Keeping warm: what temp do you set your aircon in winter?

• 9 replies
Keeping warm: what temp do you set your aircon in winter?
« on: January 27, 2018, 11:58:44 PM »
Say it's freezing outside - snow on the ground, forecast says below 0 celsius - and you don't have central heating, but you do have aircon. What temp do you set?

22 degrees?

No double-glazing, btw. Poor window seals. Metal doors. No insulation in the walls or the ceiling. The apartments are built for for tropical summers. The winter usually only gives you a week or two at most of super low temps so.....

I don't know if I'm doing this right. I worry about overheating an apartment and potentially blowing a fuse or breaking something in the aircon itself or just using way too much electricity. Don't know how to calibrate my concerns.  ananananan
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
Re: Keeping warm: what temp do you set your aircon in winter?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 12:57:47 AM »
It's currently -5 C and snowing. I run both (bedroom and living room) my wall-mounts at 'max': 30 C with the fans on high. They're keeping my apartment at 23.7 C. I do have to be careful not to turn on ALL my other electrical appliances of the breaker will trip.
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 01:50:46 AM »
I have one at 22 and one at 18, which isn't enough really unless I'm moving around. Sitting still I'll have a blowing heater pointed at my feet as well. Blowing heater can in fact replace the aircon if the room is closed and I'm sitting in the one place for some time, as one is want to do when there's a computer in the house.

But for the last week or so temps have been what I usually expect this time of year, below zero mostly only at night. Yesterday was a snow day though. Daytime temp was -1. Today got down to -3. But at least one weather forecast is saying over the next few days I'll be looking at nighttime temps of -10....  aoaoaoaoao

I remember very damn clearly that one time last winter when the power went out. There was snow on the ground and poof, lights out sometime around midday. Temperature in the apartment plummeted. I added layers of clothes, got under a new quilt, one of those cotton wadding things that left fluff everywhere, and began to... well actually, get quite comfortable. My hands hurt from the cold but the rest of me dozed in splendour. I do not want to do that again.

So I worry about blowing fuses. I also worry about all the new electricity infrastructure they put in this last summer, the same infrastructure that's been going on and off for weeks.......... although not recently. I worry mostly that as soon as it gets properly cold, everyone else will power up their houses and bang goes the grid.

I need to go live further south

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 06:45:36 AM »
in Beijing, we have central heating.. at home, it's all set at 18 degrees.

In the restaurant however, where I also have central heating, I'm running two gigantic units blowing at 27 degrees at all times.
It's barely enough to keep people comfortable
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 08:54:48 PM »
While my uni gives me an allowance for electricity, I don't have an electric bill... so the heaters are 'cranked' (I think I'm personally responsible for 1/2 of a degree of global warming).  ahahahahah
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 07:37:27 PM »
Have the big one in the living/dining area set to 20.  I think I'm going to file a complaint with the weather control people.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Tree

• This personal text is false.
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 09:31:09 PM »
22 when I'm not home, 24 when I am. Works for me!
The greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.
- Jung

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 09:48:40 PM »
What freaks me out about the super cold weather is the thought someone somewhere will discover some clever and important reason to turn the electricity off. There'd been a lot of that kind of clever importance happening this last autumn and one had begun to imagine dire outcomes. And there's still time...

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 07:24:13 PM »
What freaks me out about the super cold weather is the thought someone somewhere will discover some clever and important reason to turn the electricity off. There'd been a lot of that kind of clever importance happening this last autumn and one had begun to imagine dire outcomes. And there's still time...

That's when you buy some coal and burn it in the middle of the room.  You'll be nice and comfy as the fumes slowly but inevitably prevent you from ever caring about the temperature ever again. uuuuuuuuuu

Or, stockpile enough blanket and jackets to survive a week without electricity.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 11:44:16 PM »
Ha  ha... I'm retired on Phu Quoc where it's currently 85F/29C... and I'm using aircon.  ahahahahah

I noticed flying down here that Guangzhou (where I transferred planes) was effin' COLD. I was glad I hadn't packed my down parka in my checked luggage before leaving Zhengzhou.