• Home
  • Search
    •  
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: How Would I Volunteer at a Beijing High School?  (Read 812 times)

Ivyman

How Would I Volunteer at a Beijing High School?
« on: April 26, 2017, 04:11:17 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Is there any way to volunteer as a teacher or counselor at a Beijing High School?

I ask this because I see the college admissions counseling is junk.  I'd rather work for low cost or free at a high school, get the visa, etc. than work long hours for a crooked agency.

I could always do other work online, paid from other countries, to supplement a meager income.  I just want to work with the right people.

old34

• Barfly
Re: How Would I Volunteer at a Beijing High School?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 08:04:13 PM »
 awawawawaw bibibibibi
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

cruisemonkey

• Barfly
  • You could be next.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 11:24:03 PM »
If you want to pretend you're making a difference, why not pay to volunteer and go to Cambodia spending a month with all the recently graduated white girls on their gap year who 'teach' English for an hour a day and four hours a day learning masonry skills building a school for a private, 'for profit' company? You can then plaster your FB page with pictures of all your 'good deed' adventures.

Who's 'sock' are you?
 mmmmmmmmmm
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 11:53:10 PM by cruisemonkey »
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

CWL

• Barfly
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 12:05:22 AM »
Better yet, plaster your F_ _ _ book page with pictures of all your "bad deed" adventures with those gap year girls. 

Actually, it appears that gapyeargirls.com is available.  Huh, maybe there is a way to make working non-profit for-profit.  ahahahahah

Tree

• Barfly
  • This personal text is false.
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 06:23:35 AM »
Not sure where to begin Ivyman....

1) College counseling is a business here, and businesses have one goal. Dunno what you are looking for otherwise.

2) Hiring season is on right about now, perhaps winding down. Why not just get a job at one of these high schools? AFAIK volunteer work isn't advisable under our visa stipulations.

3) Seems like you are bouncing around a lot, looking for something/someone to show you the way. Good on you for trying hard, but throwing shit at a wall and hoping it will stick only gets you so far. Do some introspection and make sure you have a detailed goal, otherwise this country/industry will use you up.
The greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.
- Jung

Ivyman

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 06:17:53 PM »
Thanks.

All good information and insightful.

I guess it's just two things:

1.  Nothing is wrong with a business designed to make money.  However, I have seen these college counseling businesses do things that not only challenge ethics, but would be illegal in the US. 

It's hard for me to find someone to work for.

2.  Right now, my job in Urumqi is good.  I make a full salary at only two hours of teaching a day.  Lots of time for extra classes, etc.  I'm just not sure what to do after that.

cruisemonkey

• Barfly
  • You could be next.
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 08:55:48 PM »
Better yet, plaster your F_ _ _ book page with pictures of all your "bad deed" adventures with those gap year girls. 

So... the bricks shouldn't be the only things getting layed?

The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

CWL

• Barfly
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 02:49:16 PM »
Just trying to encourage the entrepreneurial spirit.  bfbfbfbfbf

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • Benevolent Despot
  • 八九不离十
    • BeijingDaze
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 06:47:37 PM »
Thanks.

All good information and insightful.

I guess it's just two things:

1.  Nothing is wrong with a business designed to make money.  However, I have seen these college counseling businesses do things that not only challenge ethics, but would be illegal in the US. 

It's hard for me to find someone to work for.

2.  Right now, my job in Urumqi is good.  I make a full salary at only two hours of teaching a day.  Lots of time for extra classes, etc.  I'm just not sure what to do after that.

basically, you just have to apply..

public school gigs in Beijing are between 5K and 10K per month depending on qualifications and education

private school gigs are between 9K and 20K depending on both education and ethnicity

International school gigs are between 20K and 40K per month depending on qualifications.

plenty of jobs to around.
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the 'Jing: http://beijingdaze.com

cruisemonkey

• Barfly
  • You could be next.
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 09:02:24 PM »

Yeah... but he wants to volunteer.  ayayayayay

Ivyman

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 10:47:36 PM »
Thanks!