Milk Powder Ban List

• 100 replies

teleplayer

• Ni you hen duo xiao qian. Gei wo yidian(r)!
Re: Milk Powder Ban List
« Reply #90 on: October 01, 2008, 12:05:33 PM »
Well, there is a disturbing trend to feed livestock Melamine. I believe Teleplayer * mentioned this earlier in the thread.  yyyyyyyyyy

On the other hand, it is easy to blame animals for the follies of men, since animals cannot talk back. bibibibibi

*I think it was Teleplayer. If it was not: apologies to the poster who mentioned it.

I confess. I did. It was looked as as an addititve to livestock to be a non-protein source of Nitrogen. This was in the 50s. It has been stopped since it wasn't as good as cotton seed to do same.

I think it has been noted it isn't soluable so probably not the farmer. Though, there are too many of them diluting their milk. Evidence of that should be to pour it out right at the sales floor.

My friend from Shanghai and I sent baby formula to her lab mates in Shanghai today. A Chinese owned vitamin shop here that does a healthy internet business shipping vitamins to several countries including China is offering the service of shipping baby and elderly formula. http://www.dailyvita.com/. I'm sure there are other groups doing similar so some of you may want to contact folks in your home courntry/state. We found out through the local Chinese newspaper.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #91 on: October 01, 2008, 12:45:23 PM »
Oh man, now we're in trouble.  The herds of melamine addicted cows will find out that we're onto their evil bovine conspiracy and will retaliate.

I think I hear the sound of many hooves heading this way.   oooooooooo

As for the PETA nutcases, I have only one question - Ff God didn't want me to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?   ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2010, 10:31:08 AM »
Bumping this back up. Last night the BBC was running news that new reports of melamine contamination in milk powder and products are surfacing; 3 heads of major dairy companies are going on trial in Shanghai. This is OVER A YEAR since the previous melamine scandal... llllllllll
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2010, 12:34:32 PM »
Again!?!?!  asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas

I think it's about time for some very public and very painful executions.  Tie up those responsible and let the parents of some of the victims have a go at them.  Issue each parent a rusty spoon.
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #94 on: January 07, 2010, 06:44:17 PM »
Again!?!  My baby's turning a year old on the 22nd!  Guess she won't be graduating to cow's milk with her first birthday.  ananananan But it makes me glad we never introduced her to formula  agagagagag

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2010, 10:25:46 AM »
Jeez, this thing never ends... llllllllll

China finds 170 more tons of tainted milk powder
By CARA ANNA, Associated Press Writer – 2 hrs 53 mins ago

BEIJING
The discovery has punched a 170-ton hole in China's promises to overhaul its food safety system. Officials say they've found yet another case where large amounts of tainted milk powder from the country's 2008 scandal that should have been destroyed were instead repackaged.

China ordered tens of thousands of milk products laced with an industrial chemical burned or buried after more than 300,000 children were sickened and at least six died from the contamination. But, crucially, the government did not carry out the eradication itself, and this month an emergency crackdown has made it clear that tons of compromised products are still on the market.

Tainted dairy has recently been found in China's largest city, Shanghai, and in the provinces of Shaanxi, Shandong, Liaoning, Guizhou, Jilin and Hebei. At least five companies are suspected of reselling tainted products that should have been destroyed, the Health Ministry said last week. The problem products uncovered in the 10-day emergency crackdown have so far been limited to the domestic market.

The campaign is set to end Wednesday, and it's not clear whether it will be extended. The country's biggest holiday, the Lunar New Year, starts this weekend, and already some offices are closing and millions of people are going on vacation.

The Health Ministry has not commented since the crackdown began, and the China Dairy Association has remained quiet as well.

"The problem is, this is a product with a shelf life of several years. It's very important that the product is not left unattended," said Dr. Peter Ben Embarek, a WHO senior scientist on food safety based in Beijing. "There's always a risk it will find a way back into the system."

The latest discovery underscores the difficulties of policing China's smaller food producers, despite a sweeping new food safety law that took effect last summer and promised stricter quality controls after the 2008 scandal, which was China's worst food safety crisis in years.

In the wake of that crisis, China punished dozens of officials, dairy executives and farmers, even executing a dairy farmer and a milk salesman. But the government didn't destroy seized products itself. Instead, it issued guidelines on how to destroy them, suggesting they be burned in large-capacity incinerators or that small amounts be buried in landfills.

In the southern city of Guangzhou, however, the local government did take over disposal after one garbage company poured tainted milk into a city river.

China's new food safety law places even more responsibility on food producers to ensure their products are safe, including introducing tough new penalties for makers of unsafe products.

On Monday, with the announcement that more products contaminated by the industrial chemical melmine had been found, it appeared the new regulations had failed again. Officials issued a recall for more than 170 tons of milk powder tainted by the industrial chemical melamine and closed two dairy companies in the northern region of Ningxia, the China Daily newspaper reported.

The report said officials have already seized 72 tons of the powder but were still looking for the rest, which had been sold by the Ningxia Tiantian Dairy Co. Ltd. to five factories in the neighboring region of Inner Mongolia and the bustling southern provinces of Guangdong and Fujian.

The report said the tainted powder should have been destroyed in the 2008 scandal, but that an unnamed company gave it to Ningxia Tiantian as a debt payment.

Zhao Shuming, secretary-general of the Ningxia Dairy Industry Association, told the China Daily that said Ningxia Tiantian appears to have been unaware the product contained melamine but should have known that the repackaging itself, which usually involves changing production and sell-by dates, was illegal.

