Crime Stats: China? (Burglary)

• 2 replies
Crime Stats: China? (Burglary)
« on: May 05, 2017, 01:41:00 AM »
http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/China/United-States/Crime#2015

But like, how much crime is there, really? I'm wondering specifically about burglary. I'm aware of break ins on my own campus. The bars on the windows were originally a response to thefts from the first and, I think third, floors. I'm also aware that since the introduction of the cages for the windows, there has still been break ins. A Veep had his house "stolen" in another building, and it occurred when the family was away on vacation. I don't know how or exactly when the break in occurred. (I just got the horrified gossip one sunny day while complaining about window bars.)

Thing is, I'm considering removing the bars on at least one window. I'll try thinking of ways to secure a pair of completely insecure sliding windows, of course, but as they stand they're only secured when they're closed and locked. What about summer, then? And, more generally, what about actual crime rates?

Anyone know?
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: Crime Stats: China? (Burglary)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 08:13:25 PM »
Wow.  Didn't realize just how much safer I am in China.  On the other hand, I have the feeling Chinese are less likely to report smaller crimes, so some of the stats may be off a little.

Calach, if you take off the bars, aren't you worried about the pigeons taking advantage of the situation?

If you've got a way to drill into the window frames, some sort of screw or pin could be used to lock the windows and limit how widely they can be opened.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Re: Crime Stats: China? (Burglary)
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 09:05:49 PM »
These particular windows both slide left to right. They're secure only when closed and latched together in the middle. Ideally I want them open (both pushed left or both pushed right), particularly in summer, for ventilation. Can get a cross breeze going. Only technically needed during the day and could be closed up at night. Thing is, will having exactly one set of unbarred windows in a building of cliffside cages be, as John Wayne Gacy might say, an invitation?

I was in this apartment for a few years before the bars went up, and nothing happened to me..... But then, I suppose crime is something that happens to other people until it happens to you.

Bars on windows, man. It's an entirely weird condemnation of a society - either because of the crime or because of what homeowners can be tricked into.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0