• Home
  • Search
    •  
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: What Are the Biggest Recruiting Firms for Regular/Non-ESL Teachers?  (Read 290 times)

Ivyman

Hi Everyone,

I still have to figure out how to use Google better.  I simply need a laundry list of the top ten teacher recruiting firms.

Please, I am not trying to troll, etc.  I merely am trying to help a company I know by setting up some meetings with the top ten ESL companies.

Thanks

Escaped Lunatic

• Global Moderator
  • Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: What Are the Biggest Recruiting Firms for Regular/Non-ESL Teachers?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 06:56:58 AM »
Recruiters for teaching positions in China are generally ranked not by size, but by how evil they are.  It doesn't matter if they are Chinese or some other nationality.  It doesn't even matter if they are Saloon members.  Recruiters for teaching positions in China have universally proven themselves ready, willing, and able to commit a variety of crimes against those they recruit.  Many will also provide fake credentials to an unqualified candidate in order to collect the recruitment fee from a company foolish enough to trust the recruiter.

If you want to help a company, tell them to post their job openings directly.  Tell them to never do business with any recruiter.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!
EscapedLunatic.com

Ivyman

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 10:40:35 AM »
Thanks.  That's very insightful.

Escaped Lunatic

• Global Moderator
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 12:26:00 AM »
Raoul spent quite a bit of time warning about the evils of recruiters.  There were cases of jobs near a big city, with "near" turning out to be 12 hours by train.  There were even cases of people coming over, finding that the promised job didn't exist, and being held against their will until they were pressured into signing a contract for a job in a different area with significantly less pay.

Then there was a scumbag member of the Saloon itself.  He was an Australian teacher who wanted to make money by recruiting too.  He got another Saloon member as a partner.  I signed up through them.  Then, half way through my contract, they decided that they weren't making enough money and unilaterally changed the contracts.  No more paid vacation.  No more sick days.  Flat salary became hourly.  Approximately 1/2 of the money I should have been paid for the last 4 months of my contract was stolen.  After I left, 2 new FTs were hired by these criminals.  Both ended up with insane class loads 7 days per week.  Both quit and went back to the US.  Later, the pair of criminals decided to open their own school to compete with the place they worked at and "managed" the FTs for.  When this ended in bankruptcy, the Australian stole money from his own partner and moved north.  A couple of years later, he disappeared.  My hope is that he's rotting in a prison somewhere and gets to squeal like a pig every time he drops the soap.

Some countries and some types of jobs may have legitimate recruiters.  For some reason, all known cases of recruiters for FTs for jobs in China are liars and criminals.

EscapedLunatic.com

Ivyman

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 02:44:48 PM »
Sorry to hear your experience was so bad.  I think all of us can relate somehow to getting unfair treatment that would not be tolerated back home.

Escaped Lunatic

• Global Moderator
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 12:55:55 AM »
Sadly, my experience, bad though it was, is nothing compared to what other recruiters have done.  In all the years the Saloon has been around, not one honest and reliable FT recruiter has ever surfaced.
EscapedLunatic.com

Just Like Mr Benn

• Barfly
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 10:53:21 PM »
That's not true.

I got my current job through a recruiter, recommended by a saloon member.

I wasn't 100% happy with the recruiter, because they tended to do things that the school should have done, and wanted communication about everything to go through them or be copied into everything, meaning sometimes people weren't on the same page. I might be looking for a new job very soon, and I'm not sure I'd use the recruiter again. Really, anybody should be able to find their own job.

I both looked for my own job, but also gave the recruiter a chance, and using recruiters is so much faster. After a few hours of my own applications, I maybe had 1 or 2 solid job leads, whereas the recruiter had a lot of jobs to hook me up to immediately.

If I want to find my own jobs, I will really need to not use the recruiter unless I need to, to give myself time to contact all the schools / locations I want to, and give the schools time to get back in touch with me.

The appeal of the recruiter is that it's just so much faster and easier, and the pitfalls are quite subtle.

However, the recruiter was at all times honest and trustworthy. My only reservations are with the idea of using an intermediary on a relationship (with your future employer) which is so important.

It would be daft to trust anything a recruiter says, not because they would be deliberately dishonest, but because, they don't know the facts about the school. Perhaps the reason the recruiter didn't lie about the school I went to is because they didn't know anything. They did say at one point that they thought it was a good school (it's not) but I accepted that their opinion had as much bass in reality as a Trump tweet. When looking for a job in China, verify everything as much as you can, whether you're being told stuff by the recruiter, school, foreign teachers there or even saloon members.

I don't have any objection though to the thesis that nearly all recruiters in China are dishonest and unreliable.

Escaped Lunatic

• Global Moderator
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 12:25:13 AM »
Ill-informed recruiters who accidentally provide incorrect info can be just about as dangerous as recruiters who deliberately provide incorrect info.

Plus, considering the fees recruiters collect (not to mention the possibility that some may actually get a bonus if they can find a "cheap" worker), you've at least got a chance at a better rate of pay if you approach the school directly.
EscapedLunatic.com