Places in China with Most and Least English Speakers?

• 5 replies

Ivyman

Places in China with Most and Least English Speakers?
« on: October 13, 2016, 05:20:58 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Can anyone tell me the places in China with the most and least English speakers?  I am guessing Beijing, Shanghai, and Shenzhen have the most English speakers, maybe T, etc. has the least. 

Although I love it when people cite research, I will also appreciate anecdotes, opinions, etc.

Thanks

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
Re: Places in China with Most and Least English Speakers?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 10:02:40 PM »
I think my 'Art' majors' classrooms have the least of anywhere in China.
 ahahahahah
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 11:49:56 PM »
not sure there's any stats or research to support an opinion.

Shanghai definitely has more English speakers than Beijing, i say that from personal experience as well as from an HR perspective: Hiring staff in service industries. In Shanghai, you don't even need to mention English as a requirement, it's taken for granted (for both locals and foreigners)

In smaller towns, it's definitely hit or miss.
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 05:04:49 PM »
Anywhere when I DESPERATELY need even a single piece of simple info - any previous English ability evaporates, as well as the ability to understand my limited Chinese or even understand photos relevant to the subject.

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 01:41:47 AM »
Yeah, bigger cities in general. Eastern provinces probably fare much better than the west. But seriously, don't expect much- staff at the Pudong Airport and South Railway station in Shanghai couldn't speak basic English on a couple of occasions. Fun times.

A-Train

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 11:19:39 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Can anyone tell me the places in China with the most and least English speakers?  I am guessing Beijing, Shanghai, and Shenzhen have the most English speakers, maybe T, etc. has the least. 

Although I love it when people cite research, I will also appreciate anecdotes, opinions, etc.

Thanks

Though Dalian has 7 million inhabitants, I'm always amazed at how little English is spoken.  You have a decent chance of hitting pay dirt if you can find a young person dressed fashionably, but that is hit-or-miss also.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck