Apart from the Gong'ed incident, anyone have experience with Chinese police?

• 19 replies
Hi all,

This is going to seem like a VERY awkward and random post but this happened to my nephew a week ago and I thought I might ask some people here.

Basically, this girl accused him of sexual harassment and the girl tried to bring police to meet him in a public place. However, for some reason the Chinese police wouldn't step into the mall where my nephew was waiting (he was scared too). The girl tried to trick him into going out but he was scared and left.

So I'm here thinking...that wasn't the police was it? Because if it were...wouldn't they just go into the mall and arrest the guy or at least confront him in there?

Please let me know if I'm being too naive or something...hah.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 02:49:19 AM by Isidnar »

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Policemen can legally go into the mall or his apartment if they want to arrest him.

The malls have cameras.

rattie

I didn't understand that post at all,
who harassed who? What???
R

'Police' is a tricky concept in China. When the Uni wants students to direct people towards somewhere, it will give them something that says Police on it.

You have the Peoples armed Police, and they're actually the only ones that i really regard as Police.

Then you have the Chengguan.  They're more like inspection officials. Sure, they have powers, like all officials do, but maybe they might not have jurisdiction inside the mall.

I honestly don't know. I sort of think that if they have the gold, blue and red badge on their sleeve, they're real Police. Chenguan all have local badges. I've never had trouble telling them apart. I'd be surprised if Chenguan got mixed up in dealing with foreigners unless they had to. In fact i've always assumed they've been told to keep the hell away from foreigners if they can.

Is there some colour thing with the uniforms as well. Chenguan tend to be in vlue, even if a very dark clue, whereas the real police have that olive green thing going on.

Anyway, as stil says, the cameras in the mall were probably what was putting them off. If the girl really thought that she had a case, she'd probably have gone to the real police. With the cameras in the mall, the Police would have had no real problem tracking down your nephew. I'm sure the Police are quite happy to deal with foreigners who really do misbehave, but I'm equally sure they're wary of people making things up to try to extort money, which obviously does happen.

If the alledged harrassment didn't take place in a mall or a place with witnesss or cameras, then  there's a good chance that this will go no further.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 02:32:43 PM by Just Like Mr Benn »

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
That's odd.  I've met quite a few in very dark blue (almost black) inside the bureau of naughty foreigner monitoring.  I think the ones in green may be a different division (perhaps the ones in green have direct access to something a bit more effective than billy clubs???).
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

AMonk

I didn't understand that post at all,
who harassed who? What???
R

Nephew has girlfriend-from-Hell, who is accusing him of sexual harassment.

Nephew goes to shopping mall.

Girlfriend-from-Hell arranges for "police" (friends wearing uniforms?) to go with her to confront (?!?) Nephew.
"Police" won't go into mall (most likely because of cameras which would record any "action").
Nephew refuses to exit mall to speak with gf-f-H or "cops".

Total stalemate situation.
Moderation....in most things...

That's odd.  I've met quite a few in very dark blue (almost black) inside the bureau of naughty foreigner monitoring.  I think the ones in green may be a different division (perhaps the ones in green have direct access to something a bit more effective than billy clubs???).

I wanted to make it clear in my post that I didn't really know what i was talking about. I was just saying what i'd always assumed to be the case. I would have thought that there was something between the PAP (Armed police) and the Chenguan. For the record, I very rarely know what the hell i'm talking about. If I had any actual knowledge about anything, i'd put it in a book and make you all pay to be in the circle of knowledge.

If anyone knows what the situation with Police is, I would be glad to know.

I'd particularly like to know (with regard to a novel i'm writing) which police forces / divisions have women, and what their repsonsibilities are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_enforcement_in_China

RE: the OP case...

Basically, this girl accused him of sexual harassment and the girl tried to bring police to meet him in a public place.

Waay too little info... random girl, girl he was hitting on, hookup girl, girl he's dating, girl he's living with, girl who is a woman?

China is no place for nephews.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 02:51:02 AM by Isidnar »

China is no place for nephews.

Why not?

I presume the nephew in question has reached the age of majority.

This will become a more interesting thread if the guy sexually harrassing his Chinese girlfriend is 12 years old. And I know, i know, innocent until proven not Chinese.

Nephews are people you have to explain things to. They're people you have to act like when they're around. They're "family" in a country where having unmixed family isolates you even more than being on your own. Nephews are young men.

Which is to say, we don't know who is in the wrong here. This kinda sounds like the new tea house/art/practice-English-with-me scam, but it may just be a bad case of the nephews.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 03:01:55 AM by Isidnar »

Well, I may be making things up, but it seems like non-Chinese family in country means you can't be the foreigner who avoids other foreigners. The accommodations you might normally put on to be whoever you are in China seem like they might necessarily conflict with whoever you are when dealing with family. The family self, the China self, the authentic self - how often are they the same person?

« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 03:01:30 AM by Isidnar »