One-To-One Tutoring Training?

• 6 replies

Ivyman

One-To-One Tutoring Training?
« on: June 09, 2017, 04:53:13 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I just think I got a job that is suited to my personality.  I am a live-in residential tutor for a family.  I will tutor in the afternoon and evenings for other clients.

While I am enthusiastic about it, I realize I have little formal training.  Even my CELTA, etc. seems off:

Can any of you recommend books, courses, keywords, online learning management programs, etc.?

(I know I asked a similar question in the past; but, I simply want any more logical answers, etc.)

AMonk

Re: One-To-One Tutoring Training?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 12:35:38 AM »
... I am a live-in residential tutor for a family.  I will tutor in the afternoon and evenings for other clients.

Not to be a wet blanket, but this sounds an awful lot like a number of scams that I've seen.  Are you certain that :-
1.  It's for real, on the up-and-up
2.  You will remain legal - with proper Visa, Residence Permit, etc
3.  Pay is commensurate, and will be paid on-time, every time?

I do NOT want you to become another "former-laowai-with-a-war-story" :wtf:
Moderation....in most things...

Ivyman

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 03:07:24 AM »
Yes, I'm living with the family right now.  We have a housecleaner.

My question was concerning how do I best teach.  Any insight?

old34

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 08:43:04 AM »
We have a housecleaner.

My question was concerning how do I best teach.  Any insight?

You're the I[size=78%]vy league grad and been playing that card for a few years and positions now while bouncing around China. And you still haven't figured out how to teach? Maybe ask the housecleaner. She's prolly more clued in than you.[/size]
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Ivyman

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 09:01:36 PM »
I never said an Ivy League degree was valuable.  It is only the Chinese, who have never even left China but want face, that value it as so valuable.

I just want to find better ways to do things.  Sorry if asking for advice makes me look needy, etc. 

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 01:18:51 AM »
Yeah seriously Ivyman (your handle says it too) you seem to have posted an awful lot of weird posts looking for jobs.Now you have one. So give it a shot, man.  bjbjbjbjbj
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

Ivyman

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 06:16:09 PM »
Thanks.  I'm not trying to be weird, I guess I am just trying to find my way in what appears a confusion world to me.

I do think China has so much opportunity.  They value education and finally have the money to pay.  It's getting them to trust Western teachers, work well with them, have integrity, etc. that is hard for them (and probably the rest of the world).