Zhao told the paper that many small dairies, including Ningxia Tiantian, don't have the technology to even test for melamine. When watered-down milk is laced with the chemical, it appears to still be rich in protein in quality tests that measure nitrogen, found in both the melamine and protein.

"Flaws in the previous system led to the current chaos. What if companies with tainted milk also hold back their stocks for this round of checkups and reuse them later, just like what's happening now?" the newspaper quoted him as saying.

Zhao spoke more carefully Monday, telling the AP, "We have strict checks, and our client companies have strict checks, too."

Ningxia Tiantian has been shut down, and a second company, Ningxia Panda Dairy Co. Ltd., was also ordered closed because of ties to a Shanghai dairy found with tainted goods last year, the report said.

Online Chinese chat rooms were buzzing Monday over the latest tainted milk finding, with many asking "Why are these things happening again?"

But a large-scale drop in consumer confidence that happened in the 2008 scandal isn't likely this time, said Cindy Yang, a dairy analyst for the Netherlands-based Rabobank Group in Shanghai.

"These companies are quite small ones," she said Monday, adding that China's largest dairies put stricter safety measures in place after feeling the bite of bad publicity — and raised prices 20 to 30 percent to pay for the better quality.

"You can't say that because of these cases, there's no trust in the whole market," she said.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2010, 02:04:38 PM »
Makes me very glad we can afford to buy imported milk and even gladder than I personally import formula for my baby, seems like a necessary expense in this land of the corrupt kkkkkkkkkk bibibibibi llllllllll

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2010, 04:35:13 PM »
same here! I'm so glad we have access to organic dairy products in Beijing. I get my weekly milk delivery from Green Yard farm whose staff goes beyond the normal call of duty to make sure their products are safe and clean.

real milk that dies after a week tastes so much better than the stuff that lasts for a year in a closet.  bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2010, 05:28:46 PM »
I would love to buy fresh organic milk in Chengdy but can't find any that we can afford - local milk (with melamine???) around 6rmb per litre, imported UHT milk 14-20rmb per litre, Chinese organic milk (non-UHT) 30-40rmb per litre. Back home I would never drink UHT milk but here I have little choice.

We can get organic veg, eggs and meat direct from an organic farm but that stuff is also very expensive - a free range egg (tuji) from the market costs around 1rmb compared to 3rmb per egg from the organic farm. We go through about 2dozen eggs a week so it would cost us an extra 200rmb per month to eat truly organic eggs! On the whole organic food is at least three times as expensive as market food (and even more than Carrefour which is the cheapest place to buy veg in town, except the quality is questionable)  aoaoaoaoao

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2011, 09:51:06 PM »
OK, this story is becoming The Thing That Will Not Die...

China on alert for leather protein in milk supply
By ALEXA OLESEN, Associated Press – 1 hr 48 mins ago
BEIJING –
China has warned dairy producers that inspectors are on alert for fresh milk tainted with the industrial chemical melamine and another toxic substance extracted from leather scraps.

Both additives — melamine and hydrolyzed leather protein — would make dairy products made with watered-down milk appear to have normal amounts of protein. Infant formula tainted with melamine killed six children in China in 2008 and sickened more than 300,000.

The Ministry of Agriculture said in a undated notice posted to the website of the State Council, China's Cabinet, that authorities will carry out 6,450 random checks on fresh milk this year — underscoring official concerns that dairy producers may still be trying to use illegal and dangerous methods to boost the protein content of their milk.

All the tests will check for melamine and 30 percent will look for hydrolyzed leather protein.

In March 2009, the Chenyuan Dairy Company in central China's Zhejiang province was shut down by authorities after leather protein was found in its products, the official China Daily newspaper reported Friday. It didn't say if anyone was sickened in that case.

Peter Leedham, a China-based food testing executive, said leather protein emerged as a dairy additive in the wake of the deadly melamine scandal.

"When the melamine issue broke and everybody started being able to detect melamine in milk, unscrupulous producers tried to find an alternative way, something that supplemented the protein in milk, so what they used, very cleverly, was the hydrolyzate of bovine leather," Leedham said. "Because it's actually protein and derived from a cow, it's almost impossible to detect as an additive."

Leedham, the managing director of Eurofins Technology Service in Suzhou, a city close to Shanghai, said it's not clear how widespread the problem is.

To find out if the substance has been added to dairy, authorities look for telltale leather-curing residues. The protein extracted from cow leather is not known to be dangerous to human health, but the curing chemicals are, Leedham said.

The China Daily newspaper said the chemicals could be fatal for children in high does and put adults at risk for osteoporosis.

The Ministry of Agriculture said in a statement posted to its website on Thursday that spot checks on 7,406 batches of fresh milk last year were all free of melamine and signs of leather protein.

But powdered, rather than fresh milk, has been the main source of melamine contamination. Last year China seized 2,132 tons of melamine-tainted milk powder that was manufactured in 2008 or earlier.

China ordered all contaminated dairy, including infant formula, yogurt and other products, burned or buried, but the government did not carry out the destruction itself. Some people apparently stockpiled the tainted products.

Leedham said leather protein was also more likely to show up in milk powder and other processed dairy than in raw milk.

"I would have thought that the adulteration, if it happens, would happen in the processing later on," he said. "If it's going to be used as a fraudulent way of increasing protein levels, then the big benefits would be in the food processing downstream and it would be much easier to add hydrolyzed protein to a powder mix than to liquid milk."

He also said 6,450 tests in one year didn't seem sufficient for a country China's size.

Associated Press researcher Zhao Liang contributed to this report.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2011, 06:19:39 PM »
1000 checks per year would be more than sufficient - if the penalty for adding these contaminants or knowingly distributing tainted milk was an immediate death sentence.
EscapedLunatic.com