Tactics to Keep Class Morale and Motivation High?

• 5 replies

Ivyman

Tactics to Keep Class Morale and Motivation High?
« on: March 19, 2017, 07:02:58 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I am about to do a 2-month corporate training job in Urumqi.  Of course, I want to learn every tactic I can to make the class spectacular, because the stakes are quite high (financially and career-wise).

I will be asking a lot of questions.  This thread is, what tactics can I do to keep morale high?

Clients will be tired after a long day at work.  We need to get them better.

old34

Re: Tactics to Keep Class Morale and Motivation High?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 09:55:23 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I am about to do a 2-month corporate training job in Urumqi.  Of course, I want to learn every tactic I can to make the class spectacular, because the stakes are quite high (financially and career-wise).

I will be asking a lot of questions.  This thread is, what tactics can I do to keep morale high?

The stakes and financials are high for you. Good for you. So those of us who ACTUALLY have Corporate Training experience; What's in it for us? I have the impression from your previous posts that YOUR experience is in trying to promote Chinese middle school students' families to send their kids to American universities (preferably Ivy League schools). Am I wrong?

Promoting educational exchanges is a whole kettle of fish different from doing Corporate Training. But you got one thing right in both sectors: "Clients will be tired after a long day of work.' True dat.

Leave the professional corporate training to the professionals. You seem to try to carve out a new niche for yourself in China every 2-3 months.

You have the credibility of, say, Trump. No idea what you're doing, or why? Unlike Trump, though, in your defense,You're not shy about asking for advice. But unlike Trump you offer us very little motivation to help you. Instead of saying you want to make education in China great again, you constantly ask: "Help me make my "job du jour" great.

As Trump would prolly say, if he was a member of this group: 'What do you bring to the table?'

As I said earlier: So for those of us who ACTUALLY have Corporate Training experience. What's in it for us to help you? Too, we spend a lot of time and effort on our lessons (always paid for, and often contractually-bound with non-disclosure.

Leave the professional corporate training to the professionals. Go back to your Ivy League Cave

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 12:11:17 PM »

Amphetamines.
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

Ivyman

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 05:21:52 PM »
Hi Guys,

I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound the way you've characterized me.

Rather, I simply got offered a good side job doing corporate training.  I am sure there are some books, etc. that could get through all the junk.

I actually am doing a pro-social mission, rather than just trying to make money.  I have started up four free educational projects in my life, and currently do a lot of free teaching for Chinese students.

The biggest issue with ESL is that there is so much conflicting information.  In many other disciplines, there are much more organized and focused ways of doing it than ESL training.

As for making "Chinese education great again".  Unlike Trump's quote of making America great again, Chinese ESL education was never great.

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 02:32:57 AM »

The biggest issue with ESL is that there is so much conflicting information.  In many other disciplines, there are much more organized and focused ways of doing it than ESL training.

As for making "Chinese education great again".  Unlike Trump's quote of making America great again, Chinese ESL education was never great.

Actually I think that there is (rightly or wrongly) quite a lot of consensus on ESL, or at least 2 main approaches as explained in this link (which unfortunately has youtube links embedded, but I'm sure I'm the only westerner in China unequipped for that eventuality.
http://teflbootcamp.com/teaching-skills/teaching-methods-for-tefl/

Actually I've often wondered if you're actually more than one person (which is against the forum rules, so don't confess). How can one person hop around the country like you do? I honestly have no idea where you reside. You seem to be everywhere. I imagine a long line of laowai Spartacuses, one by one stepping forward saying, 'I am ivyman', 'No, I am Ivyman'.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 03:13:35 AM by Just Like Mr Benn »

Ivyman

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 05:48:36 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I'm a single person.

I simply do a lot of freelance work, etc.