• Home
  • Search
    •  
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Shipping personal belongings out of China  (Read 100 times)

Calach Pfeffer

• Barfly
Shipping personal belongings out of China
« on: November 30, 2017, 11:31:59 AM »
Any recommendations?

In the past when I've moved on I've usually just rolled out with whatever I could carry (and learned year after year: bags with wheels, bro, bags with wheels). But this time around I have stuff and I'll probably want it back in Oz. Clothing mostly. But also books and papers. And some hardware that I might not want to sell (mostly the lcd monitor).

Is Seven Seas still the go-to company? How does it work? Any illuminating anecdotes on the joys and successes of sending goods from third tier cities on to the rest or Asia and the world?
There is little in history to support the proposition that China was indeed the centre of the Asian universe commanding deference among less civilised states around its periphery...

Escaped Lunatic

• Global Moderator
  • Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: Shipping personal belongings out of China
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 03:39:20 AM »
Buy a boat and hire a crew of cutthroats.

Make sure the boat has cargo space for your stuff, as well as whatever you may happen to acquire from passing vessels. bzbzbzbzbz
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!
EscapedLunatic.com

Tree

• Barfly
  • This personal text is false.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 04:08:00 PM »
We are looking into this as well after half a decade here. I'll keep you posted if we find something good.
The greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.
- Jung

china-matt

• Barfly
    • Booze, Food, Travel
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 07:59:44 PM »
Really depends how much stuff you have and where in China you live. I shipped a few boxes of stuff back years ago with DHL (or an unofficial DHL reseller anyway). Living in Shenzhen made it easier as the packages could be driven across the border to HK and shipped from there. You can definitely ship smaller batches of stuff with China Post though.
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

cruisemonkey

• Barfly
  • You could be next.
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 10:22:09 PM »
I'd like to know too... as I'm leaving China and retiring to Vietnam. The trouble is, I don't have a permanent address in Vietnam. My first four weeks are at a resort on Phu Quoc, after that I don't know. If I can find a nice place to rent, I might stay there... or move on to Vung Tau.

P.S. DHL can't deliver stuff to China. I have a HP laptop computer I bought in Canada (ironically made in China). There was a power cord recall and HP sent me a free replacement cord from The U.S. via DHL. When it got to Shanghai, DHL 'passed on' the delivery to a Chinese courier company (I forget the name). It was a traceable shipment. I watched as it got closer and closer to me outside of Zhengzhou (and was probably within 1 km) when they sent it back to Shanghai and "successfully" delivered it. Their own tracking system showed it was delivered to the wrong address in the wrong city in the wrong province... the only thing right was that it was delivered in 'China'! HP referred me to DHL. DHL referred me to the Chinese company. The Chinese complany couldn't understand why I was complaining because it was "successfully delivered". After two months, I gave up... idiots!
 llllllllll
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

Calach Pfeffer

• Barfly
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 05:56:31 AM »
All I know so far is last semester a couple shipped out of here and used Seven Seas (or at least left behind a pair of large Seven Seas branded cardboard container boxes). They sent two years worth of stuff to Spain. Presumably one could, for a fee, have the shipping company warehouse your boxes for a set period of time.

Last time I actually did move inside China, I lost hardware. A monitor wrapped up in the original box - and, crucially, not boxed up with everything else - disappeared from the courier depot probably before everything else even left Suzhou. The only lesson I learned there is either box and seal your own stuff (which I'm not sure you're allowed to do) or be there while the "professionals" box and seal it for you, I guess.

Or hire a better crew of cutthroats
There is little in history to support the proposition that China was indeed the centre of the Asian universe commanding deference among less civilised states around its periphery...