CV Writing

• 23 replies

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: CV Writing
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 12:42:53 PM »
One other note, since a lot of people in these threads are new...
In the areas marked On-Topic, we ask that you stick pretty much to the main topic at hand. If you want to take a topic off on a tangent, that's fine...just start a new thread about it. The hope is that people can come here and read on an advertised topic and not get sidetracked into a lot of other discussions in the process.

bjbjbjbjbj
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 12:56:17 PM »
If you have done any tutoring or training of new people in your company or as a student, put that in your CV, near the top.  I would still do the best I could to make my CV look professional and as relevant as possible.

Times are a'changing, and the financial crisis has had an impact on universities, if that's an area you are looking at.

Last night, at the P/G English major graduation dinner, the Dean of the Humanities Dep't announced that next semester, due to the financial crisis and the university wanting to keep it's HIGH graduate employment stats, only 40 English majors would be recruited.  This is a 50% DROP in freshman recruitment.  If one university is doing this - how many more?  And logically it will have a flow on effect in teacher requirements.

Don't forget, FTs are way more expensive than local teachers.

You will still get plenty of offers, but maybe not as many as would have happened previously, and they may be a little more discerning given the number of applications from people around the world who are finding it hard to get work back home.  Friends who have been in China for 10 years on and off returned home last semester to a dead job market, so they too are on their way back, and looking for work here.  These examples can't possibly be isolated given the current situation.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 03:29:48 PM »
I think Lotus is on the nosey.
The economic crunch is hitting China, too, and in some areas, such as the export-heavy zones of Guangdong, it's as bad or worse than at home.

The market for native-speaking (or at least white) English teachers in China is unimaginably vast, and there's still going to be a lot of work...I think the ease of finding a job has gone from "embarrassingly easy" to "pretty easy". The competition levels for jobs (especially GOOD jobs) is going to be higher, though, and anything truthful you can put on your resume to enhance your position should be on there.

But I wouldn't overdo the worry just yet. If you have a 4-year college degree, it's still a pretty safe bet that you can find a job somewhere in China.

This is kind of a veer in the topic, so I'm going to repeat this in a new thread like a good boy. bjbjbjbjbj
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 12:37:01 AM »
Hey all, resurecting this thread :-)

I have never really 'gone for an interview' as such (sad that I have made it through 31 years and avoided it like the plague)

However, I do have a resume, it basically state my education, work experieince  and hobbies  if I add a firt aid cert and Dip TEFL ....am I gonna need to use some padding out???

I forgot...I have spent the last 10 years (on and off) helping my parents to run their business...does that count as managment experience????
Attitude counts for EVERYTHING

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 12:43:03 AM »

However, I do have a resume, it basically state my education, work experieince  and hobbies  if I add a firt aid cert and Dip TEFL ....am I gonna need to use some padding out???

Resume will be fine. You could add your picture as part of it so you won't have to send two files.

Bra size is probably ok for China too.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 01:07:34 AM by Stil »

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 12:48:56 AM »

Resume will be fine. You put your picture as part of it so won't have to send two files.

Bra size is probably ok for China too.
[/quote]

ommmaaaaaahhh!!!!! Though maybe they'll work in my favour for once! ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah
Attitude counts for EVERYTHING

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2009, 01:06:26 AM »

ommmaaaaaahhh!!!!! Though maybe they'll work in my favour for once! ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah

Stop being so selfish. Hopefully they'll work in everyone's favour

Foscolo

• Boom boom!
    • ELTpublishing
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2009, 01:03:44 PM »
What are your design skills like? An immaculately laid-out CV with a nice design-style and appealing photo can make a much better impression than an uninviting block of amateurishly presented text, regardless of the content. These things shouldn't matter, but all too often they do, particularly if the prospective employer is lazily, easily swayed by appearences and doesn't know much about the difference between one qualification and another. So obviously that rules out all employers in China...
Free stuff for teaching English with jokes: ESLjokes.net.

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2009, 03:23:23 PM »
My current uni asked for my cv to be translated, or at least the high points of it.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.