"Wechat Quick Pay" vs The vendor has no PoS scanning tech....?

• 12 replies
"Wechat Quick Pay" vs The vendor has no PoS scanning tech....?
« on: December 08, 2016, 02:18:08 AM »
So I have a card in my Wechat now, and a Wallet, and Quick Pay makes sense - a vendor with Point of Sale technology can scan your goods and the barcode/QR code combo in Quick Pay and viola - but I see people using Wechat in simple restaurants too. This is not Quick Pay, right? They're just transferring money to the shop owner's Wechat?

On my main Wechat screen, I can tap the plus sign in the top right corner and get a menu that include the option "Money". "Money" gives me the choice of "Receive money" or "Pay vendors". "Pay vendors" goes to Quick Pay, but "Receive money" goes to a QR code that says "Scan to pay me without being friends". That's what smaller places without PoS tech are using, right? They have up a QR code and you scan it and nominate money to send to them.

RIGHT?!
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Re: "Wechat Quick Pay" vs The vendor has no PoS scanning tech....?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 02:24:48 AM »
Question answered:

https://www.techinasia.com/talk/5-ways-pay-wechat

2. QR Code Payment (扫码支付)

/doh

old34

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 05:14:23 AM »
My whole campus is connected with WeChat. Every shop, cafe, restaurant, small grocer, haircutting place. all of them take WeChat. Most have their own accounts which transfers money directly. A few smaller ones use the QR code and you have to type in the amount, but it transfers directly to them immediately. The nearby delievery services(McDonalds, KFC, Dinning) all kick over from their app to WeChat so when I order online, it's paid for.

I haven't spent a single kai of hard cash in months except at the vending machine in my classroom building. But I noticed last week, that it now has a built in POS that takes ApplePay. I'm happy with WeChat and Alipay. and the occasional two kai of coins needed to buy a bottle of water from the machine, just like the old days. WeChat and Alipay save me a trip to the ATM to reload my pocket money.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 03:02:02 PM »
Most have their own accounts which transfers money directly.

How does that one physically work? Do you or they scan something? Are you following their account and agreeing to some transaction they initiate?

/noob

old34

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 08:22:27 PM »
Most have their own accounts which transfers money directly.

How does that one physically work? Do you or they scan something? Are you following their account and agreeing to some transaction they initiate?

/noob

At one cafe I frequent, most of the waitresses have set up the cafe's official account on their phones. They input the amount of the bill. It then generates a QRCode for that transaction. I scan it with my phone and up pops the cafe's name in Chinese and the amount of the transaction along with a Pay Now button. Press the button and WeChat asks me to input my payment password and a moment later-DING-its transferred from my account to there's. For the newer waitresses who don't have the cafe account on their phone, they bring over a piece of paper with the cafe's QR code on it. Scan that and then your WeChat asks you how much to pay. The girl tells me the amount and I type that in followed by my payment password, and DING. Payment made and finished. The next door little food market uses this latter method when I get my daily groceries there.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 08:46:10 PM »
Looked in a restaurant I frequent today. Next to the front door they have Wechat and Alipay QR code posters. I see patrons scan one or the other of those, and then... I don't know what. This place didn't used to have this tech. For a while they were just an eat-in or takeaway place and the counter would get damn crowded right around 11:40. At some point they started accepting phone orders and the owner would deliver on his scooter. These days no phone ever rings, but the boss is so busy delivering orders I only ever see when he's leaning over the counter photographing today's food. That'll be the Wechat effect, I'm guessing. Changed their business in a matter of months.

Also, just to be clear, payments don't come directly from your bank card, do they? You pay from your whatever Balance you have in your Wechat Wallet, but you have to feed that Balance first, either by people sending you money or topping up from your card. Right?

I literally just set this up yesterday so still feeling my way forward.

old34

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 12:52:04 AM »

Also, just to be clear, payments don't come directly from your bank card, do they? You pay from your whatever Balance you have in your Wechat Wallet, but you have to feed that Balance first, either by people sending you money or topping up from your card. Right?

I literally just set this up yesterday so still feeling my way forward.

You top up the balance from your bank card and spend that. If you try to transfer more than you have, WeChat will take it from your bank card. ICBC will send you a message as if you had paid directly with your bank card and will adjust your bank balance accordingly.

Aas an aside, one of the most convenient uses of Wallet is the ability to top up your phone's balance without having to make a trip to the phone office when you're running low on phone credit.

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 08:18:37 PM »
Aas an aside, one of the most convenient uses of Wallet is the ability to top up your phone's balance without having to make a trip to the phone office when you're running low on phone credit.

That has been my principle purpose in setting this up. I'm a bit iffy on getting too dependent on the phone for daily purchases, but if there's discounts (or maybe just convenience) that offsets transaction fees...

But then I was watching the laoban at the restaurant today sort through her bucket of change (I'd given her 100 for a 11 yuan purchase) and I wondered if there won't come a day fairly soon when using cash around here is actually harder than e-transactions.

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 09:01:59 PM »
Question...

I get Wechat Quick Pay - your device creates a QR code and a barcode which a vendor can scan - your phone works like a debit card

I get items labeled with QR codes - you scan the code and a preset transaction pops up on your phone with item, price, and vendor already baked in - all you do is approve the transaction.

But what about those shops that have the one QR code pasted on their wall and you're supposed to use it for every transaction? Most of the restaurants around here have that - one for Wechat and another for Alipay.

What happens when you scan that one QR code?

I don't want to launch any nuclear missiles or give all my money to strangers. I must know.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 07:52:03 PM »
And jumping in here is there a way for Chinese students to pay people to PayPal using Wechat?
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 08:07:52 PM »
And jumping in here is there a way for Chinese students to pay people to PayPal using Wechat?

This article...

The real fight for Chinese mobile payments isn’t taking place in China

... gives the impression that, no, you can't, and might not ever be able to. Baidu Wallet, maybe. Wechat Wallet, no.

But I don't know for sure.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 11:36:23 PM »
Thanks not the answer I wanted :-(
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 03:38:19 PM »
Maybe I'm paranoid, but if my phone can make payments and my phone can be hacked, the possibility of these two abilities being combined would make me worry.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com