooo

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 05:42:05 AM »
Some people go from sounds, some from meaning, some from sheer silliness (I'm still waiting to use "En De Wa" and "Feng Ki Tao"), some kind of at random. It's just a personal choice.

About the only time my Chinese name (Wang2 Ren2 Di4, a Sinicization of an alternate pseudonym, "Randy Wang") gets used is when I fill out forms and on my business cards. Many foreigners here don't use one at all. "Mrs. Monk" will be lovely.  bfbfbfbfbf
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

AMonk

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 05:46:12 AM »
Thank you for the clarification, Great One. 
Drinks (and Toasties) on my tab.  Barkeep!!  Set 'em up for the BossMan, please...

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 01:46:59 PM »
I got failed to pick one early and got a really stupid one assigned for my residence permit.  Finally picked out a better one a couple of weeks ago.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

George

• My view of China
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 01:55:41 PM »
"Mrs. Monk"
Ha! She'll be calling herself the "Head Friar" next. My Chinese name was given to me at my first school....Gao Shu...Gotta be careful how you say it!!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Vegemite

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 05:32:39 AM »
When I first arrived here I had a lot of people offering to give me a Chinese name but I found that weird as none of them really knew me. After a few months the offers died down and at the end of last year I was actually trying to work out the etiquette of asking for one. Then over Xmas my Chinese teacher was explaining to me the meaning of my name...I said but that's my English name, and she informed me that it wasn't, and explained patiently that 'everyone' knew me by my Chinese name.
The penny finally dropped, when I thought people were mis-pronouncing my name, they were actually calling me my Chinese name. Just add a tone and my name's already Chinese.